'Exciting' cars for under $20k (1 Viewer)

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
for that coin you can probably get yourself a 350z...

otherwise, you can probably get:

EVO VII
maybe even an RX7...

With that amount of money you are sure to find a half decent rig...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My car is a hella of a lot interesting simply because it shakes so much you feel like you are dancing in it.

On a more serious note, a very comfortable used car which you can get used for less than $20k is a 2008-2010 liberty. However this isn't exactly a small car. Its actually bigger than a few notable station wagons (including my swag-on).

If you want something smaller, Impreza, Mazda 3 (Carrot made a really good choice imo), Mazda 6, Yaris, Lancer, etc should be fitting for you, however for used you can get those for less than $15k without a doubt (unless you go for the more power type variants which may cost a bit more).

Do also keep in mind that despite you paying say $20k for it, by the end of the month you'll find yourself having to pay an extra $5k on top for transfer of title (registering it under your name), insurance, services, mechanic check up (if you opt to do one but most people don't bother), etc.

Not many people do tend to realise the extra costs associated until they buy their first car.

Good Luck and keep us all updated on what you think you are looking to get.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
What a beaut
Someone I went to school with (was an 09er though) had a corolla modifed similarly, not quite as low and had BBS LMs rather than TE37s. Afaik he ended up parting it out and selling it as a stock corolla and then bought a late model WRX STI haha.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
In terms of practical use, I probably don't need a car considering I work in the city. We have a Peugeot 308 Touring at home and that drives very well (I drove a new Corolla and Impreza while I was on my L's during lessons and they were not enjoyable to drive).

I really enjoy driving though, so any car needs to be enjoyable to drive. It would be primarily be used for weekend driving as a recreation but I'm wary that the running costs would be relatively high compared to the amount of use I get.
If you enjoy it, then why not keep the car you currently have. If you really want a new car, then yeh set in the money but plan out what type of house, where (a key factor), and how much you will need for it. And like yeh the fuel is usually a problem in terms of finance so you have to consider that too I guess.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Any ideas on what the running costs are like for a 'regular' car compared to a euro lux?

I was looking at a 2005 BMW 330i (design-wise, they've aged really well imo) for $19k but I'm wary that there's a considerable premium for maintenance.
German cars just pay more for brake pads because they wear off quicker but for servicing its not too bad. I got an A4 and its 570 bucks for major servicing with NRMA considering Audi was quoting at 980 bucks lol. 15k for each service so its pretty good imo. I think it's worth it more to pay a little more for luxury ;) If I were you I'd look at a smaller engine you'd get a newer model, maybe a 320i or c-class or A4. If you go german get a turbo.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Or buy a 3 year old commodore :p I would say that'd probs be your best bang for buck.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
But would you ride a motorbike?
You can fit in basically anywhere.
$20 of fuel can get you 80-100km depending on how much you give it.
You can lane split/filter through traffic
You can put your bag on your back etc etc
Yea, but they are is high chance of getting in an accident.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you enjoy it, then why not keep the car you currently have. If you really want a new car, then yeh set in the money but plan out what type of house, where (a key factor), and how much you will need for it. And like yeh the fuel is usually a problem in terms of finance so you have to consider that too I guess.
Yes, this won't be an issue. I assure you that I'm not an idiot with money.

German cars just pay more for brake pads because they wear off quicker but for servicing its not too bad. I got an A4 and its 570 bucks for major servicing with NRMA considering Audi was quoting at 980 bucks lol. 15k for each service so its pretty good imo. I think it's worth it more to pay a little more for luxury ;) If I were you I'd look at a smaller engine you'd get a newer model, maybe a 320i or c-class or A4. If you go german get a turbo.
Yeah that seems cheaper than the Pug we have. Our services usually cost around ~700 but that's at the dealer's own service centre. I hear you about the brake pads too.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
But would you ride a motorbike?
You can fit in basically anywhere.
$20 of fuel can get you 80-100km depending on how much you give it.
You can lane split/filter through traffic
You can put your bag on your back etc etc
Not allowed to lane split anymore in Melbourne... Kind of defeats the purpose of owning a motorcycle... however, people still do it around here...

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Not allowed to lane split anymore in Melbourne... Kind of defeats the purpose of owning a motorcycle... however, people still do it around here...
Ohh in NSW it got legalized only if traffic is moving slow and can't exceed over 30 km/h iirc, it's restricted to full motorbike license holders only. But all riders still do it.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Yes, this won't be an issue. I assure you that I'm not an idiot with money.

Yeah that seems cheaper than the Pug we have. Our services usually cost around ~700 but that's at the dealer's own service centre. I hear you about the brake pads too.
Hahaha, I dont know but, it felt like you just implied that I am an idiot for what I said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)