English Advanced ----> Standard?? Any advice? (1 Viewer)

daina

HSC
Hi all im thinking of changing nmy subject advanced english to english standard although im not too sure if i should or shouldnt.

I mean, im doing okay (i guess :/ ) but i dont want to do miserably bad in my UAI for the HSC. My aim is to get at least 90 because i need to have at least 80UAI for the course i want to get into at UNI.

Here are the current marks i recievd for this years test in Adv. English:

20/30: Listening Task
9/15: Writing Task: Othello Eulogy
6/10: Reading and writing task: In-class Analytical Response

I know there horrifying marks and most of you will probably think theres absolutley no way you will be able to get 90+ UAI let alone 80 :(

Here my other subjects i do:

Software Design and Development: Marks: 19/20
Information Perocess and Technology: Marks: 76/80
Advance English
Mathematics: Marks: 7/50
Chemistry: Marks: 15/50
Economics: Marks: 37/70

I also work about 13hrs a week at 2 different locations, I should probably consider quiting 1 of them what do you guys think?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you want to get 90 UAI, I would seriously consider quitting a job. It's way too much.

Seems like you have three/four main areas to work on. Maths, English, Chemistry and Eco. Eco scrapes a pass, so it's not as in need of attention as the other three. Your Maths needs a massive improvement. Doing half an hour of Maths every night will help you a lot. Same with Chemistry - textbooks will benefit you a lot.

For English - you need to make sure you go over all your core texts - and ask your teacher to help you with your analysing of texts, or your structuring of essays. You need to identify what your weaknesses are - and I mean specific weaknesses - not just "English" - I mean "essay writing" or "analysing this play". Teachers are there to help you. Worst comes to worst, create a new thread, and most of us will be more than ahppy to help you.

Getting a UAI of 90+ will only come if you work hard. You can't just fly that shooting star....

Lyounamu will be of more help than I will - so wait until he comes home from school. :)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Ok first off you need to reconsider your position with work, 13 hours a week is way to much (especially in the HSC year) and if you want a UAI of 90 you are going to have to have to cut that down alot. Remember you have your entire life to work and make money, but your HSC is one year out of your life.

It seems that you are also struggling in Mathematics, Chemistry and English. What you must do now is identify where your problems lie in each subject is it because of your study program? Do you find exam pressure difficult? Your teacher should be able to give you a clear indication as to what you need to improve, just ask. Remember it is Year 11; you still have time to get yourself into a consistent and effective study routine for the HSC. I suggest not dropping to standard right at the moment, identify where you are losing marks and why (in your case it’s probably the long work hours). Study hard, apply yourself and there is no reason you can’t excel. :)

-tony-

HSC
if u put in the hard work i dont think changing courses can make much of a difference

i do advanced and for my first assessment task i got 7 /10 for the feature article
and 14/15 on the pseech
both were done the nite before and if i did it earlier i could hav improved on my article mark

ccc123

HSC
daina said:
Hi all im thinking of changing nmy subject advanced english to english standard although im not too sure if i should or shouldnt.

I mean, im doing okay (i guess :/ ) but i dont want to do miserably bad in my UAI for the HSC. My aim is to get at least 90 because i need to have at least 80UAI for the course i want to get into at UNI.

Here are the current marks i recievd for this years test in Adv. English:

20/30: Listening Task
9/15: Writing Task: Othello Eulogy
6/10: Reading and writing task: In-class Analytical Response

I know there horrifying marks and most of you will probably think theres absolutley no way you will be able to get 90+ UAI let alone 80 :(

Here my other subjects i do:

Software Design and Development: Marks: 19/20
Information Perocess and Technology: Marks: 76/80
Advance English
Mathematics: Marks: 7/50
Chemistry: Marks: 15/50
Economics: Marks: 37/70

I also work about 13hrs a week at 2 different locations, I should probably consider quiting 1 of them what do you guys think?
Recommended course of action:

*Quit both jobs unless you're contributing to necessary family income.
*Drop from 2u Maths to General maths.
*Seriously pick up in chem or drop it (or drop maths instead of dropping to general and put in the extra periods into improving chem.)
*Pick up in Eco.
*Don't drop to standard at this stage. Talk to your teacher and identify where you are going wrong.

-tony-

HSC
i think that taling to ur teacher will be the best indication u can get

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
you english marks are average, as are the rest, if not below. for your goal uai you need to firstly, unless supplementing family or indepedent living income, quit at least one of your jobs.
seriously, you have no idea how much you will excel if you do.

i honestly dont feel your english marks are bad enough to drop down. theres plenty of room for improvement, and, year 11 is a great time to get into a swin of english. keep at it, honestly, and seek out advice from your teachers and the top ranking students. work on improving towards the end of the year; if you still feel like a horrible failure, then maybe drop down, but, just remember that less than 2% of the state will get a band six in standard english.

i dropped from 2unit maths to general about this time in year 11, best thing i ever did.

cant speak for the rest of the subjects caussse i dont do them.

-tony-

HSC
thats rite about yr 11 being the time to get into the swing of things
i was a little shocked at the start of the yr but im bak into it now
just do wat u think will give u the best mark

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should stick with advanced because you are doing alright in it but not not bad.

bored of sc

HSC
hmmm.... stay in advanced till the end of year 11 i reckon - that way you don't miss any work in standard as you start afresh in the HSC course

daina

HSC
for the next four weeks im working for 22hrs as someone cant come in :( so thats like Monday Wednesday Friday Satuday and Sunday.

I really want to quit but the people who i work for are really nice and i dont want to dissapoint them :( plus i dont know what to say to them to quit.

I dont have any family issues i just work for experience. ($7.50 an hr isnt that great ;)

Isnt Standard English 100x easier than Advanced English or is Standard more harder.

And because im going good at advance wouldnt it be easier to outrank all the standard english students? Since only 2% of students gets a band 6?

daina

HSC
Do you have to do speeches in Standard English Next Year? Cause i hate speeches and dont get really great marks for it (last year i got like 9/20 :rolleyes: )

Edit: I think i got 6/20 actually :rolleyes: :(

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC
daina said:
I dont have any family issues i just work for experience. ($7.50 an hr isnt that great ;)
Geez, is the experience you are looking for something along the lines of exploitation?
:eek:

jazzbaby

HSC
my friend at boost gets like $6.60 ..yeah anyway .. I think you should stay in advanced..ur marks aren’t THAT bad.. and quit one of those jobs.. and yeah basically everythin else I was gonna say has already been covered.. lol.. good luck 

justmeme

HSC
N/A
op was way too long, so i didnt read it. but going by thread tittle, its fairly predictable.

i dropped to standard. best thing i could do. now ranked from very low to a currently 3rd.

-tony-

HSC
i noe a few ppl that r dropping down to standard

seriously just think about it and talk to people

HSC
op: you are doing pretty alright in english. i'd me more worried about your other subjects though. but yes it is possible to get a uai of 90 in standard but it really depends on the individual.

Schoey93

HSC
English (Advanced), despite all the people who whinge about it being difficult, is not such an onerous, painstakingly hard course. Obviously, if you're having trouble with it, yeah, drop down to Standard English, but you may very well get bored out of your skull as it is significantly easier, in my opinion.

Put your decision down to this: are you going to pass Advanced English and is Standard English going to be a bludge?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)