Explanation of HSC Marks (Moderating) (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
halloween98 said:
k i'm FRIKEN confused, someone has told me that whatever u get in ur HSC EXAM mark is the only thing that goes towards to ur UAI mark. Is this true?
No it is not true. Your HSC exam counts for 50%. The other 50% is from school assessments. But working out the school assessment mark has a very large process that is thoroughly discussed in this thread.

neXus

HSC
ok. Firstly im sorry because i know im repeating a question that im sure has been asked many times before.

What happens if because i have been lazy throughout the year i have a poor ranking and assessment mark.
but somehow i do well in the hsc and my exam mark rank is considerably higher than my assessment rank?

i heard somewhere that my assessment rank could be changed so that the difference is minimised, is this true?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Your assessment mark will not change. If you don't do well in school but your performance in the HSC exam is good, it will still simply be the average of your moderated assessment mark and your HSC exam mark that is taken.

So if you didn't do too well in your assessment and got a 65/100. but you do well in the HSC exam and get 90/100. The average of 65 and 90 is taken to give 77.5. It is true to say that you can pick up your act and still do well in the HSC but it's really a subjective opinion as to whether doing well in the HSC exam makes up for poor assessment performance.

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
how would you go about finding the moderated assessment marsk out? if u cant, is there any way of estimating them?

helper

HSC
N/A
No-one knows your moderated assessment until all HSC papers are marked.

Estimating, is a guestimate based on how your school marks the assessment tasks. Eg. At my school, people who gain 30-40 in Physics assessment tests, commonly end up with 60-70 in the HSC

angmor

HSC
so is it true in saying that in a crappier school, i wont scaled up as much as one in a selective school? say i get 60 for a subject, it wont get pulled out to the 90s as in selective schools?

ko0l

Old man
HSC
Ragerunner said:
Your assessment mark will not change. If you don't do well in school but your performance in the HSC exam is good, it will still simply be the average of your moderated assessment mark and your HSC exam mark that is taken.

So if you didn't do too well in your assessment and got a 65/100. but you do well in the HSC exam and get 90/100. The average of 65 and 90 is taken to give 77.5. It is true to say that you can pick up your act and still do well in the HSC but it's really a subjective opinion as to whether doing well in the HSC exam makes up for poor assessment performance.
..ahh

Last edited:

helper

HSC
N/A
angmor said:
so is it true in saying that in a crappier school, i wont scaled up as much as one in a selective school? say i get 60 for a subject, it wont get pulled out to the 90s as in selective schools?
Scaled, then it will be the same and is independent of the school.

Moderation of Assessment is dependent on your school cohort and how your teacher has been marking your work.

halloween98

HSC
BULL, BULL, AND MORE BULL.

That ain't wat i heard. They don't average ur school assessment and HSC exam on a 50/50 basis. The HSC EXAM has the major impact on ur UAI, that's wat i heard.

will somebody plz ask the board of studies, OR DON'T MAKE UP CRAP.

helper

HSC
N/A
halloween98 said:

That ain't wat i heard. They don't average ur school assessment and HSC exam on a 50/50 basis. The HSC EXAM has the major impact on ur UAI, that's wat i heard.

How true your post is bull, so whymake up crap?

BOS has nothing to do with UAI, so they won't give you an answer. UAC is in charge.

They have two documents on it.
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc_report_2005.pdf
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc_report_2005.pdf

As the documents state
There are several steps in the process.
Step 1 The first step is to calculate the average of the raw examination mark and the moderated school assessment marks for each of Elizabeth s courses.
These averages are called raw HSC marks and these are the marks that are scaled.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
halloween98 said:

The HSC exam does have a major impact. I heard it's exactly 50% of your HSC. :)

If you say they don't average the school assessment and the HSC exam on a 50/50 basis, I wouldn't exactly be calling that averaging, since averaging 2 things means they will have equal parts i.e. 50/50.

halloween98

HSC
LISTEN HERE

i meant that when the moderation of the assessments and the HSC EXAM is processed. The HSC EXAM usually has a greater impact on ur UAI mark in contrast to the school assessment mark.

IS THAT TRUE OR NOT, IF SO, BY HOW MUCH?

helper

HSC
N/A
Did you bother reading the answers or read the links?

