Engineering At Macquarie Uni (1 Viewer)

habitres

HSC
Does anyone know about the quality of the engineering facility at macquarie university? (most likely will be doing mechanical engineering)

Eg. what is it like, how does it compare to UNSW etc.

Any info would be great.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I don't know it personally, but at the end of the day you would obtain the same nationally recognised qualification whether you do the degree at Macquarie, UWS or UNSW etc.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty sure they don't have Mechanical at Macquarie.

Only Electrical and Computers.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergradu...f-engineering/major-in-mechanical-engineering

does this count? Or is it different? Not sure lol, i just googled it
Yes, that looks a like mechanical engineering degree to me.

They offer the following:
Bachelor of Engineering with a major in Computer Engineering
Bachelor of Engineering with a major in Electronics Engineering
Bachelor of Engineering with a major in Mechanical Engineering
Bachelor of Engineering with a major in Mechatronic Engineering
Bachelor of Engineering with a major in Software Engineering
Bachelor of Engineering with a major in Telecommunications Engineering
Bachelor of Engineering with a major in Wireless Engineering

So basically mechanical, electrical (although not power systems; i.e. the most employable field) and software.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
electrical (although not power systems; i.e. the most employable field)
I think there must be some reason for that, i've heard a few years back they didn't offer power at UTS either.

Anyway to answer OP's question, reputation wise atleast Macquarie would be better than UWS. But you are probably better off going to UNSW, UTS or Usyd unless you have a good reason to go to macquarie. Macq dont have a dedicated Engineering faculty from my understanding.

habitres

HSC
Right.
Main reasons for looking at Macq would be I'll be living on the northern beaches so travel time is less.
Also from my understanding Macq is very online facilitated - can do some coursework from home etc.

Just annoying because I wasn't here/won't be here for any of the open days.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah, macquarie seem to be pretty good with offering lectures online and stuff. If possible, get in contact with some current students (maybe ring the uni and ask?) and find out what time time tables are like. I know UNSW isn't too flexible with that and it's hard to avoid 5 full days a week, but at UTS this whole year i've been 3 days a week with a couple days where im there for a few hours at most. The transport time is made a lot worse when you have to be in at uni every day.

As mentioned earlier, as long as you don't do some "Engineering Science" kind of course or a diploma you should be qualified by Engineers Australia and since it's accredited the course content and structure shouldn't be extremely different (in a bad way) among unis because of that. The GO8 unis, UNSW and USYD in nsw, hypothetically should attract the "better" academics due to the focus on research at them so you may have better lecturers there. But i've also read that stuff is irrelevant until post grad anyway.

HSC
N/A
macquarie is crap, the campus itself is enough to demotivate you
go for UNSW! best engineering school in the southern hemisphere isn't it?

Tiernanv

HSC
If you're only going to study engineering, expect long days at uni(i think that's normal for any science/engineering student?). Im doing business with mine so the amount of hours are far less. Before choosing your major, you get a taste of each of disciplines in engineering, so for example programming, electronics, physics etc. Tutes are great, lecturers are good although there are the odd lecturer that people dont like but that's normal. I only did maths from my engineering unit so i cant say much on the core subjects but for maths they dont record their lectures. I find it annoying as you have find your own way of getting the notes/learning the content. In the end you'll be accredited and with any engineering degree expect to put some hard yards and late nights haha.

If you want to ask questions about the course, check out https://www.facebook.com/MQ.Engineering.society?ref=ts&fref=ts
That will be the most informative place to go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)