Electrical engineering query (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm currently considering transferring from my current degree (mechatronic/space engineering combined with science) to an electrical engineering discipline of some sort (while keeping my bsc), and was wondering if you guys could relay to me your experiences with such degrees, in particular software streams.

ioniser

HSC
yeah same here apparently mechatronics has a pretty high drop out rate,I heard the programming can be a pain and thus unis dont offer it together with a double

bradc1988

HSC
But robots!!! And I like the programming I'm doing at the moment, even though it is probably very basic, it's still good.

I think there's 40 or 50 spaces in mtrx at usyd, only around 20-30 are turning up to the lectures/tutes.

Trev

stix
HSC
I haven't done much electrical engineering at the moment, but I hate it, I'm going to have to change because I really can't put up with such boring shit.
ELEC1000 and CSSE1001 (intro. to comp. systems - ie. coding) are my two most hated subjects, but if it's coding you want you might like it... *shrugs*

ioniser

HSC
Trev said:
I haven't done much electrical engineering at the moment, but I hate it, I'm going to have to change because I really can't put up with such boring shit.
ELEC1000 and CSSE1001 (intro. to comp. systems - ie. coding) are my two most hated subjects, but if it's coding you want you might like it... *shrugs*

your only doing that intro. to comp. systems wait untill you do a full language as a subject

bradc1988

HSC
We're using MATLAB, I think that's just a compiler and not a language, but I don't know. I think UNSW is using Basic, what are you guys down the road using?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not dropping out of mx because of the programming, it's the mechanical engineering type subjects that suck.

ioniser

HSC
bradc1988 said:
We're using MATLAB, I think that's just a compiler and not a language, but I don't know. I think UNSW is using Basic, what are you guys down the road using?

well we are doing java the full language with bluejay(compiler),I know unsw they dont do any language in particular but its more of an introduction to each language like c++,c,java,visual basic,html and learn how to search on google( that made me laugh lol)

ioniser

HSC
withoutaface said:
I'm not dropping out of mx because of the programming, it's the mechanical engineering type subjects that suck.

dam you dropping out of mech space that would have been a killer to get into, you should transfer to unsw for electrical and pick up a co op scholarship of sought while you are at it

Thats a first im finding most people dont like electrical and mecha because of the programming

bradc1988

HSC
ioniser said:
well we are doing java the full language with bluejay(compiler),I know unsw they dont do any language in particular but its more of an introduction to each language like c++,c,java,visual basic,html and learn how to search on google( that made me laugh lol)
Hm your programming sounds more fun than ours...We are just doing real basic stuff at the moment, like writing simple scripts which is good as I've never done it before. The way the subject is taught here is shit, it's to slow and wastes a lot of time, I heard it used to be useful and interesting a few years back. I dunno, I'm just rambling.

withoutaface said:
Care to elaborate? Or no? I'm just curious.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
bradc1988 said:
Hm your programming sounds more fun than ours...We are just doing real basic stuff at the moment, like writing simple scripts which is good as I've never done it before. The way the subject is taught here is shit, it's to slow and wastes a lot of time, I heard it used to be useful and interesting a few years back. I dunno, I'm just rambling.

Care to elaborate? Or no? I'm just curious.
SOFT1001/1901 is not fun :'(
(i assume thats what ioniser is talking about when he says java and bluej)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ioniser said:
dam you dropping out of mech space that would have been a killer to get into, you should transfer to unsw for electrical and pick up a co op scholarship of sought while you are at it

Thats a first im finding most people dont like electrical and mecha because of the programming
I'm not transferring to New South for a multitude of reasons, and I'd have to drop my BSc to get co-op anyway.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
my bf transfered from, i think it was comp eng (something IT-y with lots of programming) to electrical this year (he's 3rd year, uow). from what he's told me, there's a lot of circuit making/mucking around with, a fair bit of maths, lots of reports, and they're doing a lot of matlab right now. his marks mightn't be that awesome, but he likes it and to me, that's all that really matters

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah sure. I know someone who graduated last yr with an B Eng (electrical) degree from usyd....

that's just about all I know about engineering though :p :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)