The scaling process used in working out your UAI uses 50% moderated assessment mark and 50% exam mark. So they have equal impact.

So your HSC exam doesn't have a greater impact.

ko0l

Old man
HSC
ko0l said:
look at this attached picture this is how it works..
its the same model as RAGERUNNER's example at this friend.
and by the way, helper it looks like you dont really understand how it works cuz u didnt answer the other guy's question.
final statement: yes it is very important that you do well in the final exam
the more better you do in the final exam the likely possibility that your assessment mark will be closer yo your external mark depending on the distribution of external marks at your school.(just dont worry about your school rankings too much yet just ace the final exam and gg.

go to this link here:
http://community.boredofstudies.org...-marks-moderating/13649/pic2.jpg?d=1157441724

halloween98:LISTEN HERE

i meant that when the moderation of the assessments and the HSC EXAM is processed. The HSC EXAM usually has a greater impact on ur UAI mark in contrast to the school assessment mark.

IS THAT TRUE OR NOT, IF SO, BY HOW MUCH?

helper:Did you bother reading the answers or read the links?

The scaling process used in working out your UAI uses 50% moderated assessment mark and 50% exam mark. So they have equal impact.

So your HSC exam doesn't have a greater impact.

Dont get yourself confused guys only the moderated asssessment mark and the external mark is used to calculate final hsc mark
the school assessment mark is not used only the moderated assessment mark is. you will realise that the assessment mark printed on your hsc certificate and results ( received around December 20 2006) is actually someone else's external mark in your school (e.g it will BE someone else's external mark in your school(subject).
AND yes the hsc exam will have the ultimate impact on your hsc. THe more better you do in the final exam the more higher and closer the moderated assessment will be. e.g if u came first at school and came first again in external (at your school) your moderated assessment mark will be the same as your external mark.

Last edited:

helper

HSC
N/A
ko0l said:
helper it looks like you dont really understand how it works cuz u didnt answer the other guy's question.
I understand it fine, and from your answer, you try and take a small sampe and extrapolate into something that is not always the case.

final statement: yes it is very important that you do well in the final exam
the more better you do in the final exam the likely possibility that your assessment mark will be closer yo your external mark depending on the distribution of external marks at your school.
If your at the top of the rankings or perform in the same way as your rankings then this is true. IF you are not at the top of the rankings, you want to ensure a bigger gap from your assessment by performing better in your exam and better than your class mates.

Yes it is best to do as well as possible in your exams as possible to maximise your marks.

Dont get yourself confused guys only the moderated asssessment mark and the external mark is used to calculate final hsc mark
the school assessment mark is not used only the moderated assessment mark is.
Where does this come from? Your school assessment mark.

you will realise that the assessment mark printed on your hsc certificate and results ( received around December 20 2006) is actually someone else's external mark in your school (e.g it will BE someone else's external mark in your school(subject).
Wrong.
It is not a simple ranking process, it is based on a statistical analysis, where the gaps in your assessment marks go into it.

AND yes the hsc exam will have the ultimate impact on your hsc. THe more better you do in the final exam the more higher and closer the moderated assessment will be. e.g if u came first at school and came first again in external (at your school) your moderated assessment mark will be the same as your external mark.
And if I came last in my assessment, then my HSC mark will be closer to my assessment by going better?

Not everyone comes first.

ko0l

Old man
HSC
helper said:
I understand it fine, and from your answer, you try and take a small sampe and extrapolate into something that is not always the case.

If your at the top of the rankings or perform in the same way as your rankings then this is true. IF you are not at the top of the rankings, you want to ensure a bigger gap from your assessment by performing better in your exam and better than your class mates.

Yes it is best to do as well as possible in your exams as possible to maximise your marks.

Wrong.
It is not a simple ranking process, it is based on a statistical analysis, where the gaps in your assessment marks go into it.

And if I came last in my assessment, then my HSC mark will be closer to my assessment by going better?

NOPE the assessment mark submitted by your teacher will not appear on your final hsc certificate. Different schools have different assessments and therefore the teachers are really meant to submit rankings.(the marks that accompany rankings is to avoid confusion and inaccuracies)

helper said:
-->
what? are you sure you know what you are talking about?((""extrapolate into something that is not always the case."""))
it appears you are not sure "not always the case".... You are only assuming and not concluding. Disappointing...

