Extrovert= marketing/HRM Introverts= finance/accounting (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Not necessarily. I've met my fair share of both across the board.

In my experience, English based people are more often found in Marketing and Numbers based people more often in Accounting. Which makes sense as people are more likely to enter fields that match their skills. But this doesn't necessarily correspond to intro/extroversion

enoilgam

HSC
Not necessarily. I've met my fair share of both across the board.

In my experience, English based people are more often found in Marketing and Numbers based people more often in Accounting. Which makes sense as people are more likely to enter fields that match their skills. But this doesn't necessarily correspond to intro/extroversion
This is pretty much what I have noticed.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
would a highly introvert person like me be suitable in Accounting? would most of the work just be done alone or does it require any team work? i'm okay with talking one on one but i have trouble speaking in a larger group.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
would a highly introvert person like me be suitable in Accounting? would most of the work just be done alone or does it require any team work? i'm okay with talking one on one but i have trouble speaking in a larger group.
Everything requires team work. You'd probably be fine though.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, I can't see you succeeding in any field in commerce without being able to work as a team.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
To be honest, I can't see you succeeding in any field in commerce without being able to work as a team.
I doubt their aversion to teamwork is at any debilitating level

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt their aversion to teamwork is at any debilitating level
I hope so but I have spotted users on BoS which have lead me to believe that they honestly struggle in such situations.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I hope so but I have spotted users on BoS which have lead me to believe that they honestly struggle in such situations.
As someone who is very involved in recruitment for a large accounting firm, I'd have to say teamwork is pretty pivotal to landing a job not just with us but in any of the majors.

is a roflcopter
HSC
hey man, since you are doing recruiting, can you cut the part of the group interview stage where the group is given a problem and they need to solve it together.
I hated that sht:

1. everyone is faking the nice person act "oh no, lets hear your opinion, oh i agree with her point of view but.."
2. the most talkative people are usually the dumbest
3. if you shut them down, you look like the bad guy

Tried it at both E&Y and PWC back in the days. (2006?)
E&Y i slammed this noob hard - didnt get the offer. PWC pretended to be nice and cooperative, got the offer.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
hey man, since you are doing recruiting, can you cut the part of the group interview stage where the group is given a problem and they need to solve it together.
I hated that sht:

1. everyone is faking the nice person act "oh no, lets hear your opinion, oh i agree with her point of view but.."
2. the most talkative people are usually the dumbest
3. if you shut them down, you look like the bad guy

Tried it at both E&Y and PWC back in the days. (2006?)
E&Y i slammed this noob hard - didnt get the offer. PWC pretended to be nice and cooperative, got the offer.
Whilst you work in an industry where you don't need to be collaborative and hence the group assessment is less relevant, for the professional services industry it is quite vital that people can work together. You raise valid points but at the end of the day it's how we work and hence it's quite an important part of the process. I think the observation that you didn't enjoy it means you really are in the right place now (i.e. in an industry where you don't need to work in that style).

is a roflcopter
HSC
two points:

1. i dont think what accountants do is any more collaborative than what i do. its clear theres a strict chain of command going down from partner to senior manager to juniors. if you mean juniors collaborating with each other, thats just illusory as well. you do whatever you are told to do and so does the other guy.

2. the whole group session at the interview is just fake so what you observe during that process there isnt really meaningful. most of the guys who do well just faking it to look like nice guys to get the offer. (ie me)

question for you - what would you do if you were in a situation where some obstinate dumfuck is just talking sht and wasting time. you try to nicely tell him to consider alternative approach but he doesnt get it (ie from UWS lol trolling). What would you do ? shut him down with a bodyslam or just let him dominate, knowing that your group will look retarded when you present infront of everyone.

if i was a partner, i want my guy to do what it takes for the best outcome, not what feels warm and fuzzy.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There's two very different things- how you manage the team locally/internally with respect of your own organisation's culture, and how you work with clients. On one hand you need to be upfront/honest/direct but on the other, there's no harm in having a bit of empathy with how you communicate.

I don't know how much collaborative work you do but for me it's vital. A team which can't work well together isn't going to get the job done. Whilst we have a hierarchy, we also encourage communication regardless of grade.

is a roflcopter
HSC
Ever tell a partner you think his wrong? big titanium balls
Ever had an intern tell you he thinks you are wrong? smackdown.

you are in a team and you work. thats not teamwork. shit flows one direction only. its just more efficient that way.

Dash8

HSC
Haha that video....I'm most probably an introvert and I'm going into the accounting field. I would really dislike to be in sales and marketing. Trying to sell stuff to people would bore the crap out of me

Syrrah

HSC
I'm an introvert yet I have a keen passion for marketing and HRM. I think its my cynical nature and the fact that I want to sell stuff to people that they don't really need.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm an introvert yet I have a keen passion for marketing and HRM. I think its my cynical nature and the fact that I want to sell stuff to people that they don't really need.
That's not really the goal of marketing.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Ever tell a partner you think his wrong? big titanium balls
Ever had an intern tell you he thinks you are wrong? smackdown.

you are in a team and you work. thats not teamwork. shit flows one direction only. its just more efficient that way.
Appreciate your views on the topic but you're still basing this on what you *think* happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)