Experienced & Affordable ENG ADV (96) tutoring | Attached is my technique list (1 Viewer)

roy23

HSC
N/A
Re: Experienced & Affordable Eng Adv(96) tutoring + FREE Notes

Hey could I have the details about cost, location, etc? :)
Sorry for the huge delay in responding, I typically tutor at Parramatta Library. I do travel occasionally depending on the day and time. As for rates it depends on location, but its mostly somewhere around 40 an hour.

roy23

HSC
N/A
Re: Experienced & Affordable Eng Adv(96) tutoring + FREE Notes

How much do you charge for english and 2u maths tutoring? and what location?
Sorry for the delay in responding. Due to a large demand for English tutoring, I dont tutor 2 unit math anymore. I typically tutor at Parramatta Library and i charge 40 an hour.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Re: Experienced & Affordable ENG ADV (96) tutoring | Free upcoming seminar at Parrama

buMp

Tryhard 0912

HSC
Re: Experienced & Affordable ENG ADV (96) tutoring | Free upcoming seminar at Parrama

O

Last edited:

Tryhard 0912

HSC

I

Last edited:

Tryhard 0912

HSC

L

Last edited:

coolies1

HSC

Don't mean to be rude, but I'm not sure if anyone has received the same experience as me :/ I went for about a term
Not very good. Not bad at tutoring, but has poor time management and bad organisation skills.
Also not often willing to help outside of class hours!
For this price, there are better tutors out there!

Last edited:

roy23

HSC
N/A

Don't mean to be rude, but I'm not sure if anyone has received the same experience as me :/ I went for about a term
Not very good. Not bad at tutoring, but has poor time management and bad organisation skills.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. With regards to my apparent unwillingness to help outside class hours, I probably had uni exams/other commitments, but I do often go out of my way to do so if time permits. I am a little poor at time management, I was late to my own hsc exams and graduation inspite of living 5 mins away from my school and will probably be late to my wedding, although I think I've improved off late. The numerous pleasant testimonials provided by ex-students in earlier posts should assert my merit as a tutor and in turn imply that this was a one off thing. Anyway, I wish you good luck with your hsc, unless you sat it last year, in which case good luck with university.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I thought I was the only one unfortunate to have one of the most memorable and traumatic experience in my life. For the past two years, I had contemplated whether to share my experience-because on the one hand, I do only want to ever say good things about other people, but I think I am going to just share what I experienced, no added salt, no added drama, just what i experienced through a whole year of tutoring with this guy in my HSC year for English Advanced.

I won't write an essay, I will say straight off this guy helped me to get a band 6 in Advanced English, he knew his texts-at least when I did my HSC so there was no question about his expertise, and for that, I am thankful. But however this same guy taught me how educationally immoral a person can be, and you, the reader, will no doubt laugh at just why I suffer myself through an entire year-I was too desperate to get a band 6 for English I guess at all costs and thought he was the only tutor around my area that's decent for Advanced.

Throughout the year, vivid as it were almost yesterday, I remembered countless times where he could cancel our lessons five minutes before it was due to start-often I was walking from my home to the library where he tutors (it was a 20 minute walk) and i would have to walk back when I am just a mere 5 minutes from the library, and it felt like he had me in his hands and could rearrange his students whenever he feel like it. Cancelling a lesson 1 hour or 1 day before-I might understand, but 5 minutes?-and for countless times-it breaks my heart now to recall it. There was also many times where he could rearrange lessons 20 minutes before so that he could tutor a selective school kid before me-if that's called bad time management-I am not sure whether I was unlucky enough to suffer through the brunt of it all in my HSC year. He could offer no reasonable explanation or even an apology when he was more than 20 minutes late to the lesson-perhaps his time was precious, my time during the HSC wasn't so much.

Then of course there was every Friday where he could cut our two hour lesson short by one hour-without prior notice-just so he could play soccer with his friends-at that moment in time-I certainly felt he didn't really care about my HSC at all-and really cared much more about making as much money as he can-that sentiment is understandable.

But then there was a time where I remembered I wrote an essay, and he transformed a significant part of it into a feature article, and then had the guts to tell me I should learn from the feature article, and talked about it as if he wrote the entire article-when I so evidently see huge chunks of paragraphs I have written in there-that was a fun time.

And of course, he promised me he won't share the fact he was tutoring me with any other student in my school at the start of our arrangement, but there were many times where he contacted me through another student-and basically let all the student he tutored from my school knew he was tutoring me.

