• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Extension courses for year 12? And what are you dropping? (1 Viewer)

afta???

HSC
zergcave said:
you are implying that gurls are somewhat superior to boys (boys other than myself)...
parhaps they are? is there evidence?
no i did not say so.....
it is personal opinions let me clarify
i believe guys are naturally smarter but girls r naturally or generally more hard working but it can vary between individuals.....
it is harder for boys to pick it up again if they slack off

classics_chic

HSC
I did 4 extension units (4 English, Extension and Ancient History, Extension German) and the workload was nuts.

I wouldn't recommend doing 4u English and Extension History unless you really love writing. I wouldn't recommend doing 4u English and 4u Maths together.

I wouldn't recommend doing more than 3 Extension units, the workload per unit is crazy!

I went from: Ext 1 English, Ancient History, Religion I, Chemistry, Music 2 and German Continuers to: Ext 2 English, Ancient and Extension History, Religion I and German Extension.

Don't drop Ancient! It's so much fun!

Best of luck! :)

afta???

HSC
do u reckon ancient persia is fun??? my entire class doesnt ( but i think itz more to do with this one year substitute) .... i think itz alright though......

dont try to deter me from 4u maths....i luv maths ...
as for history ext...i hav to say i prefer an in class essay over a test....not that im particularly good at essay writing (85% for my last ancient essay ...... i should do smth about essay writing improvement)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
cherryblossom said:
Integration, I meant integration! Anti-differentiation. *bangs head on wall*
Have you done Ext 2? In Ext 1 remember in the integration topic - the proofs of the volumes of a sphere/cone etc. Apparently only Ext 2-ers get to learn how to find the area of a circle using calculus.
It's not hard. Think about it a bit: a circle is actually two semicircles of equation: y=(r<sup>2</sup>-x<sup>2</sup>)<sup>1/2</sup> and y=-(r<sup>2</sup>-x<sup>2</sup>)<sup>1/2</sup>.

Although in terms of the calculus involved, that's a bit annoying. If you're interested, I've attached an example for a circle of radius 5 and, not that it matters, centre (0,0).

If you want to check the validty of my solution: pi*r^2. 25pi.

zergcave

HSC
4 unit maths is a gift. incredibly easy in comparison to its counterpart - 4 unit english.
merely scoring 30% will scale you up to 80 marks.

my friend did only 50% of the 4 unit paper and resulted in getting 95 for maths in hsc.

the 4unit maths exam is realli only a 6 question exam. question 7 and 8 are ridiculously impossible. the candidature averages 0 for those questions.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
zergcave said:
likewise with history - cram shit into ur brain and write the essay. no complicated thinking needed
I'm not surprised that you don't do history, given your ignorant comment.

afta???

HSC
zergcave is gettin bias ... another coroneos

i do history n other than memorising u need to understand otherwise ur essay wont flow

zergcave

HSC
apologies to all history students for my bias:)

But my conception of history is based largely on my part during year 10 - in which i got 95%, and band 6 in SC.
as i said, no complicated thinking. i simply spent time reading the textbook over, and regurgitated entire essays come exam time. however the memorising was so fking stressful....and annoying........so many things to remeber - such as numerous dates > why?. the "pointlessness'' (apparently some may argue against me on that) and idea of regurgitation did not appeal to me one bit when i chose my hsc subjects. some teacher even tried to convince (trick) me into choose ancient becoz it scales HIGHLY....HA!! its actually scaled down.

zergcave

HSC
i dont have anything against history students in particular....
but i believe history revolves more around the memory part than the high thinking part.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Considering your conception of history consists of Yr 10 SC stuff, it wasn't offensive. I'm not that precious about the subject in particular, it just irks me when people pass judgement without knowing the true nature of the subject. Rather than depending on the stereotypical view of a particular subject, it might be more beneficial to delve deeper and explore the subject. Of course, if it's too much effort, than not saying anything at all might be better. In a nutshell, I can tell what history isn't. It isnt about regurgitation and a bunch of dates.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
well.. i dont do history now.. but year 10 history i believe was mainly just memory...
remembering a bunch of stuff.

i feel pretty sad i didnt choose history.. i got like.. 96 for the sc.. and i was so good at it.. yet i found it sort of boring..

im so dumb.. -_-"

afta???

HSC
yr 10 history is soooooo boring
i am in the top ten in school but then sc i got 89!!!!!
1 mark off all 90s
dman them

zergcave

HSC
ahuh im pretty glad i didnt choose history. i dont think all that stress and the enormous bundle of sheets (in year 10) was worth it. the time would have been better spent more efficiently on other subjects. i could have got multiple band 6's for the other tests at the expense of my b6 in history.

afta???

HSC
zergcave said:
ahuh im pretty glad i didnt choose history. i dont think all that stress and the enormous bundle of sheets (in year 10) was worth it. the time would have been better spent more efficiently on other subjects. i could have got multiple band 6's for the other tests at the expense of my b6 in history.
history in general is cool aust history is shit...
mr carr wise decision to change the stage 5 course bcoz otherwise i fear a strike by the students

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
how has he changed it?

i think it's important to learn australian history - maybe not *only* australian history for 2 whole years, though.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Ok..i must be the only person that didnt mind Australian history :eek: although i had the funniest teacher...

I'm dropping bio, its sooo boring and picking up ext2 english

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
zergcave said:
i dont have anything against history students in particular....
but i believe history revolves more around the memory part than the high thinking part.
it depends how it is taught. in history at our school we focus on high order thinking. we are not just given a textbook or told 2 write down notes, we get cases and think of answers and possibilites, we have to work

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
glycerine said:
how has he changed it?

i think it's important to learn australian history - maybe not *only* australian history for 2 whole years, though.
duh he made oz history compulsory 4 9 and 10. the whole civics and citenship thing *it* *is* *annoying* *when* *people* *doo* *this* *erin* *lol*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)