Elective music yr 9? (1 Viewer)

Lina3

HSC
Hi!
I am only in yr 9 this year and I am doing music elective. I was just curious to ask what do you cover over yrs 9-10?
I am grade 4 theory and grade 6 piano, at the moment music is a total bluge to be honest since we are doing theory at preliminary level and simple dictations.
What material will elective music cover by the end of yr 10? Just curious.

kyokaku92

HSC
I'm not sure how other schools teach but I remember my school, we mainly covered rock (Beatles, Elvis, Buddy Holly), 20th century (includes pop and jazz), music of other cultures (Africa and Aboriginal music) and classical (Haydn, Mozart etc.etc). Trust me, you hardly need to do much in Elective yr 9/10 music except know the basic music concepts and can play your instrument (compositions are really basic)

Imo, elective yr 9/10 music is a bit like Music 1 tbh. Are you considering picking music in yr 11/12?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
If you have a grasp of the basic theory, then you'll breeze through Yr 9 Music, and then HSC Music 1 is not much harder at all.

Lina3

HSC
I'm not sure how other schools teach but I remember my school, we mainly covered rock (Beatles, Elvis, Buddy Holly), 20th century (includes pop and jazz), music of other cultures (Africa and Aboriginal music) and classical (Haydn, Mozart etc.etc). Trust me, you hardly need to do much in Elective yr 9/10 music except know the basic music concepts and can play your instrument (compositions are really basic)

Imo, elective yr 9/10 music is a bit like Music 1 tbh. Are you considering picking music in yr 11/12?
I certainly consider doing music in yr 11/12 although not sure whether 1 or 2 course is for me. About 3 people in my class also do music theory and out of curiosity we asked out teacher about the HSC courses. He recomended course 2 for us since we already have basic theory knowledge. He also said that 2 is a very hard and intense course and that many people get low bands. Fingers crossed that I pass my exams and get to grade 6/7 theory by yr 11/12. Might as well enjoy writing out the C major scale while I can lol
:D

HSC
Uni Grad
I certainly consider doing music in yr 11/12 although not sure whether 1 or 2 course is for me. About 3 people in my class also do music theory and out of curiosity we asked out teacher about the HSC courses. He recomended course 2 for us since we already have basic theory knowledge. He also said that 2 is a very hard and intense course and that many people get low bands. Fingers crossed that I pass my exams and get to grade 6/7 theory by yr 11/12. Might as well enjoy writing out the C major scale while I can lol
:D
For you I think that Music 2 would be good, but the 90+ students (which is like ~40% of the candidature) are of 8th grade practical and up.
Music 2 isn't too hard as long as you know how to practice your pieces effectively. A clue to obtaining good marks would be choosing the right pieces. I suggest not choosing Baroque or Classical pieces if you are bad with technical related stuff because marks are deducted for your technical mistakes.

Approximately 75% of the candidates get above a Band 5 so it's not too bad. If you want a good scaling then try to get within the top 40% or at least the top half...

Hmm 6th and 7th grade music theory is pretty tough. Doing 5th grade theory atm and just a bit so and so... (could've done 5th grade last yr but teacher slowed it down only coz theory requirements lowered >_<)

Lina3

HSC
For you I think that Music 2 would be good, but the 90+ students (which is like ~40% of the candidature) are of 8th grade practical and up.
Music 2 isn't too hard as long as you know how to practice your pieces effectively. A clue to obtaining good marks would be choosing the right pieces. I suggest not choosing Baroque or Classical pieces if you are bad with technical related stuff because marks are deducted for your technical mistakes.

Approximately 75% of the candidates get above a Band 5 so it's not too bad. If you want a good scaling then try to get within the top 40% or at least the top half...

Hmm 6th and 7th grade music theory is pretty tough. Doing 5th grade theory atm and just a bit so and so... (could've done 5th grade last yr but teacher slowed it down only coz theory requirements lowered >_<)
If it all goes well I shall complete my grade 8 practical exam by yr 11,hopefully will be Associate by yr 12 and get good in my HSC. I sure have A LOT of work to do.

rundotop

HSC
N/A
In yr 7 I was doing grade 1 AMEB
now i do music + ext (topping).

nothing is impossible

HSC
Uni Grad
If it all goes well I shall complete my grade 8 practical exam by yr 11,hopefully will be Associate by yr 12 and get good in my HSC. I sure have A LOT of work to do.
Juggling between Associate and getting good is gonna be very hard...