Wrong. (said helper)

Your totally wrong "helper" in the way you are saying that the gaps drag you down at school and even during moderation. UAC NO LONGER uses the school rankings and and school median marks and gaps to determine uai.
The external exam is the only way that all students get compared without any bias and marks are compared relatively standard in this way.

what the (^% are you ttalking about? saying
""And if I came last in my assessment, then my HSC mark will be closer to my assessment by going better?""
> it depends on how many people you beat at school and how many people you beat again during external.
THE RANKINGS ARE RETAINED AND IF U PERFORM THE SAME DURING EXTERNAL AND IF U DID ACHIEVE THE SAME RANK IN EXTERNAL THEN YOUR ASSESSMENT MODERATED MARK WILL BE THE SAME AS EXTERNAL. Omfg

posting so much and yet you do not know how it even works.
why dont you go research scaling aggregate and see how the aligning and scaling works especially i mean the external exam plus its importance.

ko0l

Old man
HSC
helper said:

Wrong.

NOPE the assessment mark submitted by your teacher will not appear on your final hsc certificate. Different schools have different assessments and therefore the teachers are really meant to submit rankings.(the marks that accompany rankings is to avoid confusion and inaccuracies)

helper said:
-->
what? are you sure you know what you are talking about?((""extrapolate into something that is not always the case."""))
it appears you are not sure "not always the case".... You are only assuming and not concluding. Disappointing...

Wrong. (said helper)

Your totally wrong "helper" in the way you are saying that the gaps drag you down at school and even during moderation. UAC NO LONGER uses the school rankings and and school median marks and gaps to determine uai.
The external exam is the only way that all students get compared without any bias and marks are compared relatively standard in this way.

what the (^% are you ttalking about? saying
""And if I came last in my assessment, then my HSC mark will be closer to my assessment by going better?""
> it depends on how many people you beat at school and how many people you beat again during external.
THE RANKINGS ARE RETAINED AND IF U PERFORM THE SAME DURING EXTERNAL AND IF U DID ACHIEVE THE SAME RANK IN EXTERNAL THEN YOUR ASSESSMENT MODERATED MARK WILL BE THE SAME AS EXTERNAL. Omfg

posting so much and yet you do not know how it even works.
why dont you go research scaling aggregate and see how the aligning and scaling works especially i mean the external exam plus its importance. ahh h wasting people's time especially to correct your false interpretations of the hsc + marks.
when other people read it they get confused dont post any more incorrect corrections helper.

You are confusing other people too much, please stop it.

angmor

HSC
calm down. great post btw, i know everything i wanted to know about scaling and shit now. just hope its right.

helper

HSC
N/A
Kool, all I am going to say is what you are posting is against what the Board of Studies is posting.

"Where students are placed on the same mark, any subsequent processing of the marks cannot separate these performances. When ‘clumped’ assessment marks are moderated, all the students who are grouped on one mark remain on one mark – which can disadvantage some of them if in fact there are even small differences between their achievements as measured by the school’s assessment program.
Students’ performances in the HSC are also used in the calculation of the students’ University Admission Index (UAI). Their initial examination marks and initial school assessment marks after the statistical moderation is applied
to the assessments (that is, before the alignment to the performance scales) are re-scaled by the Universities Admission Centre to create the UAI rank used in the selection of students for tertiary courses."

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/HSC_asses_booklet_cov.pdf

" Moderation of school assessment marks

The process used to moderate school assessment marks in the new HSC is very similar to the process used in previous years.

To ensure comparability of assessment marks from each school, assessment marks are moderated to match the performance of each school group on the common external examination using the raw examination marks obtained by the group.

The moderation process first sets the mean of a school’s assessment marks in a course equal to the mean examination mark of those students. The top assessment is set equal to the top examination mark and, where possible, the lowest assessment is set equal to the lowest examination mark for that school group.

Finally, the students’ moderated assessment marks are aligned to the performance scale using the same adjustments as for examination marks.

In all cases the assessment mark submitted to the Board will still need to reflect the rank order and relative differences between the achievement of students. "

http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc/hsc_update_2002_06.html

Could you quote and reference one document from the Board of Studies or UAC that states marks are pegged against exam marks, except for the first ranking?