But I guess the thing I struggled with the most was during every single lesson that I could remember, save for the very last lesson, he spent so much more time on his phone texting other people than on our essays or content-it was so hard to make him focus on the lesson-sometimes I wondered whether I was the tutor or he was-I felt like I was disrespected for paying him to tutor me when he is always constantly distracted and overall had a really laid back attitude that made me questioned whether he really cared about my HSC-perhaps it was too far away for him to remember its difficulties or cared.

Maybe he won't care anything about what I said, I don't expect him to. But I think after two years of thinking whether I should disclose my experience or not, I should. I know there are a lot of positive testimonies on here-and I will let them speak for themselves-I have always hoped he was a good guy to absolutely everyone else, and that I was the only unfortunate one to suffer through it all. And if he rebuts it by saying it was all a misunderstanding-then I guess it must have been a pretty big misunderstanding considering I am a very hard working individual-during my HSC and beyond-and others can testified to that.

I hope you really had improved in your time management from two years ago as you said you have. I know you have really good knowledge in English-but I really hope you now treat all your students with a genuine heart and a lot better than the treatment I endured two years ago. I was stupid for not leaving you earlier, but the experience toughened me beyond what I could imagine and it was a reason why I was really glad when the HSC was over. I genuinely do wish you all the best for whatever you do-I trust you have changed-but you might be comforted by the fact you have changed my life for the better-for I have learnt so much from this experience and what I have now couldn't have been possible without this experience. So to this date, I am very thankful for it.

On another note, in the title of your tutoring thread-you mentioned you have a free upcoming seminar in parramatta-but you have put this for the past half a year and to the best of my knowledge and involvement with parramatta library, you have no plan or have hosted a free upcoming seminar any time soon-so I think perhaps you should stop deluding others from thinking you have plans to help when you really have no plans to.

Last edited:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Experienced & Affordable ENG ADV (96) tutoring | Free upcoming seminar at Par...

yeah tbh I had a similar experience where I went for one lesson before hsc and after that it was just excuses and cancelling lessons. It actually isn't that hard to send a message/call like an hour in advance lol.

I ended up going to the library like 3 times and was told after the lesson that it had to be cancelled, so no prior warning.
I just find it inconsiderate because people have other commitments and you can't just assume that telling them 5 minutes in advance or not informing them about cancelling the lesson is ok.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC

^actually, I can somewhat testify. I only ever had him once. I only ever saw good reviews, so i thought i was the only one with the bad experience. The first lesson (and last) he was about 7 mins late but I didn't really mind, seeing it was his first time there (maybe).I could tell during that 1hr, he was skillful and knew his shit. Fast forward to the end of the lesson, he confirmed the time and place for the next lesson with me. He never showed up, didn't even bother contacting me. I waited in the library for like 20 minutes like an idiot. I messaged him later that day and his excuse was something along the lines of I didn't know we had a lesson or I was busy (it has been a while). This pissed me off at the time, wasted so much time for this guy.
Well, I hope you treat your other students better. All the best.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

roy23

HSC
N/A

yeah tbh I had a similar experience where I went for one lesson before hsc and after that it was just excuses and cancelling lessons. It actually isn't that hard to send a message/call like an hour in advance lol.

I ended up going to the library like 3 times and was told after the lesson that it had to be cancelled, so no prior warning.
I just find it inconsiderate because people have other commitments and you can't just assume that telling them 5 minutes in advance or not informing them about cancelling the lesson is ok.
^actually, I can somewhat testify. I only ever had him once. I only ever saw good reviews, so i thought i was the only one with the bad experience. The first lesson (and last) he was about 7 mins late but I didn't really mind, seeing it was his first time there (maybe).I could tell during that 1hr, he was skillful and knew his shit. Fast forward to the end of the lesson, he confirmed the time and place for the next lesson with me. He never showed up, didn't even bother contacting me. I waited in the library for like 20 minutes like an idiot. I messaged him later that day and his excuse was something along the lines of I didn't know we had a lesson or I was busy (it has been a while). This pissed me off at the time, wasted so much time for this guy.
Well, I hope you treat your other students better. All the best.

Your sentiments are likely true since 2 yrs ago I was far more callous than I am now, I'm accept the blame for it although I can assure you that my punctuality has significantly improved. Anyway, I hope you have found success and happiness with your endeavours.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC

Your sentiments are likely true since 2 yrs ago I was far more callous than I am now, I'm accept the blame for it although I can assure you that my punctuality has significantly improved. Anyway, I hope you have found success and happiness with your endeavours.
what if I told you, I had you ~5 months ago
But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you've changed for the better

roy23

HSC
N/A

I thought I was the only one unfortunate to have one of the most memorable and traumatic experience in my life. For the past two years, I had contemplated whether to share my experience-because on the one hand, I do only want to ever say good things about other people, but I think I am going to just share what I experienced, no added salt, no added drama, just what i experienced through a whole year of tutoring with this guy in my HSC year for English Advanced.

