Electrical engineering (1 Viewer)

Simile

HSC
N/A
I am thinking of applying for electrical engineering /(maybe) business

I only do 2 unit math and no physics.

Would it be difficult? . I am planning to do a bridging course and do some study over the holidays after the hsc.

and what topics of the hsc/prelim physics go into the electrical engineering?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
inb4AD

Most hsc physics topics are relevant like age of silicon, electrical energy in the home, motors and generators.

Yes only having done 2U maths, you will struggle but if you can catch up then it should be fine

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I am thinking of applying for electrical engineering /(maybe) business

I only do 2 unit math and no physics.

Would it be difficult? . I am planning to do a bridging course and do some study over the holidays after the hsc.

and what topics of the hsc/prelim physics go into the electrical engineering?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
It's not too difficult if you only did 2u its definitely manageable but having done 3/4u makes it so much more easier

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
inb4AD

Most hsc physics topics are relevant like age of silicon, electrical energy in the home, motors and generators.

Yes only having done 2U maths, you will struggle but if you can catch up then it should be fine
Hahaha fuck I was gonna say that

Inb4AD

Simile

HSC
N/A
I changed what I wanted to do after I started year 12..ahah.

For ext two, are all the topics necessary for elec.engineering or just complex numbers.

What's inb4AD

Simile

HSC
N/A
Alright - cuz someone was in the same position and people told him to learn complex numbers as he did ext 1 and no physics.

Do I need to know about projectile motion, space, from ideas to implementation etc..

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Alright - cuz someone was in the same position and people told him to learn complex numbers as he did ext 1 and no physics.

Do I need to know about projectile motion, space, from ideas to implementation etc..
Physics won't help much if at all but that extension 1/2 stuff comes in handy for university physics

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

You'll learn everything you need to know in lectures for Physics and Maths tbh

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well as with all engineering you can attempt from the ground up in terms of work.

However, many things will be new to you and you will have to work really hard for it. Electrical Engineering can be very fun and rewarding if you enjoy the work you do.

As for what's relevant to electrical engineering, the following topics are ones from Physics which you will require a lot of after first semester (you won't require much about these in first semester of uni as you tend to do more generic engineering courses, but will require them later on in second semester of first year and beyond):

- World Communicates
- Electrical Energy in the home

- Motors and Generators
- Ideas to Implementation

These ones are relevant to Electrical in terms of Physics, but because all Electrical Engineers have to do physics involving kinematics in first semester, you may find the topics Moving About and Space helpful for your first semester of uni.

For the mathematical side of things, 2U is good enough and you can learn the rest as you go. However, I really urge you to learn how to become proficient in 3U/4U calculus and know how to manipulate complex numbers and use them as a form of representation. Complex numbers and calculus are a must for electrical circuits and you will need to be proficient with them as soon as you do circuit analysis.

As for the rest of the maths involved, it will most likely be dedicated to your first year physics courses, which will require mostly mechanics from MX2 and mechanics in MX1. You should be fine learning it at the university maths rate and many people do it fine after having a 2U background (although it is a really tough situation to be in). As for the physics, a slight background in some things from those modules outlined above would be good.

If you have any other questions relating to Electrical Engineering, feel free to post them here and I will answer.

And inb4AD meant "in before anomalousdecay comes and answers" :p

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
What you learn in the hsc are the basics and fundamentals of the subjects you do in Uni... Like in Maths u learn about certain topics for example Integration...but when u get into Uni they would teach you the application of integration. Is just that they wont teach you how to integrate from the beginning that just waste time, so that is why the uni wants you to know before u actually go into Uni.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Well as with all engineering you can attempt from the ground up in terms of work.

However, many things will be new to you and you will have to work really hard for it. Electrical Engineering can be very fun and rewarding if you enjoy the work you do.

As for what's relevant to electrical engineering, the following topics are ones from Physics which you will require a lot of after first semester (you won't require much about these in first semester of uni as you tend to do more generic engineering courses, but will require them later on in second semester of first year and beyond):

- World Communicates
- Electrical Energy in the home

- Motors and Generators
- Ideas to Implementation

These ones are relevant to Electrical in terms of Physics, but because all Electrical Engineers have to do physics involving kinematics in first semester, you may find the topics Moving About and Space helpful for your first semester of uni.

For the mathematical side of things, 2U is good enough and you can learn the rest as you go. However, I really urge you to learn how to become proficient in 3U/4U calculus and know how to manipulate complex numbers and use them as a form of representation. Complex numbers and calculus are a must for electrical circuits and you will need to be proficient with them as soon as you do circuit analysis.

As for the rest of the maths involved, it will most likely be dedicated to your first year physics courses, which will require mostly mechanics from MX2 and mechanics in MX1. You should be fine learning it at the university maths rate and many people do it fine after having a 2U background (although it is a really tough situation to be in). As for the physics, a slight background in some things from those modules outlined above would be good.

If you have any other questions relating to Electrical Engineering, feel free to post them here and I will answer.

And inb4AD meant "in before anomalousdecay comes and answers" :p
What are the job prospects of Electrical Eng..

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
What you learn in the hsc are the basics and fundamentals of the subjects you do in Uni... Like in Maths u learn about certain topics for example Integration...but when u get into Uni they would teach you the application of integration. Is just that they wont teach you how to integrate from the beginning that just waste time, so that is why the uni wants you to know before u actually go into Uni.
You will learn harder integrals in your first semester maths courses at most universities.

However, there are some universities which start from scratch and teach you basic integration and differentiation. Also, all universities will have some sort of "Fundamentals of Mathematics" course which will be kinda like the "bridging course" but it can be done in any semester of the year so that you can start the actual maths courses you need after knowing how to differentiate and integrate quite well.

However, 2U can suffice this as a supplement if the student is willing to put in the hard yards of work.

What are the job prospects of Electrical Eng..
Depends on the area or fields you go into with Electrical.

Most of the time the prospects will be similar to that of many other engineering fields.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
You will learn harder integrals in your first semester maths courses at most universities.

However, there are some universities which start from scratch and teach you basic integration and differentiation. Also, all universities will have some sort of "Fundamentals of Mathematics" course which will be kinda like the "bridging course" but it can be done in any semester of the year so that you can start the actual maths courses you need after knowing how to differentiate and integrate quite well.

However, 2U can suffice this as a supplement if the student is willing to put in the hard yards of work.

Depends on the area or fields you go into with Electrical.

Most of the time the prospects will be similar to that of many other engineering fields.
I am thinking to do electrical instead of computer ..but If I do, I wanna go in aerospace or even engine development. but would I able to find a job after grad or even a find an internship in sydney..?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I am thinking to do electrical instead of computer ..but If I do, I wanna go in aerospace or even engine development. but would I able to find a job after grad or even a find an internship in sydney..?
Well anyone is able to. Depends on the difficulty of getting it in terms of competition.

If you want to go into aerospace and engine development then you most likely would enjoy Mechanical more.

If you want to do a lot of Computing and Mechanical type work, then consider maybe Mechatronics.

Simile

HSC
N/A
I'm planning to go to uts, should I take the bridging courses?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)