Elite students exploit bonus points... (1 Viewer)

willemhenskens

HSC
N/A
perilakon said:
I suffer from chronic depression and anxiety but I didn't apply for anything for my school certificate and have been offered Special Provisions more than once by different parties. I attend a private school and looking at the Special Provisions for the SC, I can attest for the amount of people taking Provisions. I don't know the reasons why for most, but for some people, I do feel it is necessary. However, having Special Provisions doesn't necessarily grant you extra marks, we don't see any of them gaining a huge increase in mark gain.

I don't feel disadvantages with my illness though I could certainly apply for SP. I feel that if I perform to my complete capacity, then I have achieved what I can and if someone else gets a higher mark, it just means I haven't done enough work or tried enough. If someone else feels it necessary to carry a SP, then so be it, it doesn't grant them any more marks than time, and in the end, if they're a crappy student, they're a crappy student, if they're a good student, they're good.

Going to a private school, I think the media is just doing so much private school bashing right now. They had something on uniforms with the private school wearing vest and blazer and that, then the public school summer. That is just plain unfair, but you also have to remember, it is not the student's fault. If a parent feels they are fit to pay for their children to go to a private school, and the additional uniform, they should let it lie because in the end, it is a person's own decision to spend the extra money on uniform, or a plasma screen TV. Perhaps half the schools don't offer such additional uniform pieces? Even so, there are plenty of public schools that have vests and blazers too, and admittedly, private schools are rip-offs in concerns to these additional uniform pieces.

But what else to expect? We can choose to pay up to $500 to get a brick with our name on it!
You need to get some SSRI's. Worked well for me :)

dp624

HSC
Peteage said:
I had special previsions for my hsc exams because I had sweaty hands (hyperhidrosis) which become a particularly sweaty when you are nervous - which is obviously a pretty huge inconvenience when you are doing HSC exams. To compensate I was granted a writer for my subjects which where predominantly essay themed and was given an extra 5 minutes per half an hour to compensate for dictation. I believe the extra time is completely fair considering ideas are sustained far more difficultly when you are not writing and a lot of time is spend spelling words which are esoteric to year 11 students. All-in-all I managed to do 7-8 pages per 40 minutes which is the equivalent of what I can do without a writer without the extra time; so it seems to me a pretty fair deal.

I wouldn't have felt disadvantaged if I didn't have my hand condition and did not have special previsions. It is hardly fair to suggest I have exploited the HSC to gain extra points.
Actually it seems like I have the same condition as you... if what you're describing is actually it.
lol
and i just thought i was sweaty

EDIT: 1500th post

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
i dunno... it may sound a little mean but special provisions for sweaty hands? Come on, if its that bigger issue (in holding a pen) you can just get one of those spongy pen grips.

I mean, my fingers bled in the HSC from so much writing, they swelled up twice their size and some of my exams were very painful as a result (im sure this happened to many many others) but do i get special provisions? no, cuz its just something that happen in the exams, like getting sweaty hands, it fucking sux, but you put up with it.

dp624

HSC
-may-cat- said:
i dunno... it may sound a little mean but special provisions for sweaty hands? Come on, if its that bigger issue (in holding a pen) you can just get one of those spongy pen grips.

I mean, my fingers bled in the HSC from so much writing, they swelled up twice their size and some of my exams were very painful as a result (im sure this happened to many many others) but do i get special provisions? no, cuz its just something that happen in the exams, like getting sweaty hands, it fucking sux, but you put up with it.
Yeah, but ysee none of us got speshprovs for sweaty hands. That's the way it should be, not like getting +40 minutes for hands hurting or whatnot. Damn desperate people who are annoying enough to presume that they deserve special provs.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
dp624 said:
Yeah, but ysee none of us got speshprovs for sweaty hands. That's the way it should be, not like getting +40 minutes for hands hurting or whatnot. Damn desperate people who are annoying enough to presume that they deserve special provs.
?

Peteage said:
I had special previsions for my hsc exams because I had sweaty hands (hyperhidrosis) which become a particularly sweaty when you are nervous - which is obviously a pretty huge inconvenience when you are doing HSC exams. To compensate I was granted a writer for my subjects which where predominantly essay themed and was given an extra 5 minutes per half an hour to compensate for dictation. I believe the extra time is completely fair considering ideas are sustained far more difficultly when you are not writing and a lot of time is spend spelling words which are esoteric to year 11 students. All-in-all I managed to do 7-8 pages per 40 minutes which is the equivalent of what I can do without a writer without the extra time; so it seems to me a pretty fair deal.

