Ethnicity of those in ANU (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbsp

HSC
Can anyone give a rough distribution? In particular asians.
Also gender. Is it 50/50?

Do social groups tend to stick together based on race? or are most social groups comprised of a even mix?

ty

bikapika

HSC
well in terms of gender ratio, last time i check overall male : female would be about 45:55

depends on the faculty you are looking at, for engeering you will expect male:female 5:1 and arts(especially languages) male : female 1:3+

for commerce there will be slightly more guys while for law there will be slightly more girls
----------------------------------------
the following section is generalising and subjective (the statistics were obtained from anu's website though) so please ignore it if you are looking for objective information
----------------------------------------

lol anu's asian population (disregard postgrads) would be proportionally smaller than other prestigeous unis such as unsw, usyd and umlb, and unis with a lot of international students such as une.

Base on last year's enrolment statistics, 70% of commencing students were from canberra region. I'm pretty sure very few asian migrants during the 70s to 90s (therefore their children would commence tertiary education during this decade) would choose to settle in canberra. As a result, a significant majority of the 70% canberra orgined students would not the asian.

however there will be a lot of asians in commerce/economics since 40% of the kids are international students.

If you think of it in a stereotypical way, for those asians who work hard and receive good uai, they would prefer to stay in sydney and melbourne even if they couldnt make into highly demanded unis like unsw and usyd they would choose to go to macq and uts instead of going all the way down to canberra so they can keep in close contact with their families since family value is very important to asians. For those asians who got "educated" by "young and dangerous" they wouldnt make it into anu.

i can tell you from my experience at high school that only internation students would stick together base on their languages (koreans stick with koreans, chinese stick with chinese, they dont mix a lot although they are all asians). I think if you can speak english you will have no problem in making friends with other races.

Evilo

HSC
gbsp said:
Can anyone give a rough distribution? In particular asians.
Also gender. Is it 50/50?

Do social groups tend to stick together based on race? or are most social groups comprised of a even mix?

ty
Looks like bikipedia has done his research, yeah what he said sounds about right. It changes from faculty to faculty.

Please dont ever write in pink again, its annoying and i cant read it without my glasses.

gbsp

HSC
Sorry, colour changed.

What about the science faculty?

bikapika

HSC
Evilo said:
Looks like bikipedia has done his research, yeah what he said sounds about right. It changes from faculty to faculty.

Please dont ever write in pink again, its annoying and i cant read it without my glasses.
man you know me lol of course i have done my research

bikapika

HSC
gbsp said:
Sorry, colour changed.

appearantly the gender ratio in science, according to enrolment statistics, is about 50 50. im not sure about the asian population though

Evilo

HSC
gbsp said:
Sorry, colour changed.

lol sorry for biting - i sound like an old man :p

Science faculties depend. i.e. Psyc - higher ratio of females (like 70%), probably 20% asian? Comp studies - 3 girls out of 500 guys, 1 (female) asian (didnt count te male asians as i wasnt concerend, and too many people). Earth science - 50:50, only a handful of asians. Tbh its so variable i couldn't give you an exact number. You get a higher % of asians in commerce/mathetmatics type courses etc.

PS - Gender studies - 1:50 male:female ratio.

May i ask why the number of asians is a concern to you? is it a social thing? or the opposite?

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
bikapika said:
man you know me lol of course i have done my research
lol yeah you're right :) . Its good to know whats infront of you. I'm one of those people who *always* likes to know whats going on.

bikapika

HSC
Evilo said:
lol sorry for biting - i sound like an old man :p

Science faculties depend. i.e. Psyc - higher ratio of females (like 70%), probably 20% asian? Comp studies - 3 girls out of 500 guys, 1 (female) asian (didnt count te male asians as i wasnt concerend, and too many people). Earth science - 50:50, only a handful of asians. Tbh its so variable i couldn't give you an exact number. You get a higher % of asians in commerce/mathetmatics type courses etc.

PS - Gender studies - 1:50 male:female ratio.

May i ask why the number of asians is a concern to you? is it a social thing? or the opposite?
i care because i only go for anglo-celtic, europeans, arab and indians girls so i have to make sure that my choices are wide open. im not sure about other ppl lol

bikapika

HSC
on the top of my head, maybe kids from selective high schools got isolated by asians?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
why does it matter? are you going to have "race distribution" as part of your criteria for university selection? :rolleyes:

also how exactly might we know of an accurate "gender distribution" other than the occasional "hmmm there appears to be several chicks in the lecture today..."? i don't think ANU would release this information (probably because it's a useless and baseless statistic) and if they did i would be surprised. all i know is engineering/IT is a total wangfest and scrwany subjects like arts/poetry/music/floral-painting/psychology* tend to have more girls than boys.

*dons flame suit

Last edited:

undalay

HSC
jas0nt said:
why does it matter? are you going to have "race distribution" as part of your criteria for university selection? :rolleyes:

also how exactly might we know of an accurate "gender distribution" other than the occasional "hmmm there appears to be several chicks in the lecture today..."? i don't think ANU would release this information (probably because it's a useless and baseless statistic) and if they did i would be surprised. all i know is engineering/IT is a total wangfest and scrwany subjects like arts/poetry/music/floral-painting/psychology* tend to have more girls than boys.

*dons flame suit
I would think race distribution would be a major part of the criteria for university selection.

Would you study at an university in india? They all speak english but you probably don't have the same cultural aspects as them/not attracted to them ?
Thus resulting in a very lacking social life.

bikapika

HSC
undalay said:
I would think race distribution would be a major part of the criteria for university selection.

Would you study at an university in india? They all speak english but you probably don't have the same cultural aspects as them/not attracted to them ?
Thus resulting in a very lacking social life.
think about those new migrants who have to survive in australia and integrate into the society bro

generally we are more educated right? so if they can do it, so can we : )

in addition, there is no such thing as "barriers" if you want to make friends lol
look at those little kids from overseas lol , they make friends with aussie kids on the second day at school lol

undalay

HSC
bikapika said:
i care because i only go for anglo-celtic, europeans, arab and indians girls so i have to make sure that my choices are wide open. im not sure about other ppl lol
What if it was located in some country chinese town with none of the races u just stated.

Provided oxford was there and they offer you a scholarship, would you still go ?

edit: I woudn't if i were you. No suitable girls ahaha.

Last edited:

bikapika

HSC
undalay said:
What if it was located in some country chinese town with none of the races u just stated.

Provided oxford was there and they offer you a scholarship, would you still go ?

edit: I woudn't if i were you. No suitable girls ahaha.
yeah why not? some chinese girls are attractive as well i may change my preferences then

bikapika

HSC
bikapika said:
yeah why not? some chinese girls are attractive as well i may change my preferences then
just kidding no i wouldnt go as well totally agree with u

bikapika

HSC
anyway this thread is getting .... funny

either way i think anu is still more balanced than usyd, unsw, maybe umlb(im not sure can someone confirm?) in representing australia's demographics and racial distribution.

asians make into highly demanded unis due to their hard work and we should respect them. that is all.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I dunno let's say 60% caucasian, 40% not.

About 55% to 60% females, the rest males.

It's closer to a 50/50 distribution for both in halls though.

Except for Fenner. But Fenner is weird. AVOID.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
undalay said:

Would you study at an university in india?
no because it's in india :rolleyes:

(not that i would be interested in international unis)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)