Explanation of HSC Marks (Moderating) (1 Viewer)

o0_jolie_0o

HSC
*pulls hair out* no matter how much anyone tries to explain I still don't get it... you can explain it in extreme detail and I'll still won't get it... Why do they have to use such a diffcult system -__-"" Just do the exam first and think about it later people... its all up to your hsc exam now.. complete the final step ;) Goodluck

Delija

HSC
modarated assessment

Hi guys
I was just wondering how my moderated assesment marks for eco and 2 unit maths are going to be affected because of my ranking.
Eco 69 assesment mark 6/9
Maths 66 10/28
Aiming for high 80s in eco and high 70s in maths (hsc). Persons ranked 1st are at around 85-90 for both maths and eco
Thnx

rsalts

hello...

i have a question....say if i'm ranked 46th in english out of 180, does that mean i can only get the 46th best mark? how is that fair if i achieve excellent results in the HSC and i get shunted to a crap mark....

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The idea behind that is that students should be awarded for consistently performing well throughout the year, rather than one really good performance at the end.

Mercedes-Benz

HSC
I think that, while initially it might seem unfair that if you do better in the final HSC examination than your internal assessment, that you are not correspondingly rewarded - the reality is that it is fair.

The Board of Studies appropriately recognise consistency of achievement rather than sporadic bursts of greatness. The premise behind the HSC courses are that ithey build to the final examinations, in which case it wouldn't make much sense to perform poorly during the year and decide to suddenly do some work for the HSC exam; and vice versa.

Instead, if you were really concerned about improving rankings, effort should have been applied more vigorously in internal assessments thus cancelling the need to "work substantially harder" for the external examinations. I believe that the concerns which have raised the eye-brows of some forum participants are symptomatic of a common misconception in schools that the final examinations are somehow worth more than the entire internal assessment. This, obviously, isn't the case. They are both equal in terms of marks as most are aware of; and hence must be treated with equal effort as such. Therein lies the logic behind the Board of Studies moderation methods.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Just a quick question, is the information in the first post by Rage Runner still relevant to current HSC system?

Thank You in advance :)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
What happens if your the only person in the class and:

Assessment: 80
Exam: 90

Will the assessment mark go up to 90? (coz im ranked 1 in both since I am the only one)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ari89 said:
What happens if your the only person in the class and:

Assessment: 80
Exam: 90

Will the assessment mark go up to 90? (coz im ranked 1 in both since I am the only one)
Yes it would. But it doesn't really go up... since the marks are unrelated.

fa1nt

HSC
OK...sorry guys but im so iffy bout all this info coz too many teachers have too many views....just wna ask. say for example my marks n ranks compared to the person comin firstt are the following...(this is what i am so far)

me 1st placed student
adv eng: 80% 8/20 92%
ext eng: 70% 3/3 75%
2umaths: 88% 1/50 (2nd place got 75%)
3umaths: 45% 2/6 49%
bio: 75% 10/50 90%
physics: 63% 2/10 73%
sor: 85% 5/80 90%

since my marks are low but rankin is ok in sum subjects..will it possible for me to achieve a decent uai (say ...80+) if i improved each mark by 10% u can see in sum subjects such as 2/3u maths n physics the teacher is harsh. will it greatly affect my final marks. i just wna get into uni den ill b happy. ive stil got the trials to go. but for now am i on the road. thanks heaps really appreciate it.

Shalimar

HSC
the most important thing it to do your best-the scaling is beyond your control!

Bl0nDi3

HSC
If im coming close 2 last with 60-70s... and lots of people are gettin 90-100s and i get 95+ in the external exam and beat a few people what kinda hsc mark would i be looking at???...my prob is that most of the people in my maths class have already finished the course in another country and they are like 19-21year olds so i gt big competition :(

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
ko0l said:
...... also when hsc markers mark hundreds of papers at a crappy school they expect the next student to be dumb and they get marked about 1- 3 marks lower. e.g i know some hsc markers have so much bias and opinion when arking exams. therefore it is not so good to be in a crappy school and coming first is useless ......
No, the HSC markers don't even know what school you go to, let alone who you are.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Thanks for an in depth answer, it should clear a lot of misconceptions students make that make them believe the process is unfair.

I feel that this is quite an interesting thing to know and if you have time to add more information on what you feel students should know please make a new thread and I'll sticky it for everyone to see.

AMorris

HSC
Why wouldnt they just moderate the marks by taking the mean and standard deviation of the internal school assessments and equalising this with the mean and the standard deviation of the external hsc assessments. This strikes me as the easiest and most obvious way of moderating marks.

In addition it would probably be fairer as well. Consider this example:

School HSC
A: 90 95
B: 85 75
C: 60 55

In this case the moderated school marks under RageRunner's system would be A - 95, B - 75, C - 55.

Now if B only got 65 in his school assessments (a sizeable difference), he would still get the same moderated marks (75). This hardly seems equitable or fair.

Now if they moderated the marks by means and standard deviations, the first set of school marks (A:90, B:85, C:60) school marks would become:

A: 89.5
B: 83.3
C: 52.1

This means that now the mean and the standard deviations are equal.

However if B only got 65 in his school assessments, the results would now be:

A: 97.9
B: 66.7
C: 60.5

Now these scores, IMO, more accurately reflect the higher difficulty of the school assessments along with the worse performance of B. So is this the system that is used by the BoS or is it the simpler 'rank and match' system?

helper

HSC
N/A
It is a bit more complicated than mean and SD but it isn't just a match system. The match system is the easiest way of describing it. The mean and SD method is used other times

Go back and and have a look at the original PDF referenced.

Or as the BOS generally says they use statistical moderation and then

To ensure comparability of assessment marks from each school, assessment marks are moderated to match the performance of each school group on the common external examination using the raw examination marks obtained by the group.

The moderation process first sets the mean of a school’s assessment marks in a course equal to the mean examination mark of those students. The top assessment is set equal to the top examination mark and, where possible, the lowest assessment is set equal to the lowest examination mark for that school group.

HSC
so whatever mark anyone gets for their school assesments can go up if they go better in the hsc exam ?

SoulKeeper

HSC
<TABLE class=tborder id=post2514209 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_2514209>Hi, umm im kind of confused wit this moderating, let just say in simple terms e.g

Business (out of 20 peeps)
School Ases.. External Moderated..?
1st 78% 80%
2nd74% 72%
3rd 68% 68%
4th 59% 73%
5th 52% 60%
last 35% 82%

Now tell me what the hell happenz, i Mean how they moderate all thiz.. like the last did crap for his school assesments but he Has a major improvement in External and actually beats the guys who came first in his assesments... can anyone explan what will be the moderated and estimated rank out of this.. example i gave.. every detail plzz like, last person able to be getting a uai mark of at least 65? or what eva i duno im confused.

Subject Me(school asses).. 1st person 2nd
Business studies 6/31 67% 86% 75%
Economics 4/18 71% 83% 76%
Maths 2unit 7/13 48% 92% 68%
Accounting let just say 75 external i done it but havent got result.
English Advance 22/45 67% 81% 75%
lolz i know its shit, but i didnt do much studying, this just example even a guess u can say if get all around 75 - 80 is it possible for over 70 uai?even with my crap school asses.. and plus school is shit too lolz...
thankz plz reply sumone<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

halloween98

HSC
k i'm FRIKEN confused, someone has told me that whatever u get in ur HSC EXAM mark is the only thing that goes towards to ur UAI mark. Is this true?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)