I wouldn't have felt disadvantaged if I didn't have my hand condition and did not have special previsions. It is hardly fair to suggest I have exploited the HSC to gain extra points.
this kind of thing irritates me

dp624

HSC
meaning neither of georgefren or I got them. (actually i dont know about georgefren. fine, i didn't get any)
probably should have made it clear.

perilakon

HSC
dp624 said:
meaning neither of georgefren or I got them. (actually i dont know about georgefren. fine, i didn't get any)
If someone has a hug problem with it, like they actually can't hold a pen right even with the squidgey grips, I think it's fair enough, but I think they should be assessed on other issues, such as whether it's just that or some huger issue, because it's like ADHD in a way. Not meaning to offend, but sometimes ADHD is just diagnosed by doctors not simply because the patient might actually have it, but because it's just a disciplinary problem. If I wanted, I could act all fidgety, and not be able to sit still too, but it just lands as discipline. It can be the same with sweaty hands. For all my exams, knowing I usually sweat on my hands, I just wipe my hands on my dress, even though it's gross, it's sweat be gone! I continue with my exam and that's all.

Some cases can be excluded, but also remember that a lot of people get pampered in the private system. It just happens, you pay more money for it. Nothing is going to be done about it because it'll always be that way.

It happens in typical society and I don't see the SMH complaining about that.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
dp624 said:
Do you need to prove this sweaty hand stuff to apply for it? I don't have sweaty hands but when I'm writing essays briskly I do get a sore elbow.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
perilakon said:
For all my exams, knowing I usually sweat on my hands, I just wipe my hands on my dress, even though it's gross, it's sweat be gone! I continue with my exam and that's all.

Some cases can be excluded, but also remember that a lot of people get pampered in the private system. It just happens, you pay more money for it. Nothing is going to be done about it because it'll always be that way.

It happens in typical society and I don't see the SMH complaining about that.
I understand that's the way it is, but still, what a pathetic excuse. Especially when they get the same treatment as those suffering hardcore anxiety disorders

dp624

HSC
Dragonmaster262 said:
Do you need to prove this sweaty hand stuff to apply for it? I don't have sweaty hands but when I'm writing essays briskly I do get a sore elbow.
yeah, get a doctor or something
i wouldn't know, didn't apply

lionking1191

HSC
-may-cat- said:
I understand that's the way it is, but still, what a pathetic excuse. Especially when they get the same treatment as those suffering hardcore anxiety disorders
lol. is there anyone who doesn't get sweaty palms and sore joints after 3 hours of non-stop writing?? now that'd be a medical condition

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
georgefren said:
True. I dont see how many of those special provisions actually HELP : a laptop or scribe isnt going to give you a significant advantage.
a laptop would for me.

i can type faster than most people can talk.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
yeah, get a doctor or something
i wouldn't know, didn't apply
i go to a public school and most of the people i know who got spec previsions for that^ did not need medical proof. they just like talked to deputy about it and that was enough.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
gibbo153 said:
i go to a public school and most of the people i know who got spec previsions for that^ did not need medical proof. they just like talked to deputy about it and that was enough.
wtf, its meant to go through the BoS

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Are you kidding me?

They are not really "elite students" if they exploit bonus points.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
lyounamu said:
Are you kidding me?

They are not really "elite students" if they exploit bonus points.
not if they are going to an elite school lol

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I have quite srs atopic dermatitis and it's been presisting for so long that it's quite evident by looking at some parts of my body (has been healed and wounded etc so many times).
However, I have not gone to see doctors that many times till now since i know that it won't particularly help me. Only two times since yr9. Would I be considered elligible for EAS and/or special provision for 2009 HSC?

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
study-freak said:
I have quite srs atopic dermatitis and it's been presisting for so long that it's quite evident by looking at some parts of my body (has been healed and wounded etc so many times).
However, I have not gone to see doctors that many times till now since i know that it won't particularly help me. Only two times since yr9. Would I be considered elligible for EAS and/or special provision for 2009 HSC?
Yes I'd advise that you apply for Special Provisions. In your case your skin condition would affect you in an exam I'd imagine. I have a similar case to you, I have urticaria which can be quite annoying especially when you're under a lot of stress. I applied for special provisions for my music performance exam for a fan to be placed nearby in case I became too stressed before my performances. For me I can sometimes try to "control" my urticaria by avoiding some foods and making sure places aren't too hot, have too much dust, but yes in your case I'd say special provisions would be a good idea for you.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
TehAzner said:
Yes I'd advise that you apply for Special Provisions. In your case your skin condition would affect you in an exam I'd imagine. I have a similar case to you, I have urticaria which can be quite annoying especially when you're under a lot of stress. I applied for special provisions for my music performance exam for a fan to be placed nearby in case I became too stressed before my performances. For me I can sometimes try to "control" my urticaria by avoiding some foods and making sure places aren't too hot, have too much dust, but yes in your case I'd say special provisions would be a good idea for you.
Yay! I guess I'll seek a way to apply for it asap although HSC is far away.. better to be on the safe side

anyway thanks heaps for the reply

but just a question: how do I prove that I have those conditions that are serious enough to get a special provision? The degree of seriousness fluctuates a lot for me so yea

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)