Ext. Response Q. What the hell does it mean? (1 Viewer)

munkaii

HSC
Heres the question:

-Chemists have developed models to explain their observations of the world around them. Some of the most useful of these include models of ionic lattices, covalent molecules and covalent and metallic lattices. Discuss the limitations of each of these models.

What are they referring to by 'limitations'. My teacher is beyond stupid to explain this for me so i'm asking for the help of all forum members!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Try your textbook, but IMHO, that's like asking "what are the limitations of the electron-cloud model of the atom".

I mean, if there were limitations, then we probably wouldn't be using those models. I think perhaps they mean "discuss the difference between each of these models" or something.

HSC
their may be somecompound too complex too construct (this is a guess here)-

LaurenB

HSC
I think what they mean (well this is what my teacher said last year) is that you need to discuss how the model can be misconstrued, i.e. it may not be to exact proportions, the colours are wrong, (particularly for those atom model kits) the bonding isn't completely realistic or in proportion, they cannot express the hwole idea of the structure i.e include protons, neutrons electrons. Hope that is helpful

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
what LaurenB said was pretty helpful :)

basically what scientists constructed may totally be wrong. the models can only give an IDEA of what the structures look like. for all we know they can be totally off track.

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
also the models are not representative of the elctron cloud, where the electrons are constantly moving and stuff, not stationary bonds.

munkaii

HSC
Cheers for the tips guys

I got a scaffold for this question..and it goes into more detail

ie Electron Clouds being general across most sorts of bonds

it asks for limintations of models for ionic lattices..covalent..etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)