Failing so hard, should i repeat or continue since trials are still left? (1 Viewer)

jackfrost

HSC
Okay, so i know if you don't get a decent atar, theres still tafe or transferring from a course to another.
I would not like to do that but repeat, another year of year 12. Yes, it's a waste of time, but I want to.

Okay, so my ranks are REALLY bad, not lying.
For Ancient history, I'm just scoring in the low band 5s.
In Adv. English I'm getting high band 4s, and my teacher says I can make it into a band 5, if I give trails and one more assessment all I've got.

For Chemistry, I'm failing bad, coming like 4th from last, literally. My rank is only bad because i didn't bother for topic tests (thinking that they weren't counted as assessment marks), and I used those times to study for other assessments. Now I regret that because they affect ranking.
For biology, same goes for the topic tests situation. In my first assessment I received 80%, but in the second one I received around 45% as it was harsly marked, and the third one was 50%.

In Mathematics, i'm literally last in ranking. All my exams are 30-40%. Didn't bother for topic tests as well.

Now that I've realised I'm sinking in my boat, I AM TOO LATE.
I played around on the atar calculator and it says my maximum atar is 68.

Trust me when i say this, I am not dumb.
Guys, I still have 30% of trials left and the HSC exams.
Is it possible for me to push for a 90s or above 85 atar as my desired course is to do with medical science OR IS IT TOO LATE.
I AM WILLING TO REPEAT, JUST BECAUSE I'VE REALISED I'VE FAILED SO FAR ON MY ROAD TO THE HSC.

AM I STILL ABLE TO GET 90S ATAR IF I HYPOTHETICALLY ACE THE TRAILS, like get band 6 in most exams?
Don't say, the hsc is hard and its impossible for me at this rate.
Just tell me, if I do GIVE IT MY 100% and ace, will i get 90s.

I'm surviving on 10 units
Please honest responses wanted.

My school is top 100 and around 250 students in my grade.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You don't want to repeat Year 12. You just think you do.

So, you should try harder.

And no, you're not going to get 90s in your subjects even if you do try hard enough - because your rankings simply won't allow it.

For an ATAR... I believe they also take into account school ranking as well, so I'd rule that out.

Being perfectly blunt with you. Even in a top 100 school, it doesn't guarantee you a great ATAR.

So your best bet is to get into uni, and transfer into what you want.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Looking at your ranks, you're probably on a... 65-70 or something.

I wouldn't bet on you getting 85.

jackfrost

HSC
But they will change.
I have faith in myself.
What happens then? Will I get a decent atar?

jackfrost

HSC
Providing your exact ranks in each subject would help.
Current ranks are bad, as I have stated...
But they're changing after the few assessments I've received back. Been getting 80% band 5's, but I've only received like two back.

enoilgam

HSC
Current ranks are bad, as I have stated...
But they're changing after the few assessments I've received back. Been getting 80% band 5's, but I've only received like two back.
No offence, but "bad" doesnt really mean anything because its subjective. We need specifics.

jackfrost

HSC
Bottom 10 for each subject out of 70ish students. :S

Last edited:

killerg0d

HSC
You don't want to repeat Year 12. You just think you do.

So, you should try harder.

So your best bet is to get into uni, and transfer into what you want.
Transfer is the best option, you seem to be doing better!
Keep it up maybe you can get that 85 if you completely dominate your trials + externals.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
So even if you were to repeat year 12, what would that mean for now? Would you drop out and go back to school in term 4?

I only ask because we can tell you exactly how you'll go. Why don't you go ahead, do your hsc, and see what your ATAR is. If it's lower than expected, you can repeat yr 12, or find a degree that fits your marks and work on transferring. It's good you're considering your options, but you don't need to make the decision now.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I think people consider repeating year 12 a better route than transferring at a later date because they do not fully understand how university works. I have a feeling that these people believe they would effectively be wasting a year at uni studying things they did not wish to study, this is not really the case.

jackfrost, you do realise that a degree is obtained through the attainment of credit points through the completion of various units, which may be taken by anyone, regardless of the degree they are enrolled in, so long as they meet the relevant requirements. What this means is that people in different degrees often take the same units, especially in first year.

If you decide to go for the transfer option, you simply pick units required for the degree you wish to transfer into, and then transfer the credit points attained from these units over when you do eventually transfer into your desired degree. You effectively end up doing the first year of your desired degree under a degree of a different name. No time wasted at all.

It is not worth repeating year 12, you will hate it. University is incredibly flexible, once you're in the system (regardless of what degree you start off in) you have so many options. Don't view transfers as a long, arduous waste of time, they are not.

HSC
Uni Grad
Just say you want to go and repeat Year 12, you can redo the subjects that you did utter shit in and KNOW you can do better after the HSC. That's one option.

enoilgam

HSC
I think people consider repeating year 12 a better route than transferring at a later date because they do not fully understand how university works. I have a feeling that these people believe they would effectively be wasting a year at uni studying things they did not wish to study, this is not really the case.

jackfrost, you do realise that a degree is obtained through the attainment of credit points through the completion of various units, which may be taken by anyone, regardless of the degree they are enrolled in, so long as they meet the relevant requirements. What this means is that people in different degrees often take the same units, especially in first year.

If you decide to go for the transfer option, you simply pick units required for the degree you wish to transfer into, and then transfer the credit points attained from these units over when you do eventually transfer into your desired degree. You effectively end up doing the first year of your desired degree under a degree of a different name. No time wasted at all.

It is not worth repeating year 12, you will hate it. University is incredibly flexible, once you're in the system (regardless of what degree you start off in) you have so many options. Don't view transfers as a long, arduous waste of time, they are not.
This sums it up pretty much. Repeating year 12 is an utter waste.

unibros1

HSC
mate, if you punish yourself in stuvac and put in 12 hours a day an atar of 85 is still possible. don't listen to the naysayers. people on here told me i would get 94, i got 98.5

jackfrost

HSC
mate, if you punish yourself in stuvac and put in 12 hours a day an atar of 85 is still possible. don't listen to the naysayers. people on here told me i would get 94, i got 98.5
Thats for this :]

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Not a super significant point, but unless you're at a private school, uni is going to be much more expensive than school, so doing a year of ~whatever~ before transferring might not be something you want to do. Yes you can put it on HECS and pay later, but it will still be several grand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)