I won't write an essay, I will say straight off this guy helped me to get a band 6 in Advanced English, he knew his texts-at least when I did my HSC so there was no question about his expertise, and for that, I am thankful. But however this same guy taught me how educationally immoral a person can be, and you, the reader, will no doubt laugh at just why I suffer myself through an entire year-I was too desperate to get a band 6 for English I guess at all costs and thought he was the only tutor around my area that's decent for Advanced.

Throughout the year, vivid as it were almost yesterday, I remembered countless times where he could cancel our lessons five minutes before it was due to start-often I was walking from my home to the library where he tutors (it was a 20 minute walk) and i would have to walk back when I am just a mere 5 minutes from the library, and it felt like he had me in his hands and could rearrange his students whenever he feel like it. Cancelling a lesson 1 hour or 1 day before-I might understand, but 5 minutes?-and for countless times-it breaks my heart now to recall it. There was also many times where he could rearrange lessons 20 minutes before so that he could tutor a selective school kid before me-if that's called bad time management-I am not sure whether I was unlucky enough to suffer through the brunt of it all in my HSC year. He could offer no reasonable explanation or even an apology when he was more than 20 minutes late to the lesson-perhaps his time was precious, my time during the HSC wasn't so much.

Then of course there was every Friday where he could cut our two hour lesson short by one hour-without prior notice-just so he could play soccer with his friends-at that moment in time-I certainly felt he didn't really care about my HSC at all-and really cared much more about making as much money as he can-that sentiment is understandable.

But then there was a time where I remembered I wrote an essay, and he transformed a significant part of it into a feature article, and then had the guts to tell me I should learn from the feature article, and talked about it as if he wrote the entire article-when I so evidently see huge chunks of paragraphs I have written in there-that was a fun time.

And of course, he promised me he won't share the fact he was tutoring me with any other student in my school at the start of our arrangement, but there were many times where he contacted me through another student-and basically let all the student he tutored from my school knew he was tutoring me.

But I guess the thing I struggled with the most was during every single lesson that I could remember, save for the very last lesson, he spent so much more time on his phone texting other people than on our essays or content-it was so hard to make him focus on the lesson-sometimes I wondered whether I was the tutor or he was-I felt like I was disrespected for paying him to tutor me when he is always constantly distracted and overall had a really laid back attitude that made me questioned whether he really cared about my HSC-perhaps it was too far away for him to remember its difficulties or cared.

Maybe he won't care anything about what I said, I don't expect him to. But I think after two years of thinking whether I should disclose my experience or not, I should. I know there are a lot of positive testimonies on here-and I will let them speak for themselves-I have always hoped he was a good guy to absolutely everyone else, and that I was the only unfortunate one to suffer through it all. And if he rebuts it by saying it was all a misunderstanding-then I guess it must have been a pretty big misunderstanding considering I am a very hard working individual-during my HSC and beyond-and others can testified to that.

I hope you really had improved in your time management from two years ago as you said you have. I know you have really good knowledge in English-but I really hope you now treat all your students with a genuine heart and a lot better than the treatment I endured two years ago. I was stupid for not leaving you earlier, but the experience toughened me beyond what I could imagine and it was a reason why I was really glad when the HSC was over. I genuinely do wish you all the best for whatever you do-I trust you have changed-but you might be comforted by the fact you have changed my life for the better-for I have learnt so much from this experience and what I have now couldn't have been possible without this experience. So to this date, I am very thankful for it.

On another note, in the title of your tutoring thread-you mentioned you have a free upcoming seminar in parramatta-but you have put this for the past half a year and to the best of my knowledge and involvement with parramatta library, you have no plan or have hosted a free upcoming seminar any time soon-so I think perhaps you should stop deluding others from thinking you have plans to help when you really have no plans to.
'He knew his texts-at least when I did my HSC so there was no question about his expertise, and for that, I am thankful.' I too am thankful and happy that you found my tutoring informative even though you now describe the experience as traumatic. When reading the email you sent me post HSC, I remember you being rather pleasant and feeling quite grateful for having being tutored by me, for which I am thankful for. So naturally your newly proclaimed sentiments about ‘trauma’ confuse me. I will attach the letter here, not to air out personal conversations, but simply to add authenticity to this reply.