Even the first page on this thread the document, which I assume is correct contradicts you.
http://www.users.on.net/~unix/HSCmarks.pdf

Last edited:

ko0l

Old man
HSC
Go to this link and read it.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...na/6642/explanation-hsc-marks-moderating.html

The School Assessment marks were originally much harsher (lower) for students in School B than School A, but the performance in the Exam suggests that both groups are similar in ability. While School A's School Assessment average was slightly higher than expected given their exam performance, School B's School Assessment average was much lower than expected (it was 47.3, rather than 79.3). Therefore moderation for School A brought the assessment marks downward slightly, while moderation for School B brought the assessment marks upwards a large amount. The end result is School A and School B students
receiving consistent HSC marks.

For example go to the first page of this thread by rage runner.
e.g i will use school B
can you see why Anne's moderated Assessment mark is 86 while ben is only 82.
the reason why is Anne receives 86 as moderated assessment mark is because SHE CAME FIRST AT SCHOOL only 60 (UNMODERATED) and therefore she receives the EXTERNAL mark of the highest mark at her school which was achieved by Ben = 86 external. Can you see how it works now? Yes when the head teachers are explaining how it works they will tend to say rankings do play a part in scaling and not only at school but also the external ranking.

Anne's low mark of 60 does not count and is not the final assessment (obviously).
if u still cannot see what is going on go and look at the first page of this thread and compare quickly in a new window.

THE UAI is a rank not a mark.
realistic example
e.g Why dont you admit it , i have asked many students how well they got scaled and especially take a local example at a Selective School e.g Girraween
A friend who only got average 50% in English Advanced who had bad rankings still scored in the high 93 in English Advanced as their final hsc mark. They looked at their assessment mark as it appeared on the HSC certificate. IT DID NOT SAY 60 OR 70 OR EVEN 50. IT WAS PRINTED 90 because he simply beat lots of people in external + got very high mark relative to the top 4% of state.

Another HYPOTHETICAL example

Miss Kumar attended School abc (school shall not be named as it may reflect image of school)

She came second last in school but she excelled in Mathematics + Maths EXT 1
Chemistry and Physics + English Advanced + Economics. (12 units)

She achieved 90's overall in all her subjects but EVERYONE IN THE STATE BEAT HER IN THE FINAL EXAM BY MORE THAN 7% ON AVERAGE IN THEIR SUBJECTS.

Her UAI is not going to be anywhere near 90 or even 60.
THe reason why is because everyone else in the state performed better than her and her final rankings in her subjects meant that she done bad considering eeryone else got 100% and this meant she was at the bottom 1% of the state and therefore her scaled aggregate is much less than everyone else in the state.
e last year about 27000 sat for eng advanced and 29000 sat for english standard and she is going to get less than 50 UAI for sure because she done bad relative to everyone else. if u aced the exam relatively better compared to everyone else in the state which means not only your school but everyone in the state then therefore you get a good high uai.
your rankings in the final exam is compared to the whole state not only your school but everyone else.

unnecessary to stress again but anyway " THE UAI is a rank not a MARK!"
therefore if everyone stuffs up in their subjects e.g all the selective schools + top students suddenly crashed the final exam (bombed it) get only 50% and you got for example 80% then your uai is going to be at the top. Seriously just work hard at the fina l exam and you will notice that after all if u did do good then your UAI will be good. It doesn't matter if u come last at school because the sample is too small e.g even if u come last in James Ruse but excelled in the rankings of whole external state exam then you will benefit greatly your uai will still be high 99.55 average UAI of James ruse students.

The school is especially noted for its academic prowess and competitiveness, as well as the high percentage of its students entering universities. In recent years it has been the top-performing school in New South Wales in the Higher School Certificate, ranking first in number of merit list mentions for the past ten consecutive years [1] and having a median UAI of 99.55 among the 173 Year 12 students in 2004. [2]

""" and having a median UAI of 99.55 among the 173 Year 12 students in 2004.
INFO FROM WIKIPEDIA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ruse_Agricultural_High_School#The_James_Ruse_Award_Scheme
"""""
http://community.boredofstudies.org...-marks-moderating/13649/pic2.jpg?d=1157441724

good luck dont argue anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)