Electorates (1 Viewer)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I almost forgot about this but about a week or two weeks ago in the Sun Herald there was a few pages of changes to electoral boundaries. That means instead of being in the Fairfield district with of Fowler my suburb is stuck with bloody Bankstown in Blaxland. I don't want to be horded in with them lot. My suburb is a part of Fairfield! Not Bankstown! ARGH! It isn't just me, there are significant changes to other electorates too. :mad:

Optophobia

HSC
gerrymeandering is lame. They stuck us in with a safe labor electorate when previously we had voted liberal.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Optophobia said:
gerrymeandering is lame. They stuck us in with a safe labor electorate when previously we had voted liberal.
I think this is federal electorates, and well if Liberal had a say in it, they wouldn't stick you in a safe Labor seat at all.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
heh, the seat of parramatta, no longer includes parramatta.

Howard would be mildly concerned about Bennelong. Although the westward movement of the seat is not as much as was previously feared.
Also, the seat directly to the west is a very marginal labor seat (parramatta), which was in liberal hands untill the last election (Mainly due to Ross Cameron's extra-marital affair). In addition, Bennelong picks up some of Phillip Ruddocks seat (which are mainly liberal voters.).
Its still going to be quite a marginal seat, and will definately fall before the government does.

My seat of North sydney looks mostly unchanged. Definately will stay safe Liberal.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Throsby will remain in the hands of Jenny George until the day she retires or if she doesn't retire, the day she dies (God forbid).

The nice thing though, State electorates have been altered and my sead (Kiama) is not marginal. Next year will be difficult. I want to vote independent, but I have a feeling it'll just be Matt Brown vs. Liberal bloke. Do I want to see a state Liberal government after IMO the federal Liberal government raped Australia?

I'll be pondering on this one for months.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Bear in mind that these aren't confirmed changes, but proposed ones. The Nationals are shrieking blue murder about it because Gwydir, one of their seats in western NSW, is proposed to be abolished, but if it's approved the redistribution gives them opportunities elsewhere. (Calare, which is currently held by an independent, would move dramatically and in my opinion be likely to head back to the Nationals.)

My electorate, Macquarie, loses the Hawkesbury Council and gains Lithgow, Oberon and most of Bathurst districts. I think it makes more sense linking the Blue Mountains with Lithgow than with Hawkesbury (transport between the two is better, for instance), so I'm all in favour. Interestingly, Lithgow and Bathurst are notionally Labor, which puts Macquarie, previously a safe Liberal seat, back in play. Could be fun to watch.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
poloktim said:
Throsby will remain in the hands of Jenny George until the day she retires or if she doesn't retire, the day she dies (God forbid).

The nice thing though, State electorates have been altered and my sead (Kiama) is not marginal. Next year will be difficult. I want to vote independent, but I have a feeling it'll just be Matt Brown vs. Liberal bloke. Do I want to see a state Liberal government after IMO the federal Liberal government raped Australia?

I'll be pondering on this one for months.
The NSW Labor government aren't raping the state? :confused:

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
Triangulum said:
Bear in mind that these aren't confirmed changes, but proposed ones. The Nationals are shrieking blue murder about it because Gwydir, one of their seats in western NSW, is proposed to be abolished, but if it's approved the redistribution gives them opportunities elsewhere. (Calare, which is currently held by an independent, would move dramatically and in my opinion be likely to head back to the Nationals.)

My electorate, Macquarie, loses the Hawkesbury Council and gains Lithgow, Oberon and most of Bathurst districts. I think it makes more sense linking the Blue Mountains with Lithgow than with Hawkesbury (transport between the two is better, for instance), so I'm all in favour. Interestingly, Lithgow and Bathurst are notionally Labor, which puts Macquarie, previously a safe Liberal seat, back in play. Could be fun to watch.
Not sure if Peter Andren would lose his seat if Parkes, Forbes etc come into Calare. He is after all, extremely popular in Orange and Bathurst (he used to read the local news before he went into politics), and, from what I've head, is well liked in the Parkes/Forbes/Grenfell area. I think he would be able to attract the votes from the new areas. It would be good to be in a seat not run by a National, basically any dickhead who runs for the Nats is guaranteed victory in Parkes.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
sweet_as said:
Not sure if Peter Andren would lose his seat if Parkes, Forbes etc come into Calare. He is after all, extremely popular in Orange and Bathurst (he used to read the local news before he went into politics), and, from what I've head, is well liked in the Parkes/Forbes/Grenfell area. I think he would be able to attract the votes from the new areas. It would be good to be in a seat not run by a National, basically any dickhead who runs for the Nats is guaranteed victory in Parkes.
Fair enough. I don't actually know much about where Andren's base is, but his problem is that he loses almost all of his electorate, only keeping the Orange area (as far as I know). Redistributions of that magnitude are always hard for independents because they're not known in the new areas, but if he's also known in Parkes/Forbes/Grenfell, he could certainly win again. (That said, I can't see his vote reaching the 70s 2PP as it does at the moment. But then again, I may be wrong.)

