English Teachers, Can they teach? (1 Viewer)

How good is your teacher?

• Total voters

spitfire63

HSC
I have suffered from 5 years of abysmal and slack teaching. I honestly still do not know a day before paper 2 what the point of an essay actually is, I just write some stuff and hope for the best. A good day for my HSC English class would have been to receive a book of printed out notes most of which were irrelevant to the course with the instructions:

'There is some good stuff somewhere in there...'

So does anyone else have this problem, of having the worst teachers in the most subjective, random and unnecessary subject?

EDIT: I honestly cant believe that 27% of english teachers are below average and yet nothing is ever done about it.

Last edited:

Zantico

HSC
to be honest my legal studies teacher taught me more about essays than my english teacher. and it helped with essays in other subjects aswell. ive already proven my english teacher to be an idiot 5 times.

1/ ive spent 4 terms with her and she still calls me anthony even though my name is doug.-dunno if u can tell the difference between an asian guy and another white guy. but ok
2/ she has claimed to have done indepth studies in heart of darkness yet during a lesson told us she forgot a part
3/she cant spell.
4/she gave me a b+, c-, c- for my 3 practise essays in first term. and yet 4 weeks after handing her the exact same essays that werent corrected was given a a-, b+ and a a in that order.
5/she told me i had to drop to standard english even though i was ranked 20/65 in advanced english.

this is all real. and none of this has been made up in anyway.

Last edited:

studentcheese

HSC
Good english teachers are always rare and that is because english is quite a subjective subject.

HSC
my english teacher is THE BEST. she honestly is the best teacher.....i am actually a much better english student because of her :)
but shes leaving :( so we wont have her for our HSC :(

llamaben

HSC
My teacher isn't that knowledgeable on year 11/12 teaching, however he is a still a good teacher. Im in advanced B (although rank 4/53), and I prefer his teaching to the teacher who teaches A who I had in year 10 (and after having him I got moved down...) Hes kind of the opposite, knowledgeable but not that good of a teacher.

E-Hawk

HSC
I have to say i've become really lucky for HSC 2009. I actually for the first time have really good teachers. However they are the complete opposite :p.

My advanced teacher doesn't know a great deal but the notes she gets are amazing...they're all you need. but she acts as if she made them.

My Ext 1. teacher is a genius. Simple as that.

But the past few years i've had bad teachers...i was pretty much left to do the hard yards with no help at all.

ASNSWR127

HSC
I said abysmal why did i bnother with class

but I didnt bother with class lol - still got in the 80's for trial... says something about the standard and the use of english teachers teaching imaginitive journey's...

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
My english advanced teacher is amazing..... i used to dread coming to english classes but now I actually look forward to them!

She explains everything extremely well and her notes are awesome :D

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
annabackwards said:
My english advanced teacher is amazing..... i used to dread coming to english classes but now I actually look forward to them!

She explains everything extremely well and her notes are awesome :D
My english teacher always goes on some holiday and barely comes to class.

TBK11

HSC
i got the worst english teacher, any of you guys try and beat this
when Halo 3 came out on Xbox 360 my teacher took 2 weeks off from school to play it, and during that time we were having our half yearlies so everyone in the class bumed out cause we didnt learn the topic and all we did wit the sub teachers was watch movies and write down notes -_-.

now which teacher takes 2 weeks off from school to play halo 3 on release day???
the whole class knew she wasn't sick cause someone from my class at the time also went to get halo 3 on release day and happened to see the teacher at the same Dick Smith store o_O

lolrofllol

HSC
Exphate said:
Self learning.

Try it.

Fucking sick to death of kids blaming teachers for their shortfalls.
Self learn English...

Did you sniff the petrol for too long this time Mr. Troll?

dp624

HSC
English teachers can be good.
My teacher helped me quite a bit.

staree

HSC
N/A
Can we turn this conversation around into a more positive one and discuss what MAKES a good English teacher? You'd never know.... one of your English teachers might be reading this thread and want to improve on their teaching practices :uhhuh:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Exphate said:
Self learning.

Try it.

Fucking sick to death of kids blaming teachers for their shortfalls.
fuckin oath - like im not even in uni yet and i self taught my physics course because i know in uni - it'll all be about self teaching.

4unitfreak

HSC
I had three English teachers over six years - one for yr 7/8, one for 9/10 and one for 11/12. The first one didn't have much of a clue about how to control a bunch of rowdy 13 and 14 year olds so we didn't learn much. The second wasn't an English teacher but rather a drama teacher who was full of waffle and didn't teach us anything useful in two years of lessons.
The third was possibly the best teacher I've ever had for any class over 13 years of school; he knew what he was talking about, he explained everything well, he encouraged us to do our own learning and made all our classes heaps of fun. I got 87 for English Adv in the HSC and I don't think I could've done it if I hadn't had him for the senior years.

dp624

HSC
staree said:
Can we turn this conversation around into a more positive one and discuss what MAKES a good English teacher? You'd never know.... one of your English teachers might be reading this thread and want to improve on their teaching practices :uhhuh:
Well hmm
a good english teacher knows their stuff really really well
provides fast, constructive feedback
makes lessons not boring - one of the hardest things
adequately prepares you for exams - like finishin the course a week early each term so you have time to talk over possible questions etc

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
My English teacher is pretty smart. She is actually too good cause she talks a bit complicated. She would be good for higher end students that are band 6 material not for a dumb cunt like me lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)