English Extension (1 Viewer)

cienna

HSC
Hi Everyone, I am a year 11 student starting a school project on the enlightenment. The task is to write a creative writing piece fixating on the social ills of the enlightenment, of around 1000 to 1500 words. I just need a good setting or plot of some kind? I'd appreciate any tips on proper creative writing or tips on how to form a good story from nothing. Thanks everyone!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Here are a few brief, but practical tips I can give you.

1)Research about the enlightenment period-what were the key ways of thinking of the time? How were people like? Were there any major events that defined the period? Were there any cultural/religious/social/philosophical/scientific developments that differentiated this period from others-how did people speak (often reading some extracts of classic novels writing about this period would be enormous help) -for this instance-focus research on social ills-but you can also research other things to give yourself a holistic perspective of the period.

2)Then consider what your main characters are, consider what plot development you want to integrate to reflect social ills-any symbolism, extended metaphor that you could use to reflect your research into this period-the key is authenticity-and not necessarily many plot twist-focus on believable plot developments-and plan as much as you can before you start writing-make sure your writing reflects your research!

3)Then just start writing-because it is impossible to conceive a perfect plot by thinking about it forever and not starting-so be brave, start writing and then you can step back critically and ask for advice/critique to fix it up and improve upon it:)

Best of luck for your creative writing ventures:)
Sometimes reading some past extension II english works in writers showcase books-published every year for exemplary English Extension II work in HSC-would give you good insights into what good narrative writing looks like:)

cienna

HSC
Thank you for your help! This should help me get started off. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)