economics allnighter crew (1 Viewer)

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you think the case study will be in short answers or essay?

leesh95

HSC
Is the prices and income policy considered a labor market policy?

sarahabc123

HSC
N/A
Lol guys.. You won't believe what happened today! I've been studying business studies for the past couple of days thinking that it was tomorrow instead of Eco.. Just found out that it was actually Eco and not biz lol stupidity at its finest :L I better get back to my studies, I think I've already wasted too much time :s

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol guys.. You won't believe what happened today! I've been studying business studies for the past couple of days thinking that it was tomorrow instead of Eco.. Just found out that it was actually Eco and not biz lol stupidity at its finest :L I better get back to my studies, I think I've already wasted too much time :s
loool shit

oh well, now you can @ce business!

MichaelLy

HSC
Would anyone like to explain to me how our CAD is affected by exchange rates?

Also, what has been causing the massive fluctuations in the exchange rates lately? The AUD was approximately 1.10US mid 2011 and was 0.86US August 2013 and is now 0.96?

Last edited:

studybuddy101

HSC
The valuation effect. Changes in the exchange rate affects the amount of foreign debt payable in $A so appreciation/depreciation impact the net income part of the CAD directly. If you wanted to expand you could integrate Pitchford thesis, draw diagrams etc..

bhsrepresent

HSC

Also, what has been causing the massive fluctuations in the exchange rates lately? The AUD was approximately 1.10US mid 2011 and was 0.86US August 2013 and is now 0.96?
fall from June 2011 from 1.10 -> 0.86:
- Dampened economic activity in China
- Falling demand for commodities/ falling commodity prices
- Fall in investment in mining
- Monetary easing

Rerise to 0.96:
- Government shutdown in the US ($A as a safehaven currency)
- Rising commodity prices

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
hey if they ask something about strategies to promote environmental sustainability, how would you approach this?

Renegader

HSC
hey if they ask something about strategies to promote environmental sustainability, how would you approach this?
Targets (e.g. MRET), regulations (e.g quotas and embargoes such as on leaded petrol and lights etc) and market-based policies (subsidies and taxes, such as subsidies for ethanol or taxes such as the carbon tax and the ETS)

Renegader

HSC
Targets (e.g. MRET), regulations (e.g quotas and embargoes such as on leaded petrol and lights etc) and market-based policies (subsidies and taxes, such as subsidies for ethanol or taxes such as the carbon tax and the ETS)

Oh and international agreements such as signing of the Kyoto Protocol

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad

Oh and international agreements such as signing of the Kyoto Protocol
Thanks! :)
Also would government policies be applicable too? And how?

leesh95

HSC
They can have regulations or market based policies

Regulations regulate economic behavior e.g. complete bans on use of certain substances,

Market based policies try to influence economic behavior like taxes, quota subsidies. You could talk about carbon tax, emission trading scheme, subsidies to car industries. Also monetary assistance to improve irrigation system etc.

I would also talk about why will the government want to promote environmental sustainability e.g. it could decrease the economies PPF in the future, the Garnaut commission report on climate change, to preserve inter generational equity etc.

leesh95

HSC
Can someone answer if prices and incomes policy was a labor market policy cause the notes given by my teacher says it wasn't.

MichaelLy

HSC
fall from June 2011 from 1.10 -> 0.86:
- Dampened economic activity in China
- Falling demand for commodities/ falling commodity prices
- Fall in investment in mining
- Monetary easing

Rerise to 0.96:
- Government shutdown in the US ($A as a safehaven currency)
- Rising commodity prices
Monetory easing, I'm assuming you are refering to the steady lowering of interest rates? So how has this contributed to a depreciation of the AUD?

studybuddy101

HSC
Can someone answer if prices and incomes policy was a labor market policy cause the notes given by my teacher says it wasn't.
They were a LMP but they play little to no significant role today what with enterprise bargaining and modern awards

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
They can have regulations or market based policies

Regulations regulate economic behavior e.g. complete bans on use of certain substances,

Market based policies try to influence economic behavior like taxes, quota subsidies. You could talk about carbon tax, emission trading scheme, subsidies to car industries. Also monetary assistance to improve irrigation system etc.

I would also talk about why will the government want to promote environmental sustainability e.g. it could decrease the economies PPF in the future, the Garnaut commission report on climate change, to preserve inter generational equity etc.
Thank you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)