• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ever feel like you're the only gay person at school? (1 Viewer)

rific

HSC
You should never feel alone, no matter which sexual orientation you wish to define yourself under, there is always a wider community that you can participate in, but at the school level, much of the time this is very difficult to access, depending on where you are.

If you feel like you're getting overwhelmed, or feeling isolated, talk to your school counsellor, an approachable teacher, or your doctor; these people are all there to help you and can help provide information and resources for you.

It is unfortunate that there is a climate of self-harm in some queer communities, but even if this is the case, no one should feel alone or outcast by these actions, at some stage in everyone's life, you are almost guaranteed to be in some way impacted by mental health problems or disorders. These are a part of every community and it is best to try and have strong connections with people you can trust and share support with.

This is a link to Reach Out! a site that provides information on many areas that can influence mental health, there is information on being queer, and provides links where it is probably possible to talk to other gay, lesbian, bi, etc. people, someone will have a similar story, and you should begin to see that you're not alone in the world, even if you are, or appear to be so, at your school. Just follow the links from the 'Issues' menu.

I tried to keep this relatively short, as I have to start an assessment soon, but if anyone would like more information or resources, or just to talk about issues, feel free to PM me.

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
p-unit said:
soo true we had a couple in high school to
everyone knew
there admiting to it was another issue
Coming out has nothing to do with what everyone else will think of you, it's got to do with deciding and accepting for yourself that you are gay.

Argh people seriously think it's them trying to attract attention on themselves? And that's why that make such a thing out of it when they come out? Get over yourselves, its a fucking massive realisation and coming to terms with it would be a bitch. Cut them some slack, its an isolating time.

stainmepink

HSC
mitchyb1990 said:
i started this thread because i want to know how other gay people feel about themselves in high school.

ok guys, don't hate me for saying this ... but the bible says its wrong for a man to love and have sex with another man. oh, except jesus. anyway, could you please stop philandering? hehe, thanks :wave:

god bless you, everyone!

oh, and please come along to hillsong. i can help you discover what REAL men are supposed to like. (thats women, if you didn't get the hint)

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
gobaby said:
ok guys, don't hate me for saying this ... but the bible says its wrong for a man to love and have sex with another man.
The bible also says its wrong to wear blended cloth. And that you should sacrifice lambs for certain sins and sprinkle it around the outside of your home. So have fun with that.

litany

Helpfool
HSC
gobaby said:
ok guys, don't hate me for saying this ... but the bible says its wrong for a man to love and have sex with another man. oh, except jesus. anyway, could you please stop philandering? hehe, thanks :wave:

god bless you, everyone!

oh, and please come along to hillsong. i can help you discover what REAL men are supposed to like. (thats women, if you didn't get the hint)
Yet circumcision is practiced by those who follow "god".

Mutilation of male genitalia is allowed.

fearless86

HSC
gobaby said:

god bless you, everyone!

youre joking right? cos im a lesbian, and whenever ive gone to hillsong and talked to them about homosexuality stuff they always say they wouldnt force anyone to change unless they wanted to.

mm, yeah at school i was definitely way too scared at to say i was gay. since leaving school and telling people from my grade, they've all been heaps nice. a lot of them were very surprised, but they say things like 'you could have told us at school, we would've been fine with it' im not convinced thats true but. especially a girls school... there was so much petty gossip...even though i think our grade was one of the better ones. id never have had the guts to tell the whole of my school. i doubt they would have done that 'pretending to like you' crap though. well...not after yr.10 at least...

now at uni, i still have this reluctance to let everyone know. there are no openly gay people in my course, and i reckon that unless you really dont care what people think or have a lot of self-confidence then its hard to have sooo many people know that about you. just with people that you have to see every day.

zeek

HSC
gobaby said:
ok guys, don't hate me for saying this ... but the bible says its wrong for a man to love and have sex with another man. oh, except jesus. anyway, could you please stop philandering? hehe, thanks

god bless you, everyone!

lol please go anal kkthxbye

HSC
You seem to be forgetting a few key facts here TerrbleSpellor.

One, Im very surprised that a Christian would not accept the Old Testament. It is part of the Holy Bible and in fact, now that i think about it, it is impossible to reject it. Jesus clearly makes many references to the Old Testament in his teachings for example when he talks about the Law of Moses.

Two, you might want to tone down the racism a bit, im sure youll find that those Asians are actually Australian citizens and have most probably been living here all their lives so are just as much Australian as everyone else. My point being that, as litany said its people in general not just "Aussies" being arseholes.

litany

Helpfool
HSC
I clarify. Seeing as you seem to think "No" was sufficient answer.

My logic went thus. The old testament had a myriad of gripes, of which i'm sure you can find if you decided to. The new testament, or whatever testament your following would, being of similar origins, have carried through some of the gripes, and if by some chance it didn't (which I find very unlikely) it would have made gripes of its own.

However, this is my opinion, for those who subscribe to religion, feel free to do so, just know that I don't believe in it and that I find it somewhat shaky at best.

HSC
litany said:
I clarify. Seeing as you seem to think "No" was sufficient answer.

My logic went thus. The old testament had a myriad of gripes, of which i'm sure you can find if you decided to. The new testament, or whatever testament your following would, being of similar origins, have carried through some of the gripes, and if by some chance it didn't (which I find very unlikely) it would have made gripes of its own.

However, this is my opinion, for those who subscribe to religion, feel free to do so, just know that I don't believe in it and that I find it somewhat shaky at best.
Buddhism is heaps similar to christianity.

litany

Helpfool
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
Buddhism is heaps similar to christianity.
At which point I quote myself.

"I personally find no reason for distinguishing between sub-religions or even whole religions, for the most part they have similar teachings"

HSC
litany said:
At which point I quote myself.

"I personally find no reason for distinguishing between sub-religions or even whole religions, for the most part they have similar teachings"
What teaching of paganism is similar to a teaching of Sikhism?

HSC
The Brucemaster said:
One, Im very surprised that a Christian would not accept the Old Testament.
I didn't say that a christian would not accept the Old Testament, i said that they aren't fully governed by it.

The Brucemaster said:
It is part of the Holy Bible and in fact, now that i think about it, it is impossible to reject it.
God wrote the old testament. Jesus' taught seperate things, and christians are now only reliant on the new testament.
The Brucemaster said:
Two, you might want to tone down the racism a bit, im sure youll find that those Asians are actually Australian citizens and have most probably been living here all their lives so are just as much Australian as everyone else. My point being that, as litany said its people in general not just "Aussies" being arseholes.
In the context, what i said was correct to every extent and in every way possible.

litany

Helpfool
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
What teaching of paganism is similar to a teaching of Sikhism?
You seem to enjoy ignoring what i've said in my posts and in it's stead you put in inane posts and assumptions.

In that case I won't ever bother with you.

HSC
litany said:
You seem to enjoy ignoring what i've said in my posts and in it's stead you put in inane posts and assumptions.

In that case I won't ever bother with you.
London IS in england you idiot, its where Uluru is situated, duh.

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
TerrbleSpellor said:
Only jews do that. Christians are not governed by the old testament, and hence don't have to do it.
It's the old testament that says that you shouldn't have sex before you marry, (although directly translated it says you shouldn't have an erection or become arroused before you marry, so good luck with that) yet most christians have a thing about that. And, I could be wrong here, but isn't it the old testament that says homosexuality is wrong anyway?

Some_Guy

HSC
gobaby said:

god bless you, everyone!

once again religion barges its way into something where its not wanted.

Some_Guy

HSC
i mean i know she is kidding but geez these kind of threads always turn into religious debates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)