• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Edison vs Westinghouse (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
Analyse secondary info on the competition between Westinghouse and Edison to supply electricity to cities

Is it necessary to talk about the business part of this story? About how Edison tried to discourage people to use AC because his company was in threat... etc etc?

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Yes you need to mention how Edison publicly did stuff like electrocuting animals with AC to discourage people from using AC.

Aindan

HSC
Yes you need to mention how Edison publicly did stuff like electrocuting animals with AC to discourage people from using AC.
what she said. That's the whole debate essentially.

jamesfirst

HSC
-Killing animals in public
-Using AC to kill people in electric chairs
-Westinhouse winning the contract

??

rawrence

HSC
-Killing animals in public
-Using AC to kill people in electric chairs
-Westinhouse winning the contract

??
Yep, that's basically what you need, make sure you do say why he killed the animals and people (i.e. scare people about how dangerous AC was)

Bit of fun trivia, Edison actually called electrocuting people/animals "getting westinghoused" haha.

Aindan

HSC
Edison is a nub. You know how he was like the most prolific inventor? well he actually just hired hundreds of other people to invent stuff in his factory and forced them to give their ideas to him!

jamesfirst

HSC
Yep I read that "Getting Westinhoused" in the Jacaranda Physics book.

I should to admire Edison but Physics HSC course helped me to realise that he is a dirty rat

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Amazing that "Edison vs Westinghouse" is part of study of HSC Physics. Next you'll have to study Gender Issues in Physics as well.

Last edited:

jamesfirst

HSC
Lol..

At least it's interesting :)

Also I think they can make a great question by relating Edison vs Westinghouse with loss of power in the transmission line.

malboroman

HSC
N/A
Edison "westinghoused" an elephant. The 1906? Nobel prize for physics was to be shared between Edison and Tesla (who westinghouse employed and took most of the credit) but Tesla refused to share it with Edison a mere inventor and if I may say so a thief of intellectual property.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)