Fantasy novels (1 Viewer)

u-borat

Banned
HSC
yes i would disagree.

rowling is painful to read because its so juvenile.

i read the hobbit and lotr in year 5 and loved it.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Ok u borat, call it juvenile or readable, I think we're agreeing on the relativity scale--Tolkien is harder to read than Rowling.

Last edited:
HSC
My only issue with Tolkien is his pedantic attention to detail. He. Describes. Everything! Goes of on all these little tangents and you finally get back to whats happening and its like wtf what was going on again?

He is a brill writer though. I like Rowling too, no complaint.

Personally, I think HP books were better than the films
and the LOTR films were better than the books.

Then again, I haven't read them since I was like... 12. Should really read that again, eh?

LordPc

HSC
the potter series leans more towards magic realism than fantasy imo. the concept of a fantasy series that doesnt have its own unique world doesnt sit well with me.

u-borat, u seem to be a buff on the subject. I read this book, forging of the darksword, a couple years back. about all I remember is that it had a complicated social system and that it was bad. but I usually hear praise for weis & hickman here and there. I was really turned off by that one book. should I revisit their works? they any good?

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Ok u borat, call it juvenile or readable, I think we're agreeing on the relativity scale--Tolkien is harder to read than Rowling.
Yes, and therefore more enjoyable.
Rowling is easy to read because it's not all that well-written. The concepts are great, and that's what makes it so popular.

LOTR, on the other hand, has both great concepts and fantastic writing. People now find it boring and hard to read because they compare it to Rowling and *shudder* Meyers; mere airport fiction.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
the potter series leans more towards magic realism than fantasy imo. the concept of a fantasy series that doesnt have its own unique world doesnt sit well with me.

u-borat, u seem to be a buff on the subject. I read this book, forging of the darksword, a couple years back. about all I remember is that it had a complicated social system and that it was bad. but I usually hear praise for weis & hickman here and there. I was really turned off by that one book. should I revisit their works? they any good?
I lug most of Weis and Hickman into the rowling category- popcorn fantasy. Reading it is somewhat fun and enjoyable but after you have, you're left with a soiled feeling because of just how poorly the book is written.

<3 tasselhoff but, he's hilarious.

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
read the Trop series by David Gemmell (the last one was finished by his wife after he died)
Awesome series of three, fantasy but still grounded and based around the legendary city of Troy.

Otherwise the star wars expanded universe ( I know it says fantasy but sci fi is fantasy ), a new series has just been released and it is awesome...

seeun0709

HSC
Here are some that I have enjoyed:

Myrren's Gift: the Quickening book one --by Fiona McIntosh
Blood and Memory: the Quickening book two --by Fiona McIntosh
Bridge of Souls: the Quickening book three --by Fiona McIntosh

Magyk: Septimus Heap book one --by Angie Sage
Flyte: Septimus Heap book two --by Angie Sage
Physik: Septimus Heap book three --by Angie Sage
Queste: Septimus Heap book four --by Angie Sage
...and more to come.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. I haven't read them myself, but am going to. If you liked Harry Potter (I certainly have) then you might enjoy these. There are eleven books out but I think the twelfth one is coming out soon.

nitelite

HSC
Ouch. You liked Eragon? Then I'm not sure my choices would appeal to you. Here's a few series I really enjoyed -

A Song of Ice & Fire - George R.R. Martin (Dark fantasy. Very dark. I'm not sure you'd like it, judging from the books that you have read.)
Any of Robin Hobb's books (The Assasin trilogy is said to be her most popular. I liked the Liveship Traders better. C= )
The Night Angel Trilogy (Brent Weeks is WIN)
The First Law Trilogy (Joe Abercrombie is even more WIN)
Magician (It is my personal opinion that Feist's first book was his best, but meh.)

I'm currently getting into David Gemmel, and man he's good. I want to kick myself for not reading him earlier.

But, yeah.
Brent Weeks and Joe Abercrombie. Read them. Love them. Stalk them in their sleep. >:D

I didn't like Wheel of Time. I honestly couldn't get into it. I got halfway through the first book and everything was so 'meh' so I dropped the series after the first book. ><;;

EDIT:
Here are some that I have enjoyed:

Myrren's Gift: the Quickening book one --by Fiona McIntosh

Blood and Memory: the Quickening book two --by Fiona McIntosh

Bridge of Souls: the Quickening book three --by Fiona McIntosh

Magyk: Septimus Heap book one --by Angie Sage

Flyte: Septimus Heap book two --by Angie Sage

Physik: Septimus Heap book three --by Angie Sage

Queste: Septimus Heap book four --by Angie Sage

...and more to come.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. I haven't read them myself, but am going to. If you liked Harry Potter (I certainly have) then you might enjoy these. There are eleven books out but I think the twelfth one is coming out soon.

Whoops. I missed this. I read McIntosh. She was... 'eh'. The concept was great, the execution not so much. When the big bad died it was a little bit of a let-down for me, and so was the flat characterization.

Last edited:

u-borat

Banned
HSC
brent weeks is crap

is that the one with that lame assassin kid

i think it is

and if so, its trashy

similar to mcintosh ironically

di-ane

HSC
I'm a newbie compared to all of you guys - my friends say i'm still childish, but i really like The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott and The Laws of Magic by Michael Pryor ^^

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
If you have the time, read Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series, best fantasy series I've ever read, and im still only half way through (theres 13 books, i think).
I think it'll be 14 all up (the last book, number 12, has become a trilogy of its own).
Be aware that the author died before finishing the series (after book 11), so someone else is finishing it based on the authors notes - but book 12 was just released and is really good and very in line with the previous 11 books.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Random suggestion for those who haven't read it - Dinotopia by James Gurney - its a picture book (sort of) but the artwork is fantastic and the storyline is great too.
They have it a the Kinokunyia (or whatever it's called) bookstore opposite the QVB in the city.

pman

Banned
HSC
if you going to count sci-fi as fantasy (which many do), you can't go past the hitchiker guide...

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
if you going to count sci-fi as fantasy (which many do), you can't go past the hitchiker guide...
Basically just the greatest series of books ever written.

One of my other favourite series is the Inkheart triology by Cornelia Funke. They're kids books but still great. Cornelia Funke is one of my favourite authors.

hotdimsim

HSC
i highly recommend the Wheel of Time series (dont know if its been mentioned yet)

im up to book 8 atm. anyone read the latest one written by the ghost writer? opinions?

Lord Farquad

HSC
yeah no WOT just degenerates into circular drivel by ~book 6. Book 11 is decent and the ghost writer is amazing, Brandon Sanderson is a better author than Jordan bless his soul and i expect the final few to be a decent tie-up of everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)