Explanation of HSC Marks (Moderating) (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
independantz said:
I meant internally he killed everyone by like 10+ marks e.g 90,80,78,76... are the top 4 ranks marks but in the externalthe marks are: 95,94,93,92 does that mean the assessment marks of the other 3 will be dropped by a lot of marks?

The top student will get 95 as their exam and moderated assessment mark.

What the gap would be between 1st and 2nd will also be determined by the full range of marks for the group. Without knowing the full range of marks for the entire class and how many marks the group earnt it isn't possible to really say.

If the entire class was these four students then the range of marks for the assessment is limited to 95 - 92 as set by the exam so the gaps will then have to reflect that limited range.

If say there are 25 students and the range is 55 - 95 with a total of 1900 then yes, the gap between 1st and 2nd will be somewhat lower than their exam mark to ensure that the true gap between the work of the top student and the rest of the class is maintained.

le-foot

HSC
Hmm

One thing:

If you have somewhat terribly internal ranks, and blitz the HSC, how do you end up with a good mark/rank?

I know someone who got 94.5 UAI and he had terrible internal ranking

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
le-foot said:
Hmm

One thing:

If you have somewhat terribly internal ranks, and blitz the HSC, how do you end up with a good mark/rank?

I know someone who got 94.5 UAI and he had terrible internal ranking

You actually answered your own question - he blitzed the actual exam and as he kept that mark it helped big time.

As well as that the rest of his class must have done pretty well to bring up his moderated assessment mark.

Gintoki

HSC
Not that this matters so much to me (as I'm HSC 09), but what would happen in this situation?

Internal Rank: 2nd (For this example, 1st is 96% and your 2nd is 95%)
HSC Mark: You go 1st with 92%, and 2nd is say... 70% (unlikely, but still)

Would your internal mark go to 70%?

le-foot

HSC
cem said:
You actually answered your own question - he blitzed the actual exam and as he kept that mark it helped big time.

As well as that the rest of his class must have done pretty well to bring up his moderated assessment mark.
Yeah... that's the thing

I'm pretty sure he was ranked pretty bad in a few so in other words he underperformed during the year, therefore there will be people who got bad marks, and this means he would've gotten pretty terrible moderated assessment marks

le-foot

HSC
Gintoki said:
Not that this matters so much to me (as I'm HSC 09), but what would happen in this situation?

Internal Rank: 2nd (For this example, 1st is 96% and your 2nd is 95%)
HSC Mark: You go 1st with 92%, and 2nd is say... 70% (unlikely, but still)

Would your internal mark go to 70%?
I'd like to know, too

iEdd

HSC
Clearly no one can read anymore.

Relative differences. While that person's HSC mark is raped, the other person's internal mark will not be that bad as relative differences are taken into account.

HSC
cem said:
The top student will get 95 as their exam and moderated assessment mark.

What the gap would be between 1st and 2nd will also be determined by the full range of marks for the group. Without knowing the full range of marks for the entire class and how many marks the group earnt it isn't possible to really say.

If the entire class was these four students then the range of marks for the assessment is limited to 95 - 92 as set by the exam so the gaps will then have to reflect that limited range.

If say there are 25 students and the range is 55 - 95 with a total of 1900 then yes, the gap between 1st and 2nd will be somewhat lower than their exam mark to ensure that the true gap between the work of the top student and the rest of the class is maintained.

is the hsc just year 12 work?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
is the hsc just year 12 work?

