English is a waste of life. (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Anyone else hate English as much as me?

I've noticed that people's dislike of English stems from them not doing too well? =\

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC

Aerath said:
I've noticed that people's dislike of English stems from them not doing too well? =\
lol. thats true. i hate english, mainly, because i suck in it. and i never listen in class, as a consequence of sucking at it.

fareezuh

HSC

Hanan531 said:
That just goes to show how important the role of the teacher is, and sometimes, the reasons why we do so poorly in our exams, is because of our teacher's lack of ability to teach. It's so unfair. Then we get blamed for doing so crap and get put down as though we are stupid or something. I hate unorganised teachers. They piss me off!
well atleast she has been teaching because my chem teacher hasn't been teaching for 3-5 yrs and they gave her to us instead of the best chem teacher
aka deputy of school. i am failing
she is nice but can't teach.

fareezuh

HSC

kaz1 said:
it is the most pointless subject

in how many jobs do you write narratives?
in how many subjects do you write ESSAY?

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC

fareezuh said:
well atleast she has been teaching because my chem teacher hasn't been teaching for 3-5 yrs and they gave her to us instead of the best chem teacher
aka deputy of school. i am failing
she is nice but can't teach.
pfftt... crazy teachers. same with me. im failing english coz i got a cool and nice, but shit teacher. all he does is talk. his stories are interesting, but i dont see the relevance it has with english. my marks are down to 50%, whearas i just got it to 72% from another teacher.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

Aerath said:
qft

results, not excuses.

sartor

HSC

yeh english is fuked :p

atrocityx

HSC

i hate it sooooooo much right now, i use to LOVE english in year 7 and 8. i got good marks and everything. but now, fuck i hate it. the teachers i had in year 7 and 8 were awesome and i learnt alot, but those teachers left. and now in an advanced class, year 10, i had the most boring teacher of all T_T" she does the same thing over and over again and im dieing in english, i had her since last year....
all we do in class now is listen to her talk and dictate what she says >.>"
i done this since last year and my marks has been dropping all because of her T_T"

i am suffering. LOLOL.
i hope i have a better teacher next year >.>"
cause im doing advanced english

-.-........

telekenixis

HSC

ME!!!

However I am working (slowly, but working nevertheless) towards improving it, cause its the only DAMN compulsary subject in the HSC and don't want to get marks too low that will stuff up my UAI.

If english wasn't compulsary and we had to pick 50 (hyperbole!!) units for the HSC, I still wouldn't pick it...

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A

ccc123 said:
I like our writing style :) I did pretty well in King Lear, its prob my favourite module. Hey, Bobness, whats your course like, it sounds cool?

(should I be Pming you on this instead?)
Delayed reply, but the contents should warrant it :)

Arts is great, especially my major. And because there are not many English lecturers (when compared to other subjects such as accounting) i have been able to speak with them on a personal basis. They are really easy-going and brilliant (USYD lecturers as well)! Essentially it is like HSC in terms of the connection with your 'teacher' (which you'll find is difficult to maintain in most other subjects/majors at uni) but the texts and ideas covered are significantly more elevated. Not to mention the fact that you are surrounded by many like-minded, enthusiastic, creative minds.

Law, you can ask me in a legal studies thread, but it's equally super :eek:. I just have no more space left in my PM that's all (600+) :eek::eek:

From what i've noticed, more students seem to abhor english (than other subjects) because of its 'compulsory' status. Doing 'bad' in it is not their fault, because they have been forced to complete it.

It is human nature to hate what you aren't good at; but it is human nature also to strive for personal improvement, even in domains we are not experts in. So all's well that ends well (Shakespearean allusion :eek::eek::eek:)

aimeekealy

HSC

I just think english is kinda pointless - like obviously we need it but some things we really dont.
Like how many people are going to describe everything through techniques?
Noone does that in real life.
I used to love english - and I was good at it.
But then year 11 and 12 hit, and I changed schools and it all just changed. Like obviously its gunna get harder but like, my teacher hates me, and she makes it obvious. She only helps a select few people in class, her 'favourites' and we have to wait our turn which is usually the day before an assignment is due. Its so dumb. I really think I should of dropped down to standard english, cos the teacher in that class really takes time to help people, not just people he likes. School in general is just a bias piece of crap.
... sorry I just realised I've been rambling.

lemonOFdoom

HSC

HSC English is a load of bull

You write to please the marker, not to please yourself. It's always them them them, "Bigger handwriting so they can read it", ""Use bigger words instead of smaller ones to sound smarter", "Here's a hard-to-analyze text, turn that into a 500 page essay!"

