Explanation of HSC Marks (Moderating) (1 Viewer)

noobsgetowned

HSC
hmm Rage Knows so much O_O
Was interesting reading all this.

I have one question if someone could answer it =]

Say in my school assessments, I dont come first, Im ranked about 2nd and 3rd. In my HSC exam, I end up beating everyone. the Difference in final HSC marks is about 5-10 in most subjects. How will that work?

Will those people who beat me through out the year get my marks? Or will i get the top marks regardless of the School assessments.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
noobsgetowned said:
hmm Rage Knows so much O_O
Was interesting reading all this.

I have one question if someone could answer it =]

Say in my school assessments, I dont come first, Im ranked about 2nd and 3rd. In my HSC exam, I end up beating everyone. the Difference in final HSC marks is about 5-10 in most subjects. How will that work?

Will those people who beat me through out the year get my marks? Or will i get the top marks regardless of the School assessments.

The highest exam mark earned by anyone in your class/school will be given as the assessment mark to the student who was ranked first by the school. The same thing with the lowest exam mark and the lowest school ranked student. This means that the range of marks awarded for the assessment marks matches the exam marks. This is seen as a fair way of moderating.

The next step is to add up the total exam marks earned by the group and then have that total be awarded as the assessment marks to the group. Again this is seen as fair across the state.

Finally the relative differences are taken into account when allocating the assessment marks.

You will keep your own exam mark.

So - all students keep their own earned exam mark but if a student who doesn't come first in the school assessments comes first on the exam then they will keep their exam mark but the student who came first on the school assessment marks will get your exam mark as their assessment mark.

It is deemed the fairest way to ensure that schools assessment marks can be brought into line across the state.

noobsgetowned

HSC
cool xD

ok so if someone had a bad rank, say one of the lowest in the class and he managed to get the highest HSC mark, He would still keep that mark? And the person who was ranked first in school assessments will also get his mark? So does that mean the school assessment wont pull the person down too much?

im also worried about the fellow students in my class who arent doing well. Will they affect my mark? Im ranked top 3 but my class only has about 10-15 students.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
noobsgetowned said:
cool xD

ok so if someone had a bad rank, say one of the lowest in the class and he managed to get the highest HSC mark, He would still keep that mark? And the person who was ranked first in school assessments will also get his mark? So does that mean the school assessment wont pull the person down too much?

im also worried about the fellow students in my class who arent doing well. Will they affect my mark? Im ranked top 3 but my class only has about 10-15 students.

If Student A was ranked last by your school but then received the highest exam mark he/she would take the lowest exam mark as their assessment mark (based on their low ranking) and the highest exam mark (based on their own performance) as their exam mark.

If Student B was ranked first by the school he/she would take Student A's exam mark as their assessment mark (based on their first rank) and keep their own exam mark.

ashraf91

HSC
ok im so lost now, ppl sayin different fingz, im doin accelerated maths in yr 11
im rippin every1 at ma skool, including yr 12, gettin full marks in all ma assesments

the diff between ma and the nxt person is all ways sumfing like 30-40%

will ma assesment marks get affected,
btw i go to loyola in d getto(mtdruitt)

will dey jump on ma back or will i slide down to their level

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
ashraf91 said:
ok im so lost now, ppl sayin different fingz, im doin accelerated maths in yr 11
im rippin every1 at ma skool, including yr 12, gettin full marks in all ma assesments

the diff between ma and the nxt person is all ways sumfing like 30-40%

will ma assesment marks get affected,
btw i go to loyola in d getto(mtdruitt)

will dey jump on ma back or will i slide down to their level
If you have first rank, then you're fine. It's only your performance in the external HSC exam that will affect your final mark.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
For the average person the chances are that u will get scaled down.

bobbus

HSC
N/A
hey

just wonderin how assessment marks work between schools. I realize schools will have harder and easier assessments and this is taken into account. But is overall student abilty taken into account. I say this because a selective high school may have hard assessments and perform just as well as a normal highschool with easy assessments. So what happens to the low ranked selective students who perform better in the HSC then the top ranked noraml school students???

Maddy1012

HSC
why isnt that moderator thingy working? i input the assessment makrs and exam marks and press "moderate" but nothing changes?
what am i doing wrong :/

Kmara2nv

HSC
now i need help in my skool there is on 12 kids in yr 12 including me

so like in maths 2 unit here are 4 kids in 3 unit there are 3 kids in bio there are 5 kids in ipt there are 6 kids and in che there are 4 kids and in adv english there are 5 kids.

is this a advantage to us being small skool or mean nothng like in extension one maths im 3rd but there are only 3 kids :/ so kiinda confusing everything else im 3rd or second or first (in chem), is this goood or badd coz now im worrried :D

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
basically theres no advantage in you being in a school with a minute amount of people. Its just that you have less people to beat. However, it might help to a certain extent, because the teacher can devote more time to you since the classes are small, but that depends on the quality of the teacher.

basically if youre 3/3 for ext maths, then basically you have to hope that the two kids and yourself ace the externals, since the lowest hsc mark for that exam will become your moderated assessment mark.

