Essay Structure: Remember your SEXY paragraphs! (1 Viewer)

mo2ar7

HSC
Anyone possibly heard of ID-EG-FX?

Our English teacher has drummed into us from day one: "ID-EG-FX". If you break that down it basically means:

1. ID - (IDENTIFY)
Identify the Technique, textual feature, etc.

2. EG (EXAMPLE)
Support your knowledge and show the markers that you know what you are talking about by providing an example or evidence from the text, such as a quote or brief description of a scene which takes place.

3. FX (EFFECT)
After providing example(s) explain the effect that this has, not only on the text itself but on the audience or responder.

ID-EG-FX is pretty much the same principle as all these other acronyms. The structure's just a bit different. You have to always remember too to link whatever you say back to the question. The markers will mark higher if they can see that you are able to do that. Hope this helps some of you guys. Wish all of you the very best for your exams!!! :read:

BTW: I'm first in Advanced English so let me know if you need any help. =)

Last edited:

jonosup

HSC
Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

my english teacher has recommended the idea of triple T double E
Theme
Topic
Technique
Example
Effect

Works Brilliantly. ;)

llamaben

HSC

danz90 said:
I think what they mean by 'integration' is, that the various criteria or 'tickable points' in a response should be fluently woven together with a sophisticated use of language. An A-range response features a sophisticated use of language - so this is how I perceive 'integration'. i.e. Topic Sentence, Context, Quote/Ref, Language, Discussion (+ other criteria for certain modules) must be included - but it is the way u integrate these aspects of your paragraph and use sophisticated language to shape a logical response, is what distinguishes a band 6 from perhaps a band 5 response.

That's my two cents.
We learnt in year 11 that it was basically combining two texts into the one paragraph, when they are about the same idea/concept.

For example, instead of 1 paragraph on topic 1 and 1 on topic 2, there would still be 2 paragraphs, however both would have stuff from topic 1 and topic 2.

The amount of each you put in can vary.

molosko21

HSC
Re: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

my history teacher told us TEER:

T - topic sentence
E - expand topic sentence and explain
E - evidence of your point (given in topic sentence)
R - relate back to question

I've used it for all my essays and it works great!

sambo92

HSC

ok i have this amazing tutor, this is what she said:

an essay is: AN ARGUMENT YOU WANT TO WIN

INTRO:
1. restate the question + 1 or 2 other sentances/syllabus terms
2. introduce the texts
3. techniques are used
4. relate back to Q.

BODY 1
1. topic sentance
2. technique --> quote --> analysis
3. one more snetance of analysis
4. (repeat steps 2 + 3)
5. (repest steps 2 +3)
6. relate back to the Q

BODY 2 (do the same)

BODY 3 (do the same)

BODY 4 (do the same)

CONCLUSION
1. 2/3 sentances about belonging/question
2. sum up each text
3. RELATE BACK TO THE QUESITON

hope this helps

inedible

HSC

I know we should relate back to the question, but how is the question. Repeating "and through Othello's jealousy and rage, Shakespeare demonstrates the nature of humanity" three times gets old real fast.

My English teacher also said for your concluding sentence in the paragraph you can either introduce the next paragraph's idea or relate back. So how do you introduce the next paragraph's point and how often should you do it?

snout101

HSC
N/A

P- Point
E- Example
E- Effect
L- Link

:birthday:

Leviathan96

HSC

Know your text, know your concepts, know your characters, know your themes, know your author, know the style, know your context.

Unpack the question and plan for roughly 5 minutes.

Answer the question.
Show your in-depth knowledge of the conceptual framework.
Sound half-literate.
Be concise.
Answer the question.
Sexy[er] intro/conclusion helps.

Edit at the end to ensure you haven't written some bullcrap about what you ate for dinner. Also ensure that it is logical/easy to follow.

I was never good at following that PEEL crap or fixated structures. I think I'm retarded.

Intro - Answer the question. State the argument you are taking through a strong thesis. Introduce texts. Outline exploration of key concepts/themes.

Body - Introduce key theme/concept which you will explore. Sentence on context, introduce point, evidence from text, technique, the effect of the technique -> how this interlinks with your key concept for this body -> how this concept interlinks with the question.

Repeat.

Conclusion - Tell the marker how right you are. End in sexiness with some sort of pretentious ideological reference.

Last edited:

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A

Honestly answering the question, to me, is 90% of the marks. Obviously this involves pertinent analysis etc with techniques, but if you regurgitate an essay that you don't link to the question, then you can only achieve a band 5 no matter how good that essay is (or lower). So when you're in the exam (especially reading time) - THINK about how the question is telling you to do. Make a brief plan (only take a few minutes) - even if the question is hard, think about all the ways your text relates to it. That's my advice.

thejamesc

HSC

Band 5 =

Techniques + Evidence
otherwise known as "boring b's"

Band 6=

Band 5 + Sustained thesis with what the bored of studies terms "flair"

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

There's nothing wrong with having huge paragraphs. Extremely long ones that go on for about 2 or 3 pages frequent academic resources, etc. You can argue that it makes it harder to read or absorb, but as long as the point of the paragraph stays focused and clear, it's not much of a deal.
That theory just doesn't hold up at HSC level though.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

That theory just doesn't hold up at HSC level though.
I would agree with this point-you simply don't have enough time in an exam to write up such enormous paragraphs, besides, having to write such enormous paragraphs would indicate that you haven't develop the essay writing skills to answer the question in a succinct and coherent manner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)