Enzyme experiment (1 Viewer)

BJW12345

HSC
Hey there, for my first biology assesment we were asked to do an enzyme experiment that shows how temperature effects the enzyme chemical reaction.ive seen a few on the internet but none that fully make sense or that stand out and show a lil' bit of difference.Any body have any suggestions?would be much appreciated :)

DInfinity

Ad Infinitum
HSC
Well, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but I hope this helps a bit: Enzymes are biological catalysts that only work within a rather small temperature range. Although rate of reaction increases as temperature increases, the catalyst (something to lower activation energy, and therefore speeding up the reaction) will be denatured when a certain temperature is reached. This will explain why the rate of reaction suddenly drops after a certain temperature is reached. This is because the catalyst that speeds up the reaction millions of times is denatured and rendered ineffective. I hope that helped a bit.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
I'll take this as an opportunity to test myself...

Enzymes are organic catalysts composed of proteins that assist organisms in facilitating metabolic reactions. Enzymes are sensitive to their environment, and thus must remain within a stable range of factors (ie, pH, temperature etc) for them to function. Any deviations from this stable state can result in decreased efficiency or even the denaturing (destruction) of the enzyme.

In the experiments conducted we investigated the effect of varied environmental conditions on the speed at which enzymes were able to catalyse reactions. We proposed 5 different levels of heat, to each level of which we would heat 4 seperate vials of 10mL cow's milk. We would then add 1mL of enzyme to 3 of the vials and then record the time it took for each to fully coagulate into a homogenous mass. The 4th vial would act as a control. We would then average the time data obtained from the 3 enzyme vials for each temperature and average it to acquire a score.

The scores obtained were indicative of which temperature the enzyme worked most efficiently at.

Annnnnnd that's as far as we got. Finishing the experiment tomorrow, lol I think all that ^ is correct... >.<

Last edited:

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
Yes yes wat Difinity and arceupins has said is very true:

The experiment NORMALLY done is to do with milk, and the enzyme Rennin. Rennin is an enzyme that catalyses the separation of milk into curds (solid parts; fats etc) and whey (liquid part).

A whole bunch of test tubes are set up (can be as little as 3). The same amount of milk is added to each (often 10mL) and then test tubes placed in varying temperatures (if using 3, something like 10, 30 and 60 degrees wud be appropriate). The same amount of rennin (often in the form of a tablet) is then added to each test tube, and the time taken for the milk to coagulate (separate into curds and whey) is then recorded.

Qualitative observations wud be: (however you shud be takin QUANTitative measurements)
Cold temperature: Long time to coagulate
Medium temperature: Coagulate quickly
High temperature: Never coagulated

The reasons for these differences have already been explained fairly well by the other two...good work xD Hope it helps a bit =]]]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)