failure rate for first yr engineers? (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
What are failure rates for engineering first year subjects like?
I reckon im gonna fail math1231 and mman1300 (mechanics). Do many people fail them? Or is it just me?
Also, chi mak and blennehasset both suck balls. One is extremely crap at teaching, and the other cant speak english if his life depended on it, which is why im gonna fail it.
Mechanics...i just suck at it...heaps.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
i suck at math too but hey I'm a go knock on every other lecturer/tutors door if i wanna pass the course. My degree only needs first year math. If I clear those away i get rid of one miserable segment of my degree

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Omie Jay said:
I reckon im gonna fail math1231 and mman1300 (mechanics). Do many people fail them? Or is it just me?
Also, chi mak and blennehasset both suck balls. One is extremely crap at teaching, and the other cant speak english if his life depended on it, which is why im gonna fail it.
I have chi mak for my tutorials. He is pretty bad, but he is THE BEST tutor i have had in MATHS at uni. Thats how bad my tutors have been.

I seriously advise you to go to The math lectures Wednesday 10-12 and Friday 12-2.

Ellis and the other guy are the best lecturers.

Im acing MATH1231 and its basically 90% because of them.

(Finding it much easier than 1131)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Omie Jay said:
Peter B, I had him for MATH1131 and since then when I enrolled for MATH1231 I made sure I'm not in his lectrues.
See Omium's post.

As for Mechanics well you should have done CVEN1300 Engineering Mechanics (Civil) it's much easier.
I understand how the average mark is 35% and life is made more difficult when you cannot apply equations of motion when a body is undergoing varying acceleration.

darkwolfzx said:
i suck at math too but hey I'm a go knock on every other lecturer/tutors door if i wanna pass the course. My degree only needs first year math. If I clear those away i get rid of one miserable segment of my degree
LOL I got two more next year. :(

Omium said:
I have chi mak for my tutorials. He is pretty bad, but he is THE BEST tutor i have had in MATHS at uni. Thats how bad my tutors have been.

I seriously advise you to go to The math lectures Wednesday 10-12 and Friday 12-2.

Ellis and the other guy are the best lecturers.

Im acing MATH1231 and its basically 90% because of them.

(Finding it much easier than 1131)
MATH1231 seems harder but yeah Ellis and the other guy are making it easier than it currently seems.
They're pretty cool.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Forbidden. said:
Peter B, I had him for MATH1131 and since then when I enrolled for MATH1231 I made sure I'm not in his lectrues.

They're pretty cool
Is there a way to see which lecturers are teaching each stream during enrolment?

Forbidden. said:
MATH1231 seems harder but yeah Ellis and the other guy are making it easier than it currently seems.
How cool did ellis look in shorts in friday. Never seen a lecturer look so casual :ninja:

Morbo

HSC
You have time to enrol into another lecture stream once they release the Information Booklet on Vista or you buy it with your Algebra and Calculus Notes but it's not like they mark the roll in lectures, just attend whichever you want.
I had Blennerhasset last semester too and he was one of the reasons I stopped attending lectures but the Algebra lecturer last semester (Pahor) was awesome so I just went to the Algebra lectures and not the Calculus lectures. I had decent tutors last semester, unlike this semester, one was a lecturer (Bose) so he knew his stuff and explained things well and the other was a lady in need of a straightener who abandoned us mid-semester to go to the U.S. but she posted her worked answers on the net so you didn't really need to go to tutorials. This semester, I've got a cranky bastard for Calculus who's more committed to leaving on time because "he's got a bus to catch" than getting us to understand what the hell he is doing and the other, has anybody seen that South Park episode where Cartmen fights with that midget in the playground? Picture that midget with a thick German (I can't pin point which exact country he's from) accent you can't understand.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Morbo said:
You have time to enrol into another lecture stream once they release the Information Booklet on Vista or you buy it with your Algebra and Calculus Notes but it's not like they mark the roll in lectures, just attend whichever you want.
I had Blennerhasset last semester too and he was one of the reasons I stopped attending lectures but the Algebra lecturer last semester (Pahor) was awesome so I just went to the Algebra lectures and not the Calculus lectures. I had decent tutors last semester, unlike this semester, one was a lecturer (Bose) so he knew his stuff and explained things well and the other was a lady in need of a straightener who abandoned us mid-semester to go to the U.S. but she posted her worked answers on the net so you didn't really need to go to tutorials. This semester, I've got a cranky bastard for Calculus who's more committed to leaving on time because "he's got a bus to catch" than getting us to understand what the hell he is doing and the other, has anybody seen that South Park episode where Cartmen fights with that midget in the playground? Picture that midget with a thick German (I can't pin point which exact country he's from) accent you can't understand.
If Blennerhasset reads this forum he'd be crying.....

I cant believe you got Bose as you tutor.... He was an awesome lecturer.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Omium said:
Is there a way to see which lecturers are teaching each stream during enrolment?

How cool did ellis look in shorts in friday. Never seen a lecturer look so casual :ninja:
timetable.unsw.edu.au

Yeah Ellis looked pretty cool in them shorts olol.

Omium said:
If Blennerhasset reads this forum he'd be crying.....

I cant believe you got Bose as you tutor.... He was an awesome lecturer.
He probably wouldn't care.
I forgot to mention he has that "I don't give much of a shit attitude" when explaining.
Look at his body language and his expression.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
omg so stressed, math1231 and mman1300 (maths 1b and mechanics) im badly failing, and i strongly reckon i'll fail both of em. fark ive been losing sleep over my inevitable impending failure...

What happens if i fail both of em? Math 1b is required in 3 of my courses for next year, which will be 2nd yr mechatron, and mechanics is required for 1 course i think.
So for math i reckon i'll have to do summer term, how about for mechanics? Need to repeat? I just enrol as usual into mechanics for next yr first semester?
Can i still enrol into the course that has mechanics as prerequisite, or is it absolutely necessary to have passed mechanics? And under what conditions can i recieve a 'pass conceded'?

Any older students failed before? Whats it like? Should i really be extremely worried and losing sleep over it as i am now?

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Omie Jay said:
omg so stressed, math1231 and mman1300 (maths 1b and mechanics) im badly failing, and i strongly reckon i'll fail both of em. fark ive been losing sleep over my inevitable impending failure...

What happens if i fail both of em? Math 1b is required in 3 of my courses for next year, which will be 2nd yr mechatron, and mechanics is required for 1 course i think.
So for math i reckon i'll have to do summer term, how about for mechanics? Need to repeat? I just enrol as usual into mechanics for next yr first semester?
Can i still enrol into the course that has mechanics as prerequisite, or is it absolutely necessary to have passed mechanics? And under what conditions can i recieve a 'pass conceded'?

Any older students failed before? Whats it like? Should i really be extremely worried and losing sleep over it as i am now?
Statics and Mechanics are the hardest subjects in the engineering Stream, well for the Civil/Mechanical stream from my knowledge.

Pace_T

HSC
my friend and i started engineering in 06 and we had heard that 20% of engineering students drop out within the first year. we were both like.. nahhhhh we'll kick ass in it

we dropped out soon after :p

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Pace_T said:
my friend and i started engineering in 06 and we had heard that 20% of engineering students drop out within the first year. we were both like.. nahhhhh we'll kick ass in it

we dropped out soon after :p
what are you guys doing now?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Omie Jay said:
What did i say eh?

Repeating mechanics in S1 '09, almost finished math1231 in summer sesh.

:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)