Stipe Pletikosa

HSC
Ok i think i nearly got the hang of all this! I do have one queory however.

You said that if you come lets say 19th for your internal rank, that you will get a moderated mark equivalent to that of the 19th placed HSC mark. You did say however, taht this mark will not be exact and will fluctuate where neccesary. Can you please give me an example of the fluctuation? Are we talking 2-3 marks or .5 of a mark or even 10 marks. Thats the only part i dont quiet understand yet :)

Harvey321

KALIFORNIA
HSC
k, if i have an assessment mark of say 82 in adv. english, and im second, n first has an asessment mark of about 88, does that mean for me to have any hope of getting a B6 i need 98+??

Can the mark difference between ranks be shortened ever?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
chocolatecookie said:
okay, this has made me feel a bit better- but maybe i interpreted wrong. i just finished my last exam today, and looking back on all of them, im not too happy, because i felt i didnt achieve to the best of my ability for various reasons... anyhow... i ranked 2nd for most of my subjects (modern, ancient, english ad, ext 1) and third for history x, and i go to a pretty good school.

but i think that my HSC marks will be lower than my school assessment marks, and im worrying that this is going to affect my final marks a lot... but according to you it won't? say in english ad (id guess my raw mark to be low 90s?) in the external mark i got in the mid 80s, and a student who is below my rank received a higher mark in the HSC exam - i would receive also their exam mark? even if i got 80% in the exam and they got 90%? that doesn't make sense to me, although i hope it is true lol.
You would received their HSC exam mark as your HSC assessment mark, and keep your HSC exam mark as your own, to put it basically. The average of the two becomes your final HSC mark.

HSC
cem said:
The highest exam mark earned by anyone in your class/school will be given as the assessment mark to the student who was ranked first by the school. The same thing with the lowest exam mark and the lowest school ranked student. This means that the range of marks awarded for the assessment marks matches the exam marks. This is seen as a fair way of moderating.

The next step is to add up the total exam marks earned by the group and then have that total be awarded as the assessment marks to the group. Again this is seen as fair across the state.

Finally the relative differences are taken into account when allocating the assessment marks.

You will keep your own exam mark.

So - all students keep their own earned exam mark but if a student who doesn't come first in the school assessments comes first on the exam then they will keep their exam mark but the student who came first on the school assessment marks will get your exam mark as their assessment mark.

It is deemed the fairest way to ensure that schools assessment marks can be brought into line across the state.
okay, this has made me feel a bit better- but maybe i interpreted wrong. i just finished my last exam today, and looking back on all of them, im not too happy, because i felt i didnt achieve to the best of my ability for various reasons... anyhow... i ranked 2nd for most of my subjects (modern, ancient, english ad, ext 1) and third for history x, and i go to a pretty good school.

but i think that my HSC marks will be lower than my school assessment marks, and im worrying that this is going to affect my final marks a lot... but according to you it won't? say in english ad (id guess my raw mark to be low 90s?) in the external mark i got in the mid 80s, and a student who is below my rank received a higher mark in the HSC exam - i would receive also their exam mark? even if i got 80% in the exam and they got 90%? that doesn't make sense to me, although i hope it is true lol.

kokolicious

HSC
i did 2 unit maths(i was going alright ...i was geting 60-70%) but dropd 2 general & im coming first now with marks like 95 .........am i still going to get scaled down???????

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
chocolatecookie said:

You don't get their exam mark as your exam mark. You get your own exam mark.

but....

The range of marks awarded to your class/school in the exam will be the same range of marks awarded for the scaled school assessment marks. In addition the total marks earned by your class/school in an exam will match the total number of marks awarded for the scaled assessments.

Your ranks and the difference between the ranks are included in the calculation of the awarding of the scaled assessment marks.

The only two exam marks that will definitely be awarded (assuming no equal firsts or lasts in a course) as assessment marks are the top and bottom. After that the only things that matters are the ranks and relative difference.

If a class has an exam range of 92 - 61 and a total allocation of marks of say 890 then the class will have a range of scaled assessment marks matching that but the actual marks, except for the 92 and the 61 won't necessarily be the same.

The second ranked person doesn't get the second highest exam mark but a scaled mark based on the above criteria.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
i remember reading somewhere that they adjust the school assessment marks so that the mean matches the mean aligned exam mark, and that the make the max mark the same. But i also read somewhere "where possible the bottom mark is made the same". But how can they make the mean and max and min the same. As if you mean the same, and then make the max the same, thats ok. But then if you change it so that the min mark is the same, the mean will probably change. I might be wrong, but I didn't think that this was mathematically possible?

So do they actually make the min mark the same?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)