My piano and music teacher suggested that I do not do this.

Swirlymist

HSC
I'm also in year nine but i didnt choose music because you're only allowed two electives at my school. I just finished my 8th grade piano and I decided last year not to choose music because I honestly didn't think I'd learn much at all, I thought it'd be a waste of time to be learning note names when I'm paying for private 5th grade theory lessons. But I might choose music in year 10 actually, because I hate food tech and will definitely be dropping that, and it would be easy to get A's and first in the year in music like I got in year 8, so I'm considering it. But do you find music to be ridiculously easy or do you actually get something out of it? Does it help your general knowledge in piano grades?

kcqn93

HSC
If you're an AMEB do music 2, music 1 isn't much different from year 9/10 music. All you do in music1 is bludge and every now and then you play a few pieces for assessments...

and btw does year 9 and 10 really matter? just bludge and relax while you still can!!

Stevemotto

HSC
Hi!
I am only in yr 9 this year and I am doing music elective. I was just curious to ask what do you cover over yrs 9-10?
I am grade 4 theory and grade 6 piano, at the moment music is a total bluge to be honest since we are doing theory at preliminary level and simple dictations.
What material will elective music cover by the end of yr 10? Just curious.
For year 9 you just do random rock and pop pieces (Crowded house, Micheal Jackson eg.) for music and sometimes you may need to compose some yourself for assessments and play it out to the class (be prepared for some embarrassment), however it may not be the case for your school. I think you do Australian songs after that (which is technically aboriginal songs and other insignificant and boring music). Classical music is also put in the middle of term 3-4. Year 9 is mostly a bludge for music, if you have a level of 4 or 3 theory and at least an Ameb level of 6-5 +. Year 10 however is a different story. Most schools would get you to do classical music in the start which involves Mozart's Eine Kliene Nach Musik (don't know if I spelt it correctly lol), Haydn's surprise symphony, Beethoven's symphony and maybe some others depending on how enthusiastic your teacher is. According to my schedule (im in year ten right now) theartre and movie music will be done next which takes up at least a term, after that I dunno. However atleast 2 solos and 2 group performances must be performed (so be prepared to dish out some stunning solos for good marks), a speech about a certain piece you enjoy (according to my school) and also composition and listening tasks. Compared to year 9 year 10 is more harder due to the preparation for the HSC and SC. However if you are on the border line of an Ameb 7th grade then passing wont be hard.

Stevemotto

HSC
I'm also in year nine but i didnt choose music because you're only allowed two electives at my school. I just finished my 8th grade piano and I decided last year not to choose music because I honestly didn't think I'd learn much at all, I thought it'd be a waste of time to be learning note names when I'm paying for private 5th grade theory lessons. But I might choose music in year 10 actually, because I hate food tech and will definitely be dropping that, and it would be easy to get A's and first in the year in music like I got in year 8, so I'm considering it. But do you find music to be ridiculously easy or do you actually get something out of it? Does it help your general knowledge in piano grades?
Music is a pretty good subject for getting extra marks for the HSC. Compared to food tech which is imo a bludge then music is a more worthy condition (unless you planning to do something revolving around hospitality for the HSC). Music is never "ridiculously easy". Unless your a genius music can be a challenge especially melody dictation (fuck I hate that shit) and other forms of listening writing theory. For me practicals are a breeze but I mostly loose 1 or 2 marks in practical cause im not Mozart. And to answer your question it does improve your general knowledge cause you actually learn stuff (dunno about ur school).

Lina3

HSC
I don't think you can get "completely nothing" out of doing yr 9 elective but it makes it much easier if you already know your theory. It's been a couple of months since I put up this thread and since then I realized that this is only the beginning. Yes I did enjoy getting 100% for my last theory and prac tests but many yr 12's who do Music 2 say it's a gaint step up from yr 9 basics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)