English (1 Viewer)

od9895

HSC
Hello
I just want to ask some questions relating to year 11 and yea 12 standard english. Firstly, how many books do the school forces us to read? Is there a specific book that every school has to read? How many pages do i have to write for an essay. Is there a specific topic /module that everyone has to do? Are the exams hard and is the marking criteria the same as Advanced english?

Thanks

bavarian

HSC
You should look at the HSC online syllabus and assessment reporting information here : http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/english-std-adv.html

For the length of essays, advanced students are expected to write around 1,200 in 40 minutes. Of course the actual range varies from 1,000 - 1,800, especially when you sit the 2 hour exam for trials and the actual HSC. I'm not really sure about standard but it should be around that, maybe a little less.

English HSC has 2 papers that are sat on 2 different days. The first section is the same paper for both standard and advanced students and is comprised of the Area of Study (for us belonging) and a set of comprehension questions. I'm not sure as to whether the advanced students are marked more harshly or not. Paper 2 is not the same paper for both English courses as we study different modules of course.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific but I hope I helped :)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
You should look at the HSC online syllabus and assessment reporting information here : http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/english-std-adv.html

For the length of essays, advanced students are expected to write around 1,200 in 40 minutes. Of course the actual range varies from 1,000 - 1,800, especially when you sit the 2 hour exam for trials and the actual HSC. I'm not really sure about standard but it should be around that, maybe a little less.

English HSC has 2 papers that are sat on 2 different days. The first section is the same paper for both standard and advanced students and is comprised of the Area of Study (for us belonging) and a set of comprehension questions. I'm not sure as to whether the advanced students are marked more harshly or not. Paper 2 is not the same paper for both English courses as we study different modules of course.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific but I hope I helped :)
I'm pretty sure the advanced kids are marked the exact same as the standard kiddies in section 1...or at least that's what I've heard from a few HSC markers.
The numbers of books you have to read may differ between schools - you might do a film or a play or a speech or a poem. We read 2 books in prelim (for advanced), 1 film, a Shakespeare, and a bunch of poems. For HSC, we have 2 books, 1 film, a Shakespeare, and a bunch of poems..and again, its up to your school what texts you do so you'll have to ask your school what texts they get you guys to do.
How many pages depends on the size of your writing, the spaces you leave in your writing, whether you indent to show a new paragraph or leave a line blank, and essays can vary from 800-1800.
Like bavarian said, there's 2 papers. Paper 1 is the dead same for advanced and standard except the essay you have to write will be on a different text. Paper 2 is completely different. In paper 2, advanced kiddies get marked a fair bit harder, which is only to be expected because its the advanced course.
hope that helps

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello
I just want to ask some questions relating to year 11 and yea 12 standard english. Firstly, how many books do the school forces us to read? Is there a specific book that every school has to read? How many pages do i have to write for an essay. Is there a specific topic /module that everyone has to do? Are the exams hard and is the marking criteria the same as Advanced english?

Thanks
You have ~4 texts to study.
Most likely one of these will be a book, one poetry, one a drama, and one a film/multimedia/non-fiction piece/etc.
No. There is no specific book everyone reads.
Essays should be 800-1200 words long. But it depends how could you are at writing.
The specific topic everyone does is the Area of Study which is currently Belonging.
The exams aren't that difficult and the marking criteria is pretty much the same as advanced (paper 1 is an advanced paper) but standard markers seem to mark easier than advanced in school.

Hope this helps. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)