If we had more creative writing pieces, this would be so much more enjoyable, as well as find someone who can write syllabus statements in English.

They need to consider OUR contexts and values, it seems the BOS is misinterpreting our representations.

charlesdinio

HSC
English is a waste of life.

Why do we bother?

Let us study things we actually WANT to study.

And if anyone can explain how it relates to life, feel free to explain!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
And I bet that this view only stems from you doing not so well in English. You'd be saying the same thing about Maths/Chemistry/Physics/Eco/whatever subjects you do if you screwed them up too.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
I used to hate english.. but then i got a new english teacher and he taught us to appreciate it. you will never see its value if you don't understand it.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
of all the HSC subjects, you'll find that although English is, at times, challenging (and by the sounds of it, you're frustrated with it) it is always rewarding.

keep your head up, the end is not here yet.

JSBboag

HSC
i also hate English, i was really good in Yr 11 and average now. I wish i could drop it!

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Aerath said:
And I bet that this view only stems from you doing not so well in English. You'd be saying the same thing about Maths/Chemistry/Physics/Eco/whatever subjects you do if you screwed them up too.
Maybe not, I'm top of my class for adv. english and top 10% in the year group, and I think the subject is a steaming pile. I hate it, I hate how it destroys every emotional response to every text it touches, or even worse how it tries to force you to be compatible with a text which you have no desire or liking of.

I hate English so much that to spite them the last assessable essay I wrote had the whole conclusion as a not so subtle stab at the English Dept. and the Board of Douchebags ( /Studies).

I also hate it so much that usually if we're not doing a text I like in class I just read a novel... which really pisses my teacher off. One of the last times I did that she said "Don't you care at all about this subject what mark you're going to get?" Obviously, my answer was "No.", and I kept reading. In the exam, for that module, I picked my related text whilst I was doing the paper... Heh.

Anyway. English used to be amazing before I realised somebody was going to try and teach me something. Why can't we stick to spelling and grammar and leave textual study to the person?

Here ye, here ye! Sabotage your English Department before it destroys emotions!

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
prichardson said:
Maybe not, I'm top of my class for adv. english and top 10% in the year group, and I think the subject is a steaming pile. I hate it, I hate how it destroys every emotional response to every text it touches, or even worse how it tries to force you to be compatible with a text which you have no desire or liking of.

I hate English so much that to spite them the last assessable essay I wrote had the whole conclusion as a not so subtle stab at the English Dept. and the Board of Douchebags ( /Studies).

I also hate it so much that usually if we're not doing a text I like in class I just read a novel... which really pisses my teacher off. One of the last times I did that she said "Don't you care at all about this subject what mark you're going to get?" Obviously, my answer was "No.", and I kept reading. In the exam, for that module, I picked my related text whilst I was doing the paper... Heh.

Anyway. English used to be amazing before I realised somebody was going to try and teach me something. Why can't we stick to spelling and grammar and leave textual study to the person?

Here ye, here ye! Sabotage your English Department before it destroys emotions!
you could say the same for Maths then. why do we both to learn concepts beyond the simple + and - ? who cares about parabolas and algebra? (Engineers, Scientists...)

English challenges you to be more open to texts which reflect certain contexts. It compels you to view the world of the text in a different light - you will learning something that you textbooks and tests won't necessarily teach you.

Ultimately, English is about you. Texts are a product of contexts. You are a victim of context.

Now, I see you are studying History Ext. - I could be as ignorant and say, "oh why do you bother with that subject? live in the present and stop wasting your time with the past"

I would say History itself is an extension of English. Everything is derived from English.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)