Econ1101 worried (1 Viewer)

twenty12

HSC
First 2 weeks in and the content seems a bit hard to grasp, how much harder does it get?
Also after hearing another student barely passing the course last sem kinda got me worried

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Micro shoudn't be too hard. If you have problems maybe visit a lecturer during their consultation time?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Is this micro?
From memory I think it is.

To OP: Micro courses are really simple. Don't read into anything too much and just do what they tell you. Most of the time you'll just be plugging numbers they give you into an equation and maybe some first-order derivatives. Can't really remember much else in that course.

HSC
Uni Grad
From memory I think it is.

To OP: Micro courses are really simple. Don't read into anything too much and just do what they tell you. Most of the time you'll just be plugging numbers they give you into an equation and maybe some first-order derivatives. Can't really remember much else in that course.
I don't ever recall doing any first order derivatives. Perhaps the course has changed to make it less mathematical.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I don't ever recall doing any first order derivatives. Perhaps the course has changed to make it less mathematical.
Maybe that was Micro 2. I don't know. They all blend into each other.

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe that was Micro 2. I don't know. They all blend into each other.
I think you'd do that in micro 2 though, not micro 1. Micro 1 has barely any maths at all, just conceptual understanding, followed with tests with markers who mark like nazis.

halapenyo

HSC
First 2 weeks in and the content seems a bit hard to grasp, how much harder does it get?
Also after hearing another student barely passing the course last sem kinda got me worried
lol m8 first two weeks were nothing compared to later weeks. it gets really conceptual about week 7.

you will be fine though. as long as you stay up to date. final exam multiple choice is harder than the short answer.

HSC
Uni Grad
Final exam is much much harder compared with in class assessments as well. :/

And yes, first two weeks were really easy.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It gets a bit difficult. If you're having trouble, go to consultations and PASS classes...

There's a support structure. So use it!

Question2

HSC
N/A
How do you find the course consultation hours? None of my course outlines mention consultation hours at all....including micro.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
pretty sure it's in the course outline if they haven't listed it out on blackboard

Question2

HSC
N/A
I seriously dont see any mention of consultation hours in any of my course outlines.

CTRL+F "consultation" finds nothing relevant either.

tambam

HSC
I reckon if you've never done economics before its a but trippy at first to get your head around the rational thinking stuff.

But the textbook is well written, and the examples are pretty easy to understand. Peter Nichols (my lecturer last sem) does videos for the more difficult concepts which are good.

Also the stuff in the first few weeks is just a basic summary of topics later on, so you might gain more clarity later.

Question2

HSC
N/A
Apparently none of my courses have more than 1 hour of consultation time with a tutor o_O.

Is this the norm for UNSW?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Apparently none of my courses have more than 1 hour of consultation time with a tutor o_O.

Is this the norm for UNSW?
Most of my third-year subjects don't even have consult hours. No-one goes to them. The tutors end up sitting in the room reading a book. In the past three and a half years I have never once been to a consultation with a tutor. If I really have a question I'll ask after the tutorial or throw them an email. A lot of them are going informal now anyway, along the lines of "if you need a hand in person, send me an email and we'll arrange a time to meet at the library/asb/cafe etc", because they know consult hours are inflexible and stupid.

Question2

HSC
N/A
Strange...when i was at the university of auckland, there were several hours worth of consultation times per week for each subject and a lot more right before tests/exams/project deadlines. The demand for the consultation times were enormous...there were usually long queues outside the rooms.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Most students live too far away from campus to make a one-hour consultation time on a day other than your tutorial worth going to. For me, I only go to uni 3 days a week and it takes two hours to drive there and back. Fuck going all the way there just to ask one or two questions. This is the 21st century. If I can order food online and get it delivered without having to leave my home, why would I leave to ask a question that is just as easy to ask in an email.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)