Ext History Project 2012 (1 Viewer)

mondug

HSC
Hi there everyone!
I'm brand new to the site, and to ext History, and was wondering if I could get some advice.
from the recommendation of my teacher, I have decided to take ext history three weeks into the year 12 course, and I'm already worried about it!
I was wondering if I could get some advice on the History Project and some good ideas. I went to Auschwitz last year on a family holiday, and am fascinated by the holocaust but was wondering if it had already been done to death? maybe something based around Himmler?
Let me know what you think, and thanks for your help in advance!
Cheers, Mon.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hi there everyone!
I'm brand new to the site, and to ext History, and was wondering if I could get some advice.
from the recommendation of my teacher, I have decided to take ext history three weeks into the year 12 course, and I'm already worried about it!
I was wondering if I could get some advice on the History Project and some good ideas. I went to Auschwitz last year on a family holiday, and am fascinated by the holocaust but was wondering if it had already been done to death? maybe something based around Himmler?
Let me know what you think, and thanks for your help in advance!
Cheers, Mon.
The Holocaust is on the HSC syllaubus and so you can't do that topic directly (can't do anything that significantly overlaps any examinable syllabus - not just a topic your school is studying but any HSC syllabus). Many kids to Holocaust denial. I think it is probably done to death but as it is internally marked it will be up to your teacher to approve the topic and then mark it.

mondug

HSC
The Holocaust is on the HSC syllaubus and so you can't do that topic directly (can't do anything that significantly overlaps any examinable syllabus - not just a topic your school is studying but any HSC syllabus). Many kids to Holocaust denial. I think it is probably done to death but as it is internally marked it will be up to your teacher to approve the topic and then mark it.
I thought that might be the case...if I were to do something centred around Himmler and his contribution to the Holocaust would that be a little more unique?
or should I steer completely away, and maybe do the razor gangs in Sydney?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I thought that might be the case...if I were to do something centred around Himmler and his contribution to the Holocaust would that be a little more unique?
or should I steer completely away, and maybe do the razor gangs in Sydney?

If you were to concentrate on Himmler and other Nazis involved rather than the actual event itself you should be ok - even considering why so many Germans were prepared to go along with the actions.

mondug

HSC
If you were to concentrate on Himmler and other Nazis involved rather than the actual event itself you should be ok - even considering why so many Germans were prepared to go along with the actions.
So I've decided to do the genocide of Australian Aboriginals during the colonisation of Australia...what do you think?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So I've decided to do the genocide of Australian Aboriginals during the colonisation of Australia...what do you think?
Very controversial and so should get some good historiography.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
That sounds like a brilliant topic, should be fun to find some Historiography there. You'll be looking in the Histoy Wars in Australia, which would contain a generous wealth of debates there - that's for sure! Goodluck with your topic! n_n

lpower3

HSC
Have a pretty big interest in communism so i was thinking of doing the Russia Revolution. Anyone on here done it? Is there much historiography?

mondug

HSC
Have a pretty big interest in communism so i was thinking of doing the Russia Revolution. Anyone on here done it? Is there much historiography?
I know that a lot of schools already do the Russian Revolution as their core study in Modern History, so you might want to check out if your project overlaps with it. Try typing in "Russian Revolution Historiography" in google books, databases and library catalogues.
goodluck!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The Core in Modern History is World War One.

The Russian Revolution is in the Year 11 syllabus - so long as you don't really go past 1918 into the establishment of the Bolshevik state (that is on the HSC course).

You should be able to find quite a bit of hisotriography on this topic - even just looking at the list of references at the bottom of the wikipedia article would give you a place to start - the one thing about wikipedia that is excellent is the list of references.

When you say Russian Revolution which one - 1905, February/March 1917 or October/November 1917 - or all three?

mondug

HSC
The Core in Modern History is World War One.

The Russian Revolution is in the Year 11 syllabus - so long as you don't really go past 1918 into the establishment of the Bolshevik state (that is on the HSC course).

You should be able to find quite a bit of hisotriography on this topic - even just looking at the list of references at the bottom of the wikipedia article would give you a place to start - the one thing about wikipedia that is excellent is the list of references.

When you say Russian Revolution which one - 1905, February/March 1917 or October/November 1917 - or all three?
I thought it couldn't link up with ANY of the syllabus, no matter what year....and it doesn't matter if your school studies it or not, it can't overlap at all. and I know our school is studying the Russian Revolution for our study of a country....

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
For the love of God do something with lots and lots of historiography around it! I dropped Ext History when I realised I was doing a topic with very little information on it. When you're doing a proposal try to have a very clear question in mind, I had trouble coming with this.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I thought it couldn't link up with ANY of the syllabus, no matter what year....and it doesn't matter if your school studies it or not, it can't overlap at all. and I know our school is studying the Russian Revolution for our study of a country....

You can't study anything that significanly overlaps any examinable syllabus for the SC (which won't matter next year as there is no exam) or HSC. You can do something that relates to the Prelminary Course.

The Revolution itself isn't examinable in Year 12. That course starts with the Bolshevik Consolidation of Power so the revolution is completely fine for an Extension Project.

zxreth

HSC
How about doing something like whether shakespeare was really the author of his work? Idk maybe its just me, but i regret not doing that for my project especially with the new movie out now. But you could give it a go!

evanstroeve

Premium Member
HSC
For those struggling to come up with ideas, head over to the Historum forums. Lots of different threads about lots of different things, something may catch your eye!

aransandrasegar

HSC
Can someone tell me if I would be penalised for doing mussolini, because of the similarities with modern history

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Can someone tell me if I would be penalised for doing mussolini, because of the similarities with modern history

Mussolini is half a dot point - and not that big a one at that so no problem. You wouldn't get a specific question on the Modern History paper on Mussolini and there is so much more to Mussolini than his role as a dictator in the lead up to WWII or his role during the war (and the war with Italy is only really relevant to the North African campaign and again Mussolini isn't that big a figure in that campaign).

aransandrasegar

HSC
So I need advice, because my teacher is actually an archaeologoist and advices me to do the decline of khmer empire, but problem is their is some good historiography, but not the same depth. Should I follow his advice.
The other topics:
- unification of italy and mussolini.
What do you think I should do?

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So I need advice, because my teacher is actually an archaeologoist and advices me to do the decline of khmer empire, but problem is their is some good historiography, but not the same depth. Should I follow his advice.
The other topics:
- unification of italy and mussolini.
What do you think I should do?
Your teacher will be the one marking it so their suggestion is a good one.

Italian Unification is also interesting.

Mussolini is also fine.

I wouldn't try to link Italian Unification with Mussolini due to the sheer size of that topic and the word limit as you would have to cover a period of over 80 years (unification in 1861 and Mussolini coming to power 61 years later for 23 years).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)