Extracurricular Topics (2 Viewers)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
This is a very detailed explanation, anomalousdecay, your explanation was certainly much more than 2 cents worth:)
Thanks!

I'm hoping that others come to understand the great scheme of things in terms of Chemistry.

With HSC Chemistry, you can apply all the knowledge to everyday situations.

Unfortunately, I can only say the same for half of the HSC Physics syllabus.

Erinaceous

HSC
Hey:D
Just wondering - do year 11s have to remember pretty much all the periodic table and their polyatomic thingies? My chemistry teacher was saying how year 10s were all baby chemists so he had to provide the periodic table or something xD;

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering - do year 11s have to remember pretty much all the periodic table and their polyatomic thingies? My chemistry teacher was saying how year 10s were all baby chemists so he had to provide the periodic table or something xD;
The Periodic Table will be provided in all exams, don't need to remember the periodic table but you need to understand how to use the information provided on the periodic table to answer certain questions. Don't stress too much:)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The Periodic Table will be provided in all exams, don't need to remember the periodic table but you need to understand how to use the information provided on the periodic table to answer certain questions. Don't stress too much:)
Yeah this.

Also, you may want to hang up a few detailed periodic tables which have the uses of the element around your room/house.

I did from Year 8 onwards and I remember random stuff here and there on different elements.

But generally, the info is quite useless for preliminary/HSC subjects :p

Its just the application of knowing the difference between metals/semi-metals/non-metals and the location of different properties on the periodic table, such as electronegativity, ionisation ability, etc.

Erinaceous

HSC
LOL from all the responses I get from bored of studies, I have a feeling all my teachers were exaggerating the difficulties of year 11 >.< e.g art and now chem xD;

Thank you to everyone for answering moi questions<3

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL from all the responses I get from bored of studies, I have a feeling all my teachers were exaggerating the difficulties of year 11 >.< e.g art and now chem xD;

Thank you to everyone for answering moi questions<3
Teachers often exaggerate things to make sure you are studying hard and get the best results for your own sake. It is a similar principle when sometimes teachers refuse to say what things are not examined in the exam because they want you to study hard for everything you have learnt so far:) Best wishes for the next two years-you will be more than fine:)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The periodic table they give you is quite simplistic and honestly, more than enough information for HSC. You don't need yo remember anything on it except how to use it and what the values and letters mean etc. It becomes quite intuitive - sooner than you think.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The periodic table they give you is quite simplistic and honestly, more than enough information for HSC. You don't need yo remember anything on it except how to use it and what the values and letters mean etc. It becomes quite intuitive - sooner than you think.
Yeah this.

Basically a large portion (around half) of the preliminary course is based upon teaching you what the periodic table and its elements are and how it is organised for specific meanings.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah this.

Basically a large portion (around half) of the preliminary course is based upon teaching you what the periodic table and its elements are and how it is organised for specific meanings.
They also teach you some trends in the periodic table as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)