• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English Extension 2 (NEW CLASS of 2005!!!) (1 Viewer)

phatic

HSC
fine ambiguity said:
Hrm.

Read TS Eliot's "Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock" by any chance?

If not, you definitely should, if those are the themes you're interested in (still -- is it just me or does it seem to change every few seconds -- even after I've done my official proposal!). It explores /exactly/ those issues you mentioned.

And for an idea, I think it'd be /very/ easy to link that to 'inner journeys', but as you said, don't limit yourself, just write it and then figure out the links :)
I have now... Thanks, it's perfect. I'm definately reading more of his work...

Aha, too true. Once I define the topic, things will go smoothly... I have too many ideas for poems now, that the proposal may have to remain vague. It would be so much easier if one didn't have to define one's work before it has even commenced.

What are you doing for your major work? Media, ideas, etc...?

woogie

HSC
Hey,

I'm doing a suite of poetry inspired by Virginia Woolf's book 'Orlando' with a Postmodern ideology. It will show that gender are constructs in our world, and as the great Virginia said herself 'like clothing we chose to put on and take off.' Its an enjoyable course but can get frustrating at times.

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
phatic said:
I have now... Thanks, it's perfect. I'm definately reading more of his work...

Aha, too true. Once I define the topic, things will go smoothly... I have too many ideas for poems now, that the proposal may have to remain vague. It would be so much easier if one didn't have to define one's work before it has even commenced.

What are you doing for your major work? Media, ideas, etc...?
I definitely thought it would be appropriate :D Eliot's by far my favourite poet (and I'm not really a big fan of poetry in general!), "Lovesong" and "Rhapsody on a Windy Night" are my favourites.

We did our proposal at the end of last term, so theoretically I have an idea to stick to (theoretically!). I intend to do a short story with a fragmented structure, with features from the modern genre (as distinct from post-modern, which I quite dislike), that explores the notion of experience -- how we perceive it, what value it has etc, and especially the idea that what one person experiences is as equally valid as the next person's, even if it's what we perceive as the 'wrong' experience.

It's a relatively simple idea, but the way in which I intend to structure it will be a challenge, and I doubt if I can pull it off! LOL. But I can try and see what happens :D

illodous

Angels...
HSC
Yes I realise, I'm quite late in replying :p

phatic said:
Gah, so this loneliness will continue? I've been living in the country for a year (since finishing my HSC) and am doing part of the HSC again in one year as part of pathways.

Hehe, don't worry. It's all pure charlatanry, I can assure you. :D Like I have ideas and they just empty out onto a page... It's actually quite a stroke of luck that sense can later be made of anything I write. Hmm, I could even say that I'm an automatist like the surrealists... I wonder what the markers would make of all this megalomania? :D

Yeah, I don't know about linking it to the extension and advanced courses, considering I haven't even started the prelimenary course yet... I figure I'll make the links afterwards. I might even write in my proposal "I don't know what I'm going to write about" or something to that effect. It'd be fun, since they want reasons for everything, to justify my decision for not making a decision.
mmm.. surrealism. *ahem* I think the markers would scratch their bald little heads to be honest. You could probably get away with pretending you've written post-modernism -

I
Don't
Know
What
To
Write

"Oooh! What a delightful load of crap" :p

I propose a new syllabus for you, however, and I hope it inspires you :D

Board of Studies Syllabus:
Year 10 - Stress
Year 11 - Debilitating Stress
Year 12 - Brain Hemorrhages

Anyway, on a more serious note *grins* Yes, unfortunately this lonliness will continue unless we do something about it. Don't be too concerned with the final product too early on - focus more on getting those blobs of creative outburst on paper and working from that. Unless you're like me, who can't think straight :p

-Matt
MSN: pheak@hotmail.com

steffo

steph
HSC
i'm having a crack at performance poetry.
researching poetry of all/any forms first. then moving through spoken word and monologues and stuff.
if anyone has done this or has an info/knowledge/anything on this medium, i'm keen for anything!

phatic

HSC
You might do well to read How Poetry Works by Phil Roberts. It focuses on the effects of sound in Poetry, something which has been lost recently due to our ability to speed read, not having to sound out words as we read in order to comprehend them. I found it much better than the average "Getting into Poetry" book. It'll give you a much stronger subconscious idea of how to write poetry aswell...

veridis

droog
HSC
i would presume most of us are doing ee2. now if we're making any progress on ee2 is a different matter all together

as for prufrock, i used to like it, then we had to study it in ee1 and it got ruined =( why must they turn everything into shitboring bollocks

s0k0y0e0

HSC
due date?

does anyone know the official date that our major work is due this year?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
I am actually doing ee2 but really the progress thing? isn't moving along so well. i like my idea but by continually adding to it I'm really overcomplicating it. anyone else find that? that maybe you're trying to put too many ideas into it? or many I'm just over-inspired?

*wonders away to ponder luck with inspiration*

illodous

Angels...
HSC
Don't worry about the progress... I've got graduated HSC students who did EE2 and told me that at this stage, they didn't even have ideas!

Write down all your ideas. Let them swim around you. The best thing to do is write them down, then look at them the next day or something. You might find that you don't like them in end. Just think of a message you're trying to convey in your work. After that, the process is more about how your characters and story convey this.

J

jhakka

As I've said a few times,just write. I didn't bother writing my ideas down. I just wrote and tried to link what I was writing to my idea. You'll write a lot of crap, but eventually you'll get something that you like. Go with that and see what you can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)