Extracurricular Activities (1 Viewer)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Also what other examples of "big projects" as you mentioned earlier are there?
Like just something that was notable like for example something you presented to a big crowd, travelled somewhere to present or like spent a term on it (shows like presentation skills and time management skills)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey just wondering, what temple and programs did you volunteer for? I'm Hindu myself so I was looking for volunteering work :)
I'm not hindu, (Sikh) but there were just stuff like peer mentoring, helping out with like open days or functions there. I think though it will vary per place so best to ask someone who works in the temple

hrithikroshan

HSC
Thanks Jazz I'll contact someone at my local temple

Haha yeah I do really like the actor :p

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I personally didn't really do any extracurricular activities in senior years because I wanted to focus on my studies. I would say extracurricular activities are not super important unless you are aiming to apply for a scholarship in uni or even during high school. But remember to not take on too much-because we are not invincible human beings :)

boredofstudies61

HSC
Peer Support was basically Year 10 students leading groups of Year 7 students transition into their first term of high school, I had about 9 kids, 8 were good except that one kid who kept corrupting everyone else and in the end I had to bribe them with chocolate.... I swear some of them are evil..... I also did outside volunteering too, I participate in my local council's volunteer events eg Relay for Life and Moon Festival and I also participate in my own school club called the Sprouts where we focus on environmentally friendly fundraisers. These sorts of events are really good for learning new skills and making connections, inside and outside of school, I've made a lotta university friends just from these events. In my opinion, if you don't have work experience, at least get volunteer experience, I'm sure it'll help you...somehow... (still not really sure about how volunteering is gonna help me get a job lol)
Yeah I volunteer w/ teaching outside of school so I've also had to deal with those kids that just aren't the most well behaved. Also thank you for answering aha.

boredofstudies61

HSC
I personally didn't really do any extracurricular activities in senior years because I wanted to focus on my studies. I would say extracurricular activities are not super important unless you are aiming to apply for a scholarship in uni or even during high school. But remember to not take on too much-because we are not invincible human beings :)
Did you do anything during junior years?

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Wish my school had something like a group that organises charity events.. btw good luck with your HSC!
Damn that's a shame that your school doesn't have that. You could probably suggest it to your teachers, I'm sure they'd make a similar group

Thank you!! :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Did you do anything during junior years?
I did public speaking in my junior years, represented my school in various competitions, did Premier Volunteering Challenge, public speaking I really enjoy because it helped me to be a lot more confident with how I express myself and present myself.

boredofstudies61

HSC
I did public speaking in my junior years, represented my school in various competitions, did Premier Volunteering Challenge, public speaking I really enjoy because it helped me to be a lot more confident with how I express myself and present myself.
Sorry I'm asking so many q's, but did you get nominated to get the Premier Volunteering Challenge award by your school?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry I'm asking so many q's, but did you get nominated to get the Premier Volunteering Challenge award by your school?
It wasn't really hard, I did the required number of hours for silver and got the award, I think it was around 40 hours (Knitted beanies for a refuge). I also did the Premier's Reading Challenge, but that was when I was in year 7. Also participated in the Chinese Estifeord (can't remember the exact spelling) and came third in a category (basically public speaking but in Chinese). A lot of the stuff I did I no longer remember very well because it was very earlier on in my first years.

neobility

HSC
From a Y10 Student:
Public Speaking (1 year)
Debating (2 years)
Chess (4 years)
Social Justice Committee (1 year)
Table Tennis (4 years)
SRC (3 years) Proud to be Exec :))
Band (1 year) - Flute/Violin
Peer Support (1 year)
Study Mentor (1 year)

boredofstudies61

HSC
That's really good - definitely more than I've done aha. Like more than half the ones you mentioned aren't even a thing in my school

highshill

HSC
Our school doesn't offer much extracurricular activities as we a relatively a small school, they do try sometimes to bring them up
Once they offered public competitions against other schools and me and another girl only signed up in the whole entire high school ahaha, But we ended up coming last :( and our school hasn't tried anything since then. :spzz:

boredofstudies61

HSC
Our school doesn't offer much extracurricular activities as we a relatively a small school, they do try sometimes to bring them up
Once they offered public competitions against other schools and me and another girl only signed up in the whole entire high school ahaha, But we ended up coming last :( and our school hasn't tried anything since then. :spzz:
See we do have stuff like public speaking, debating, etc, but we don't have anything like table tennis, peer support and so on. My school isn't quite good either when it comes to doing well in extra curricular, but they still try ahah

highshill

HSC
See we do have stuff like public speaking, debating, etc, but we don't have anything like table tennis, peer support and so on. My school isn't quite good either when it comes to doing well in extra curricular, but they still try ahah
Finally! I met someone who understands my school dilemma! I know exactly how you feel. :awesome:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)