Engineering :S (1 Viewer)

Mina94

HSC
N/A
okay well the problem lies in myself, not until recently ive thought about engineering which is considered too late since after i finished yr 11 i dropped physics and half way through yr 12 i dropped ext maths. yes i regret dropping it but i was wondering how much will i struggle with engineering at uni, i dnt want to be failing, also which uni is considered the best, is there any help at any of the unis whilst doing your engineering degree? also is there like a fundamentals of maths elective or something that can be done to ensure that you are set for the level of maths, engineering throws at you?

thanks in advance :):)

ps: what type of engineering do you guys prefer?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UNSW

They have math help classes you can use to get help with maths. There's also fundamentals and bridging courses to get you up to speed.

andyunderpants

HSC
Engineering is always a struggle. It is never easy.
However, you not taking up physics or ext maths in high school shouldn't hinder your performances too much.
After the first or second year, you won't have to touch difficult maths ever again...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
As long as you pay attention in work hard in first year you should be fine.

I got distinctions in my engineering/Maths subjects for first semester with barely any work and I didn't do physics.

So if you put in effort not having done Maths extension shouldn't hinder you that much.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
How hard is the engineering maths...like if i wasn't naturally good at math and struggled despite working hard...i would struggle with engineering?

Oh and what about the physics...if i found HSC physics challenging would i find engineering physics challenging...
chem engg maths isn't even a thing

Mechanical/mechatronic/civil is like linear algebra and projectile motion and forces and stuff so you'd want to be good at maths to do them.

Yes.

I didn't do HSC physics and in year 11 I got 51% in the yearly exam, but I passed first semester physics (but you could probably do the fundamental level, whereas I did the regular level which is for people that did physics in high school) with just lower then a credit, and I didn't try. So as long as you try you're good.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
chem engg maths isn't even a thing

Mechanical/mechatronic/civil is like linear algebra and projectile motion and forces and stuff so you'd want to be good at maths to do them.

Yes.

I didn't do HSC physics and in year 11 I got 51% in the yearly exam, but I passed first semester physics (but you could probably do the fundamental level, whereas I did the regular level which is for people that did physics in high school) with just lower then a credit, and I didn't try. So as long as you try you're good.
Why don't you try? :p

D94

HSC
N/A
That's good so stuff like mining and petroleum dont require math as well?
If you go to UNSW, there's going to be maths for all engineering, and the maths courses are the same for all engineering streams. What do you mean by "don't require math"? It's engineering, even mining and petroleum engineering requires maths!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
That's good so stuff like mining and petroleum dont require math as well?
All engineering has Maths and physics, but some have it easier and have more of a focus on their own concepts and stuff.

I'd say petroleum would have some force and vector stuff and mining would be pretty Maths-based. But I haven't done either so wouldn't know.

Clearly this isn't my area as i struggled with 3u maths (dropped to 2u) despite having a tutor and physics was a huge workload and didn't study as much in high school but you seem to be going well despite not much physics.
maybe you should look into another degree then because I just keep hearing "omg, I'm going to struggle" instead of "I'll work harder!"
So maybe you aren't cut out.

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
@Riproot What's a good science major when combined with Chemical Engineering??? Maths (Maths and stats), Chem or Phys? Btw, how many majors can you do with a combined science degree?

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
OP

You can always enroll in the maths/physics bridging courses during the holidays to ensure you'll have a balanced start before heading off to uni to do Uni maths and physics. Otherwise you can always study in your spare time post-HSC.
On a side note, I heard that HSC physics is no where near Uni Physics as in complexity... (just my understanding)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)