Everyone is freaking me out about impossibilities. ATAR. (1 Viewer)

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Since everyone is going on about ATARs it made me think about mine. Anyway here's my question, rank and details:

Rank needed to achieve 90+ ATAR?

Current ranks as of yearly:

English ADV: 3/13 (was coming 1st but freaked out at the last min and failed epically)
Mathematics: 5/20
Ext 1 Maths: 4/4 ( yea pathetic but can improve. This was due to laziness)
Biology: 5/24 (was 1st as well. Crap teacher pulled me back)
Chemistry: 2/18
Physics: 1/11

School rank: mid 500

:confused:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
school rank is a little low, but looks like you're doing pretty well in chem and physics and others. you're on track for 90+

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
school rank is a little low, but looks like you're doing pretty well in chem and physics and others. you're on track for 90+
Yea I know. I migrated to Australia in like yr 3ish and my parents didn't speak English, so I didn't know there was such a thing as selective high school. I just applied to my local school -_-

But thanks for that. Any tips you can give in general? :D Study tips? How to not procrastinate?

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
look at past exams past exams past exams :D (once uve finished one topic in a subject, look it up in the past exams and see if u can answer them)
dont waste time studying things that obviously aren't needed (im sure you'll figure them out once u look at past exams)
clearly split ur time between studying and free time; and always keep track with whats going on in ur class

nothing much else i can say though tbh,plus im sure you've figured it all out already given ur ranks :)

Galladrim

HSC
Ranks are strong, you're evidently very intelligent, and want to do well - already ahead of most of the state ;)

To do well, simply be consistent, and spread your workload out over the course of the year. It takes some discipline but it's much better for you. Make sure you have a life it tends to reduce procrastination if you set aside time to relax.

And Practice, Practice, Practice.

Coookies

HSC
Those ranks are very good, you have the potential to be 1st in all your subjects!

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Aww thanks guys! These tips are about the most useful I've come across in all my "help/tips" threads lol Some of my ranks I reckon are flukes, I feel like I don't know very much :/

look at past exams past exams past exams :D (once uve finished one topic in a subject, look it up in the past exams and see if u can answer them)
dont waste time studying things that obviously aren't needed (im sure you'll figure them out once u look at past exams)
clearly split ur time between studying and free time; and always keep track with whats going on in ur class

nothing much else i can say though tbh,plus im sure you've figured it all out already given ur ranks :)
But we don't really know what comes in the HSC, so how do we know what to study for if that makes any sense.

Ranks are strong, you're evidently very intelligent, and want to do well - already ahead of most of the state ;)

To do well, simply be consistent, and spread your workload out over the course of the year. It takes some discipline but it's much better for you. Make sure you have a life it tends to reduce procrastination if you set aside time to relax.

And Practice, Practice, Practice.
Half my problem is consistency lol I would study like mad for an assessment task but not bothered for half of the other time I don't have assessments. I really do try, but I just procrastinate so badly :(

Those ranks are very good, you have the potential to be 1st in all your subjects!
I really don't like the word "potential". It means I can but ultimately in the end it's my determination that counts. *sigh* I need more discipline.

Bobbo1

HSC
Yep, definitely on track and steaming ahead - try and sneak those 2nd and 3rd ranks into 1st places and then you can really get into the mid to high 90s

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Yep, definitely on track and steaming ahead - try and sneak those 2nd and 3rd ranks into 1st places and then you can really get into the mid to high 90s
But my school rank is horrendous! Which brings me to the question. How much does school rank and cohort affect you?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
<90.000 ATAR... hmm school ranks affect quite a bit but not that significantly so really its your independent results and your ranks are really good so I bid you good luck and congratulations. But please +/- 1.000 or 2.000 points because I am estimating on the basis that your ranks are similar to a friend of mine in 2009 and hopefully have the same scores as him.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
96+ easily. Keep pushing, your first assessment is not a clear discriminator. Help is always available, use it. :)

If you build it, then they will come.

If you plant apple seeds, look after it and be patient, you will eventually get apple trees.

You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.

1st assessment, 1st assessment, 1st assessment....Remember that.

~Make the 13 years of schooling count, please.~

Last edited:

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
I have friends who are doing so good it makes me feel bad, so I'm going to try to improve.

Thanks for the reply everyone. You make sound so easy :lol:

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
96+ easily. Keep pushing, your first assessment is not a clear discriminator. Help is always available, use it. :)

If you build it, then they will come.

If you plant apple seeds, look after it and be patient, you will eventually get apple trees.

You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.

1st assessment, 1st assessment, 1st assessment....Remember that.

~Make the 13 years of schooling count, please.~
My teacher makes me feel stupid when I ask questions :/ That's why it takes me forever to figure some things out -_-

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Never compare yourself to others, it will only discourage you. You have what you need to succeed. You are armed with stones, all you have to do it throw it...

My teacher makes me feel stupid when I ask questions :/ That's why it takes me forever to figure some things out -_-
The only stupid question you can ask is the one that you don't ask.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Never compare yourself to others, it will only discourage you. You have what you need to succeed. You are armed with stones, all you have to do it throw it...

The only stupid question you can ask is the one that you don't ask.
I agree. It doesn't matter if you think you look stupid asking questions, its the people that hold back and dont try to understand it who end up worse off. Asking questions usually helps you get a better understanding than a lot of other ways. If your teacher sucks, have you thought about a tutor?

K

khorne

You do realise at a rank 500 school, only 1 or 2 people get 90? The OP is no where near top 1/2 in each sub, and I really doubt they will get a 90 atar with those rankings at such a school.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
You do realise at a rank 500 school, only 1 or 2 people get 90? The OP is no where near top 1/2 in each sub, and I really doubt they will get a 90 atar with those rankings at such a school.
I doubt that, I go to a rank 450 school and we had like 7 people get over 90.

AcidDrops

Banned
HSC
OP why are you even thinking about your atar. i haven't talked about anything school related with my friends since the day the exam finished just enjoy yourself and worry about your atar only on the 14th of december.

alexwareham2

HSC
Yeah school rank matters-ish, but it is only an indication of a schools ability after the HSC is marked. So whilst it puts into perspective your ranks and how you compare to the top schools, ones cohort could improve greatly and jump up in the rankings.
I would say that you have good rankings and will likely get at least in the 90s, probably 92+.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)