Fantasy novels (1 Viewer)

u-borat

Banned
HSC
ok u borat, which authors would you recommend then and why?
epic stuff:

aforementioned george martin
steven erikson's malazan tales
scott bakker's prince of nothing
robin hobb for how-to-characterise101, anything but her most recent soldier son trilogy which sucks
joe abercrombie's trilogy
patrick rothfuss- name of the wind

a bit different/speculative new weird type fiction
gene wolfe's book of the new sun
anything by china mieville
jeff vandermeer

go into classical stuff and
roger zelazny's amber books
the black company by glen cook
umm fritz leiber's mini-stories about fafrd and grey mouser

lots more but that should get you started.

Herremann

HSC
N/A
epic stuff:

aforementioned george martin
steven erikson's malazan tales
scott bakker's prince of nothing
robin hobb for how-to-characterise101, anything but her most recent soldier son trilogy which sucks
joe abercrombie's trilogy
patrick rothfuss- name of the wind

a bit different/speculative new weird type fiction
gene wolfe's book of the new sun
anything by china mieville
jeff vandermeer

go into classical stuff and
roger zelazny's amber books
the black company by glen cook
umm fritz leiber's mini-stories about fafrd and grey mouser

lots more but that should get you started.
Yeah, this is pretty much the spine of a serious fantasy reader's collection. About the only thing you're missing is Vance's Dying Earth series as well as his Lyonesse series (which in my opinion takes the cake of best in show tied with Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series and of course Tolkein's Lord of the Rings).

I didn't mind Hobb's Soldier trilogy - but it is behind the others. I just think she's fantastic.

Best Regards
Herremann

Taskan

HSC
i personally found Hobb's books a bit depressing, but thats just me.

i don't know if anyone else has heard of these, but i'd recommend "The Chronicles of Prydain" by Lloyd Alexander. i last read them when i was in about yr 9, but they were really good.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hmm yeah I read the Assassin trilogy and I didn't really like it (could also be I rushed through the three books in the 3 week loan period I had).

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Yeah, this is pretty much the spine of a serious fantasy reader's collection. About the only thing you're missing is Vance's Dying Earth series as well as his Lyonesse series (which in my opinion takes the cake of best in show tied with Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series and of course Tolkein's Lord of the Rings).

I didn't mind Hobb's Soldier trilogy - but it is behind the others. I just think she's fantastic.

Best Regards
Herremann
yay someone else who knows their stuff

yes of course vance is on the list somewhere- that was a rough list off the top of my head at 1am:spzz:

yes, hobb is kinda depressing, and rushing through her doesn't give the full emotional experience imo

Ice Goddess

HSC
Yea I agree with all u Eragon fans. The plot is waiiii better than Twilight (which is a fun read, lyk once but is sooo overated ). NO matter wat u do don't read Twilight if u r looking for fantasy, its just basically teen romance. But honestly listen to everyone else and read the Inheritance Cycle (tried Brisingr?).

And also avoid the LOrd of the Rings (the book is so boring, nothing like the movie)

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
shannara represents everything that is bad about fantasy- its written soon after LOTR's success and basically brooks tries to emulate everything that tolkien did- it is a blatant ripoff and basically was the forerunner of the hundreds of fantasy books today which are nothing but cheap lotr clones.

narnia is decent- more for a younger audience.
i found the Shannara series totally different to LOTR. Maybe the elves, dwarfs, etc, were similar but besides that it was different.

But i gotta say that i drowsed off at some points though.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Yea I agree with all u Eragon fans. The plot is waiiii better than Twilight (which is a fun read, lyk once but is sooo overated ). NO matter wat u do don't read Twilight if u r looking for fantasy, its just basically teen romance. But honestly listen to everyone else and read the Inheritance Cycle (tried Brisingr?).

And also avoid the LOrd of the Rings (the book is so boring, nothing like the movie)
but..but..edward makes my panties wet!!!!!

nah, twilight looks shit, if i want a vampire movie i'll go watch 30 days of night, best vampires imo, dunno about vampire book.

fuck brisingr was awesome, ending nearly made me cry :eek:

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC

Lol, what a twat. Considering you spelt "way" as "wai" (just to mention one grammatical error), which is not even any shorter than spelling it "way", I'm not inclined to listen to any of your advice.

Eragon is also a children's book.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
*sigh* there's always one

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn anyone?

It's written well...that's about the only praise i can offer it.
The storyline plods along and I never really empathised with the characters that much.

HSC

Lmao. You know that LOTRs was a book before it was a film, right?

As for good vampire novels, Interview with the Vampire and The Hunger are definitely up there.

Omar, 30 Days of Night was originally a comic.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
im aware of that, s*p, i might actually start getting into comics, im a massive fan of the Aliens and Predator universe...

HSC
im aware of that, s*p, i might actually start getting into comics, im a massive fan of the Aliens and Predator universe...
Go to Kinokuniya on George St. its across the road from the QVB.. they have an epic comic book section.

Took a comic book fan friend there recently... ended up being in there for about 2 hours and he bought the books he had chosen at the start lol. :mad1:

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC

My God you are stupid. LOTR is only boring if you've got the attention span of a rock and an IQ lower than your age.

I would say your high, but I've been told that only enhances the experience of reading LOTR. Will try sometime.

Lmao. You know that LOTRs was a book before it was a film, right?

As for good vampire novels, Interview with the Vampire and The Hunger are definitely up there.
Heh heh heh, no reply = we know the answer.

I'd say the first 3 books of the vampire chronicles are all really good vampire novels. From their they descended into a weird sort of homo-erotic fantasy... ironically, this declension was at the same time as Anne Rice's increasing Catholicism. You know that she wrote a novel about jesus' life? Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

lala2

Banned
HSC
My God you are stupid. LOTR is only boring if you've got the attention span of a rock and an IQ lower than your age.
Actually I have to semi-agree with Ice Goddess here. LOTR is not written in an manner that's easily readable. I made the mistake of reading it before I was ready, and that was when the Fellowship movie first came out. I also made the mistake of seeing the movie (Fellowship) before reading the books, so even though I read The Two Towers and Return of the King before their corresponding movies were released, I couldn't enjoy them because I already had the mentality they'd be boring.

I agree the concepts and the depth of the story--no, more like a saga actually--are fantastic but again, like I said, it takes some perseverance to get through Tolkien's style of writing as opposed to, let's say Rowling. I don't think anyone would disagree Rowling's style of writing is very readable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)