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
Triangulum said:
Fair enough. I don't actually know much about where Andren's base is, but his problem is that he loses almost all of his electorate, only keeping the Orange area (as far as I know). Redistributions of that magnitude are always hard for independents because they're not known in the new areas, but if he's also known in Parkes/Forbes/Grenfell, he could certainly win again. (That said, I can't see his vote reaching the 70s 2PP as it does at the moment. But then again, I may be wrong.)
it will make for an interesting election for sure.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
I am very proud that my area (Kings X/Darlo) will be moved from Sydney to Wentworth which will finally get us a Labor MP in what was once a blue ribbon Liberal seat. Cya Turnbull, the homosexuals will turn against you.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
ihavenothing said:
I am very proud that my area (Kings X/Darlo) will be moved from Sydney to Wentworth which will finally get us a Labor MP in what was once a blue ribbon Liberal seat. Cya Turnbull, the homosexuals will turn against you.
Is Wentworth moving south to Coogee as well, or is it just going to move west?

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Losing some of the southern Randwick portion and moving west taking all of Paddington, Darlinghurst north of Oxford Street, Kings Cross and Woolloomooloo

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Wow. When the AEC say electorates should have common interests and profiles, they damn well ignore their own guidelines and put the bohemians in with Vaucluse. That'll be a seat to watch.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
LABOR has edged closer to winning government without releasing a single new policy or causing any shift in public opinion.
In new figures that will send a shiver down the spines of Coalition strategists, veteran election analyst Malcolm Mackerras shows that the swing required for Labor to unseat the Howard Government at the 2007 federal election has dropped from 4.4 per cent to 3.3 per cent.

The slimmed-down margin is the result of recent redistribution proposals from the Australian Electoral Commission affecting Queensland and New South Wales.

Mackerras's calculations also confirm that one of the biggest losers is millionaire banker Malcolm Turnbull.

Mr Turnbull fought a war of attrition against sitting Liberal MP Peter King to gain preselection for the safe eastern Sydney seat of Wentworth in 2004, but now sees his margin cut from 5.5 per cent to 2.6 per cent.

Wentworth leaps from 21st on the list of marginal Coalition seats to sixth.

The redistribution proposals are designed to compensate for the drift of population northwards by increasing the number of Queensland seats from 28 to 29 and reducing the number of NSW seats from 50 to 49.

When Mackerras releases his "pendulum" for the 2007 election, it will show that the new "median seat" - the least marginal Coalition seat required to fall for a change of government - will be Eden-Monaro, in rural NSW.

Eden-Monaro is held by Liberal MP Gary Nairn by a margin of 2.2 per cent, but will firm to 3.3 per cent after the redistribution. On the new pendulum, Eden-Monaro becomes the 14th most marginal Coalition seat. A uniform swing of 3.3 per cent would thus wipe out the Coalition's 28-seat majority in the House of Representatives.

On present electoral boundaries, the median seat is John Howard's seat of Bennelong, in northern Sydney. His margin of 4.4 per cent is cut to 4.0 per cent by the redistribution.

The average swing towards Labor over the past four Newspolls has been 4.3 per cent - precisely within the band that, on the new boundaries, would be sufficient to achieve government.

Mackerras, whose analysis is based on individual polling booths, yesterday explained the stronger position for Labor on the basis that "the safest Labor seats are now generally a bit less safe, which means they're not wasting as much vote in safe seats".

Other notable features of the new pendulum will include the shift of the western Sydney seat of Parramatta from the Labor to the Liberal side, while the safe Liberal seat of Macquarie, on Sydney's northwestern outskirts, becomes notionally marginal Labor.

The NSW redistribution abolishes the seat of Gwydir, currently held by retiring Nationals MP and former deputy prime minister John Anderson, while the Queensland redistribution creates a notionally Nationals seat named Wright, after poet Judith Wright.

Mackerras yesterday dismissed the chances of the Coalition succeeding in a protest against the AEC proposal.

"I've looked at it quite closely and I'm struck by just how logical the whole thing is," he said. "It pays no attention to the wishes of powerful people."
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19847061-2,00.html

Its not great for democracy when the AEC can effectively help determine the outcome of an election. Albeit one admitts the whole system of using electoral divisions can lead to the undemocratic situation of the party winning the popular vote failing to gain a majority of seats. I see somewhat of a flaw in the system, however its probally the most practical way.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
These new electorates are a joke. Half of nsw is almost in one seat (the new electorate in the West). The people from Bourke have rather different issues than Parkes, but admittedly, both being country towns they do have some same issues (but so does all of Syndey so why shouldn't it be one electorate:bomb: ).
Anyway, the electorate of Paterson is now a joke. The very town that was the central point of the electorate where the local members (and most of the candidates in the past) have their offices. There is no where practical Bob can move his office. Either way will mean he is removed from the other side of his electorate.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
He can move his office across the river, that will be in the old electorate.

The Victorian seats are in need of new electoral boundaries as the outer south eastern suburbs of Melbourne have boomed in recent years, the current seats of Holt and McMillan do not fit to capacity. The seat of Hotham has odd boundaries that cut the suburbs such as Oakleigh in half messily. New seats are also needed in Perth's outer suburbs. A redistribution in Victoria is vital for clearing up messy corners its odd electorates go across.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)