educational accees scheme (1 Viewer)

hgpstar

everyone at our school got EAS points cos we are a CAP funded school. i didnt end up needing them but my friend got into a course at usyd with 2.8 points lacking. if you're school is dodgy then it doesnt require much form-filling at all, but i wasnt eligible for much else anyway.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Re: Re: educational accees scheme

Originally posted by Almighty Jafar

what is that?
The educational access sceme is where you get into uni courses with UAI's below the cutoff points. People who are idsadvantaged during the HSC years can apply for it. Disadvantages include financial hardship, rural / crappy schools, someone close to you dying or being seriously ill, parents divorcing / separating, injury or ilness that has affected your work, even lesser things like having a large family can make you elligible.
Generally you can get in to courses up to 5 points below the cut off, but its less for more competitive courses, and it depends on the Uni.

big_will08

hmm just wondering...

do you know when you can get the EAS booklet and application form etc?!

i asked my careers advisor and he said its too early to do it. He told me to hassle him later when he starts handing out the UAC guide for 2004!

RJ

HSC
Just wondering for anyone who applied under the EAS scheme, when do we find out the outcome?

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
you will recieve a letter from the unis you applied to telling you that you are eligable for the scheme. I think they send them out not long after the HSC is finished.

justy having maximum youth allowance makes you eligable so go for it!

RJ

HSC
thanks - i'm elligible for two categories. does this mean that if i'm successful for both, i'll get extra x2? Also, does after the HSC mean before any results come out? I hope so, because it would be a lot nicer to know what to expect!

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Yeah if u are eligible for 2 catefories of disadvantage then it just means u r eligible for more points.

Im not so sure about the maximum advantage being 5 points. My doctor told me that I would....not could.....be eligible for anywhere from 5 - 10 points.

:confused:

HSC
it depends on the uni and in fact campus

eg sydney uni does not give ANY benefit at all if the course u want in on is on their main campus

and the maximum is 5 points.....officially for most unis...

tho i know ppl who got 8 or more......depends how generous they are feeling really!!

best of luck to all you new hsc ers!!!!

apply for whatever u can!!!! the more the better!!

routemarker

HSC
well at unsw they rank all the EAS applicants to suffice the allocated EAS positions but as a rough estimate you will usually have to lie within 5 UAI points.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
so if you're on the worst one what's the highest number of points you can get? for some people, 5 will not do justice to what they should have got for their uai

routemarker

HSC
um the EAS doesnt necesarily give you extra points it does however give you the chance to get into a course within a certain UAI interval or some othet scheme (ie UNSW ranking EAS applicants so you can get 70 and still make it into LAW if you are the best applicant and that there are spaces left)

blue_chameleon

HSC
So is there any consideration about prerequsites.
Like, say there was a pre-req that meant u had 2 achieve a mark of 60% or higher in Maths 2 b eligible for a certain course.
Say u didnt get that mark for maths, but u still applied 2 the course and also EAS.
Would the EAS make u eligible 4 that course, even tho u didnt get the pre-req mark 4 maths

routemarker

HSC
um well uni applicants are assessed on the UAI only. pre requisetes no longer remain and they just have assumed knowledge and recomended knowledge.

RJ

HSC
Originally posted by RageAgainstBOS
it depends on the uni and in fact campus

eg sydney uni does not give ANY benefit at all if the course u want in on is on their main campus

How sure are you about this? From what I've been told, there are only two limitations under the broadway scheme - 2nd Year Med Science and Postgrad Law

blue_chameleon

HSC
Yeah I agree with RJ.........i havent heard that there are restrictions on the campus and uni.

HSC
I am sure about this....last year sydney uni sent me a letter.....dear lex blah blah blah your application for EAS has been sucessful your application may allow u to enter courses even tho your uai is slightly below required entry blah blah please be aware the EAS does not apply for camperdown and darlington campuses

dont care if u dont believe me....u will foind out when they send u the same letter

best of luck guys!!!

lex.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Awh k

Hey dont get me wrong Lex, i was just going off what i had heard.
Thanx 4 clearing it up anyway.

steven_tiger

i applied for two sections.

death of immediate family member, and
immediate family member being diagnosed with a serious illness.

dunno what that'll get me.

landi

i have applied under the illness/learning disability one for my ADD but i was denied special provisions for the exams because apparently i am just too damn smart.... do you rekkon these guys'll dogg me too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)