In most subject yes but I think that part of the Maths courses can examine earlier stuff.

jooL

HSC
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Ragerunner
The School Assessment marks were originally much harsher (lower) for students in School B than School A, but the performance in the Exam suggests that both groups are similar in ability. While School A's School Assessment average was slightly higher than expected given their exam performance, School B's School Assessment average was much lower than expected (it was 47.3, rather than 79.3). Therefore moderation for School A brought the assessment marks downward slightly, while moderation for School B brought the assessment marks upwards a large amount. The end result is School A and School B students receiving consistent HSC marks.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
then what happens if only one student in School B gets the external exam mark as high as those of School A students where other students of School B get significantly lower marks than School A? does that one student who's good get affected because other students' marks are lower? or doesn't because his/her result is as high as that of students in School A regardless of other students with lower marks in his/her school?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
jooL said:
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Ragerunner
The School Assessment marks were originally much harsher (lower) for students in School B than School A, but the performance in the Exam suggests that both groups are similar in ability. While School A's School Assessment average was slightly higher than expected given their exam performance, School B's School Assessment average was much lower than expected (it was 47.3, rather than 79.3). Therefore moderation for School A brought the assessment marks downward slightly, while moderation for School B brought the assessment marks upwards a large amount. The end result is School A and School B students receiving consistent HSC marks.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
then what happens if only one student in School B gets the external exam mark as high as those of School A students where other students of School B get significantly lower marks than School A? does that one student who's good get affected because other students' marks are lower? or doesn't because his/her result is as high as that of students in School A regardless of other students with lower marks in his/her school?

The Student from School B who did signigicantly better than his/her peers will keep his/her own exam mark. If they also came first in the internals then they will get that same mark as their internal mark.

If they came lower than first then their exam mark will be the internal mark for the first ranked internally. The BOS then uses the school applied gaps, ranks and the total available marks to award an internal mark. If the gap was say two marks then they would get about two or three marks less (remember gaps and available marks have to be considered as well as ranks).

The exam determines the top and bottom marks for the class. It also determines the total marks available to be awarded for the internal marks as they need to be the same (or very close e.g. this year my class had one mark different between exam and assessment total marks but final HSC marks was the same as the exam).

jooL

HSC
cem said:
The Student from School B who did signigicantly better than his/her peers will keep his/her own exam mark. If they also came first in the internals then they will get that same mark as their internal mark.

If they came lower than first then their exam mark will be the internal mark for the first ranked internally. The BOS then uses the school applied gaps, ranks and the total available marks to award an internal mark. If the gap was say two marks then they would get about two or three marks less (remember gaps and available marks have to be considered as well as ranks).

The exam determines the top and bottom marks for the class. It also determines the total marks available to be awarded for the internal marks as they need to be the same (or very close e.g. this year my class had one mark different between exam and assessment total marks but final HSC marks was the same as the exam).
so are you saying that if a student gets as high exam mark as other students in higher-ranking school AND also comes first in internal in his school, then he's uai will be as high as students in higher-ranking school?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
jooL said:
so are you saying that if a student gets as high exam mark as other students in higher-ranking school AND also comes first in internal in his school, then he's uai will be as high as students in higher-ranking school?

Yes - the ranking of the school is not important as the ranks for schools changes each year based on the results of the cohort from that school.

A top ranked student at the Back of Black Stump High who topped all his/her subjects and then got the same marks as the top students at James Ruse High in those subjects would get the same UAI as the top students at James Ruse.

Remember that the rankings of schools is done AFTER the results are finalised and don't contribute to those results other then in the sense that higher ranked schools already have higher ranked students.

If Back of Black Stump High, for instance was ranked at 600 in 2007 and then had a cohort where every student got over 90 in the HSC exam for every subject then its ranking would jump massively into the top 10. But just as easily if the 2009 cohort were of a similar standard to that of 2007 the ranking of the school would drop. The 2007 ranking wouldn't impact the results of the 2008 cohort any more than the really good ranking would impact the results of the 2009 cohort. (I am assuming that the 2008 cohort was an aberation to the normal type of student who attends Back of Black Stump High).

~Theta~

HSC
Are aligned hsc exam marks generally higher than raw hsc exam marks?

dp624

HSC
~Theta~ said:
yeah, in general i find that they are

MathsTutorz

HSC
N/A
~Theta~ said:
Yes, it has been generally accepted by many evidences gathered from this website & from my own experience that aligned marks are higher than raw HSC exam marks.

iEdd

HSC
Uh lol, they are heaps higher for MX2. It aligns up nicely. Namu is right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)