• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ever feel like you're the only gay person at school? (1 Viewer)

Russdog

russell
HSC
you'd be surprised how many fags are in your grade, if you feel this way.. it all comes out years later.
p.s. i use the term fags in the nicest, least discriminatory way.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
there were a few homosexuals in my year, the girls who turned out to be gay were completely undetectable, yeah they were a bit tomboyish and player soccer and stuff, but that was fun and cool and other girls were sporty aswell at my school.

The guys were mostly easy to spot, none of them were out in the open, but most of them acted a teeny bit different, seemed to hang with girls a lot more, and basically set my gaydar right off.
There was only one guy i didnt predict to be gay who turned out to be i found out years later after our friendship had faded [as they do after highschool], he had a girlfriend and everything and he was in my social circle, played sports, chilled with the guys. He was a tiny bit different in that he still liked pokemon and cartoons and stuff like that[[he is a really talented artist, i think he is working as a cartoonist now or something] but he was fun to joke around with and that, never did anything disrespectful to me etc. I kinda feel a bit put off that he didnt let me know for whatever reason, like he thought our friendship would change or some shit i dunno, but i also understand.

basically if you are gay i can understand your reasons for hiding it during school, but i really wish the world wasnt like that, and consider letting your closest friends know so they dont cop a big shock when it comes out after school.

kierendaniel

HSC
there were a few homosexuals in my year, the girls who turned out to be gay were completely undetectable, yeah they were a bit tomboyish and player soccer and stuff, but that was fun and cool and other girls were sporty aswell at my school.

The guys were mostly easy to spot, none of them were out in the open, but most of them acted a teeny bit different, seemed to hang with girls a lot more, and basically set my gaydar right off.
There was only one guy i didnt predict to be gay who turned out to be i found out years later after our friendship had faded [as they do after highschool], he had a girlfriend and everything and he was in my social circle, played sports, chilled with the guys. He was a tiny bit different in that he still liked pokemon and cartoons and stuff like that[[he is a really talented artist, i think he is working as a cartoonist now or something] but he was fun to joke around with and that, never did anything disrespectful to me etc. I kinda feel a bit put off that he didnt let me know for whatever reason, like he thought our friendship would change or some shit i dunno, but i also understand.

basically if you are gay i can understand your reasons for hiding it during school, but i really wish the world wasnt like that, and consider letting your closest friends know so they dont cop a big shock when it comes out after school.
I totally agree, im a bisexual in year 12 now, and came out around about year 9 or 10. And being still at that slightly immature age, it wasnt that widely accepted... but wasnt ever used against except in an arguement.

And, i first confided in my 2 best friends - 2 girls - and its steps like that which help you come out. It really isnt such a big deal like everyone makes it seem.
Having said that, it's not easy, you may cop some shit... i still do, but you rise above it.

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
I totally agree, im a bisexual in year 12 now, and came out around about year 9 or 10. And being still at that slightly immature age, it wasnt that widely accepted... but wasnt ever used against except in an arguement.

And, i first confided in my 2 best friends - 2 girls - and its steps like that which help you come out. It really isnt such a big deal like everyone makes it seem.
Having said that, it's not easy, you may cop some shit... i still do, but you rise above it.

'Bisexual' pfft.

Fucking choose girl!

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
no because i'm not gay.

Although one of my friends used to think he was.... a month after the HSC his best friend came out as gay to.

HSC
I don't get it when you have that one guy that everyone already knows there is no possible way he could be straight yet he refuses to come out.

JB10

HSC
I think we should have an all-gay school... Sort of, like... seperate them from everyone else..

Zakata

HSC
I think we should have an all-gay school... Sort of, like... seperate them from everyone else..
So segregation is the answer? Great. That *always* turns out wonderfully...

-

Yeah it does feel like you are the only one sometimes, which is fairly tough.

jess39

HSC
No one else at my school is gay.
At least not openly. Then again, neither am I.
Whatevs. Hopefully I will be soon. I like to hint. :)

To JB10: That has been suggested in the States (I think). Although I think it was suggested for LGBTQ kids who've had a really hard time after coming out (kicked out of home, extreme homophobia etc.). And it wouldn't be compulsory for them to go there. Just an option if they needed it.
I don't really think you were being serious, but for the sake of trying to make worthwhile discussion in this forum, personally I agree with Zakata. Segregation isn't the answer. Neither is separating people who've had a hard time. It hardly prepares them for the real world, where they will, sadly yet undoubtedly, be confronted with homophobia at some point.
The best thing would be to have some sort of gay/straight alliance in schools (they have them in America) or some sort of support service. I don't know. I guess that's kind of pointless if everyone is convinced they are the only one.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
They should segregate them to UN schools in the Gaza strip, am i rite?

yoddle

is cool
HSC
the concept of an all-gay school is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. except for a relationship point of view, as they would be no anxious hand-wringing over whether he's gay or not.

As of this year after the boy couple from the class of 08 left i'm the only out one in the whole school, there's just closets and people who don't know where the fuck they're at.
I'm not so fussed i don't think, spose i can't really help it eh. Just means my only schoolboy crushes are on straight guys which is such a total pain in the arse (hahaha or not, pardon the pun)., unless you somehow tap into their bicuriosity in the drunken early hours.

Coming out in high school is actually way fun i found, people respect you so much more and you can juts be yourself - i'm glad i did it. Its just the fam thats the issue, i'I'm putting that off indefinitely..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i started this thread because i want to know how other gay people feel about themselves in high school.
Yeah, I often find myself in high school really depressed. I look at all the young kids walking by, but none of them like me. A lot of them run away. After school, they cross the road to avoid me. Some kids say mean things and call me a "fag" amongst other things.

I'm 22 and thought it'd be easier to pick up by hanging out in schools. I was wrong :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)