Experienced, 3 STATE RANKS, 99.95 ATAR, 99 UMAT (1 Viewer)

Jayson89

HSC
Definitely interested for next year! I wrote down your phone and email. Those are some amazing marks and I really like your teaching method where you do it all on the board first them write a what you need to know in the book.
What year are you in? Do let me know if you want to join =)

himmat93

HSC
BUMP. don't know Jayson personally but heard many good things. + GREAT PHYS/CHEM/BIO NOTES!!! (even though I didn't do bio, I'm sure they're brilliant)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hi

May I ask but what was the "secret" to achieving state ranks?

Jayson89

HSC
Hi!

There is no one 'secret' but I can certainly give you some tips. These tips are often heard, but of course being conjuring up some motivation to follow through with them is the major obstacle. Start studying early. Accelerate yourself at home by reading the textbook and keep yourself 2-3 weeks ahead of your school's pace. Psychological research has demonstrated that when you learn the same thing twice in different settings (separated by a time gap), memory retention is improved by a huge amount.

Many people love one subject and focus all their attention on that one, as if to ensure they come 1st in that subject in their class, at the cost of the other subjects which they less care about. This is a poor strategy as your worst subject determines your ATAR more than your best one. I would have been more satisfied coming 2nd in everything than 1st in a few and 10th in the rest. In line with this, do more than 10 units so your worst subject is automatically dropped (except English). My policy was to prioritise my worst subject at any time (which is often a slog) until it is no longer my worst subject. This process of self-improvement will gradually improve your expected ATAR.

In terms of home study, motivational management is critical. Begin the day with your least favourite subject. When you get bored of it, don't go and watch TV. Take a break from your least favourite subject (English for me), by starting studying something you prefer (Physics for me), and perhaps conclude with some Maths practice before taking a break.
Overall, in spite of these tips, the main secret is to develop much more motivation than students around you, and study hard with the goal of achieving the best mark that you possibly can.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hi!

There is no one 'secret' but I can certainly give you some tips. These tips are often heard, but of course being conjuring up some motivation to follow through with them is the major obstacle. Start studying early. Accelerate yourself at home by reading the textbook and keep yourself 2-3 weeks ahead of your school's pace. Psychological research has demonstrated that when you learn the same thing twice in different settings (separated by a time gap), memory retention is improved by a huge amount.

Many people love one subject and focus all their attention on that one, as if to ensure they come 1st in that subject in their class, at the cost of the other subjects which they less care about. This is a poor strategy as your worst subject determines your ATAR more than your best one. I would have been more satisfied coming 2nd in everything than 1st in a few and 10th in the rest. In line with this, do more than 10 units so your worst subject is automatically dropped (except English). My policy was to prioritise my worst subject at any time (which is often a slog) until it is no longer my worst subject. This process of self-improvement will gradually improve your expected ATAR.

In terms of home study, motivational management is critical. Begin the day with your least favourite subject. When you get bored of it, don't go and watch TV. Take a break from your least favourite subject (English for me), by starting studying something you prefer (Physics for me), and perhaps conclude with some Maths practice before taking a break.
Overall, in spite of these tips, the main secret is to develop much more motivation than students around you, and study hard with the goal of achieving the best mark that you possibly can.
How great advice over here. No other state ranker has given me this advice. Other state rankers have given me advice such as practice your exam technique and study a little beyond the syllabus so then you can understand the concepts

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Hi!

+ 1 x 10^6

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
BTW OP, did you get any tutoring at all when you did the HSC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)