Anyway, I don’t take particular issue with any of your statements; if you found my tutoring stressful I really wish you did leave and find yourself a better suited tutor for your personal well-being and contentment, but I guess as you said you were 'too desperate to get a band 6 for English I guess at all costs.' So I'm happy that you did well under my tutelage.

I do take issue with dishonest sentiments though; 'he promised me he won't share the fact he was tutoring me with any other student in my school at the start of our arrangement, but there were many times where he contacted me through another student-and basically let all the student he tutored from my school knew he was tutoring me.' I tutored you at Parramatta Library; many of your friends frequently saw you and frequently interacted with you. Unless they ironically assumed that you were in fact the one tutoring me, I don't see how they were not aware that I was your tutor. If you were so concerned about your privacy, I wish you asked me to hold lessons at my house and not in the middle of a public library that was frequented by your friends from school. I would have gladly obliged. I find myself repeating this, but this was 2 years ago and I believe that over the course of this time, my punctuality has significantly improved.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your tutoring and with university studies.

I can gladly assure you however that unpunctuality is no longer as much of an issue as it once was, so if you have any more grievances, I would rather you call me or PM me as opposed to using this space as a personal diary of sorts.

http://imgur.com/SkvGOLc (Link to the aforementioned letter, although I took the liberty of cutting it down a lot)

Last edited:

go_cadel

HSC

so if you have any more grievances, I would rather you call me or PM me as opposed to using this space as a personal diary of sorts.
Understandable, but on a forum page allowing comments on a service, people should be allowed to express whatever opinion they have on a tutor - whether good or bad. I think your attitude hasn't really changed - you make sarcastic comments such as a 'personal diary of sorts' as if people's negative opinions on their tutoring experience shouldn't be taken seriously. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

roy23

HSC
N/A

Understandable, but on a forum page allowing comments on a service, people should be allowed to express whatever opinion they have on a tutor - whether good or bad. I think your attitude hasn't really changed - you make sarcastic comments such as a 'personal diary of sorts' as if people's negative opinions on their tutoring experience shouldn't be taken seriously. Correct me if i'm wrong though.
I think you may have missed the point of my response; I was merely showcasing the vast difference between the sentiments Strawberrye(Mei) expressed via a 3000 plus word email and her recent claims of tutoring being traumatic. I tutored Mei for 2 hrs a week or more, every week, and she ended up getting 93 and came 1st in her school and was understandably pleased with my tutoring at the time. However 2 years later, she seemed to regret being tutored by me. I found that bewildering, that was the point of my response. With regards to my attitude changing, I'm sorry if I come off as harsh at times, I'd rather state my mind than stick to pretences of kindness.

That being said there have been 80 or so comments by students who were pleased with my tutoring and there have also been 4 students who were discontent with my punctuality and I will take all this criticism on board. I do encourage all the students I have tutored to leave feedback, since feedback helps improve a service.

Last edited:

HSC

Yea, I used to go to him two years ago and I can confirm that he was always around 15min late. It was pretty annoying but it didn't matter because in the end all my friends and I got a band 6.

However my brother recently started going to him and he says he's been on time. Just pls make sure he gets a band 6 as well haha.

go_cadel

HSC

I think you may have missed the point of my response; I was merely showcasing the vast difference between the sentiments Strawberrye(Mei) expressed via a 3000 plus word email and her recent claims of tutoring being traumatic. I tutored Mei for 2 hrs a week or more, every week, and she ended up getting 93 and came 1st in her school and was understandably pleased with my tutoring at the time. However 2 years later, she seemed to regret being tutored by me. I found that bewildering, that was the point of my response. With regards to my attitude changing, I'm sorry if I come off as harsh at times, I'd rather state my mind than stick to pretences of kindness.

That being said there have been 80 or so comments by students who were pleased with my tutoring and there have also been 4 students who were discontent with my punctuality and I will take all this criticism on board. I do encourage all the students I have tutored to leave feedback, since feedback helps improve a service.
I don't think I missed the point, I was merely opting for more transparency in the sharing of opinions and experiences so people know what to expect from a service. The rest of your post is fair enough though, although I sense you're still trying to cover your tracks a bit. (Punctuality wasn't the only issue, and people's reflection of their experiences CAN change with time after having more experiences and realising what the appropriate standard/norm is) I think arguing this any further would be moot though, I can only hope you've change for the better and that your more recent claims are indeed holding true.

Bobbo1

HSC

Hi,

Just wondering could we have proof of your credentials? i.e. your 96 HSC English mark? And also your ATAR?

Thanks,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)