Fantasy novels (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
I'm interested in reading fantasy books, but i have no idea which are good and which arent, and i usually judge books by their covers, which is why im asking YOUR opinion.

So far i've read the Harry Potter series, Eragon series, Amulet of Samarkand (first book of a trilogy, do want to read the others), The Book of Lies.

Now.. HP and Eragon are my favourite series's of all, Eragon moreso (i like magic and dragons and bloody action/violence), so based on this, can u recommend me more good fantasy books to read?

DoomBuggy

HSC
The Nightrunner Series by Lynn Flewelling are good, the first book is Luck In The Shadows

If you haven't read any of Tolkien's work, you should get into that.

Dragons of Autumn Twilight is the first book in a series that i'm addicted to, it's by Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman

Damn - i have so many fantasy books but i don't want to list them all here because it would take too long!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you have the time, read Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series, best fantasy series I've ever read, and im still only half way through (theres 13 books, i think).

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
haha, already read deltora quest, years ago, wanna read again tho :eek:

edit: OMG we have a deltora quest drawing book, teaches u how to draw dragons and monsters, so awesome! i've made a few drawings, some dragons and some giant spider, lol

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Anyone heard of the "Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin? Every book in this series so far has been great (maybe because he takes like 4 years to write each one - grrr). They're quite long though; each one would be about as long as all three LOR books.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
If you have the time, read Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series, best fantasy series I've ever read, and im still only half way through (theres 13 books, i think).
The last book is being split up into 3 seperate novels as Robert Jordan died 2 or so years ago.

@ Omie, those are children's books....

Read anything by Sara Douglas or better yet;

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

lala2

Banned
HSC
The Shannara trilogy, and the Chronicles of Narnia. I'm really looking to dig into some of the others mentioned so far, thanks guys.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Omie, those are children's fantasy books.

Definately at least read Magician.
yes

stop there, it goes downhill from book 6 or so onwards- meandering, spiralling story. perfect example of jordan biting off more than he could chew.

The Nightrunner Series by Lynn Flewelling are good, the first book is Luck In The Shadows

If you haven't read any of Tolkien's work, you should get into that.

Dragons of Autumn Twilight is the first book in a series that i'm addicted to, it's by Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman

Damn - i have so many fantasy books but i don't want to list them all here because it would take too long!
lynn flewelling is quite good.
avoid anything by weis and hickman- its sword and sorcery fantasy at its epitome- complete with every cliche known to fantasy.

artemis fowl series is epic win
yeah, if you're 12.

lmfao deltora quest ftw
ditto, cept a few years younger.

Anyone heard of the "Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin? Every book in this series so far has been great (maybe because he takes like 4 years to write each one - grrr). They're quite long though; each one would be about as long as all three LOR books.
fan fucking tastic- words cannot describe how good this is

The last book is being split up into 3 seperate novels as Robert Jordan died 2 or so years ago.

@ Omie, those are children's books....

Read anything by Sara Douglas or better yet;

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
stop talking out of your ass, the final book of WOT (book 12) is being released as 1 book by Brandon Sanderson- so i'm expecting something decent because sanderson is a brilliant writer.

sara douglas is a very ordinary writer.

terry goodkind is complete trash- his works are full of cliches, zero characterisation, not to mention they're highly misogynistic plus preachy as fuck- goodkind spreads his philosophy liberally in the sword of truth.
not to mention goodkind's an absolute cretin- he refuses to label his books as fantasy.

Terry Pratchett is also good. Light, funny fantasy.
yes.

The Shannara trilogy, and the Chronicles of Narnia. I'm really looking to dig into some of the others mentioned so far, thanks guys.
shannara represents everything that is bad about fantasy- its written soon after LOTR's success and basically brooks tries to emulate everything that tolkien did- it is a blatant ripoff and basically was the forerunner of the hundreds of fantasy books today which are nothing but cheap lotr clones.

narnia is decent- more for a younger audience.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
stop talking out of your ass, the final book of WOT (book 12) is being released as 1 book by Brandon Sanderson- so i'm expecting something decent because sanderson is a brilliant writer.

sara douglas is a very ordinary writer.

terry goodkind is complete trash- his works are full of cliches, zero characterisation, not to mention they're highly misogynistic plus preachy as fuck- goodkind spreads his philosophy liberally in the sword of truth.
not to mention goodkind's an absolute cretin- he refuses to label his books as fantasy.
1) Skim this, Brandon Sanderson: Splitting AMOL
2) I've always loved Sara Douglas's work and even more so how she combines references from all her previous work into her latest series
3) Yes, I know the Sword of Truth can be misogynistic and somewhat act as a literary vehicle for Goodkind's little rape fantasies or whatever but I like objectivist philosophy and how to me, it gives his stories that little extra depth than just your typical 'sword + magic' fantasies.

Each to his own, I guess.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
my bad on point 1); haven't been keeping up with the news for a while now.

2) and 3) aren't really arguable points; you can say you enjoy their work, but its the same generic crap as a hundred other authors, and there are authors whose work is of far greater quality than either douglas or goodkind running around.

lala2

Banned
HSC
ok u borat, which authors would you recommend then and why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)