Fantasy? (1 Viewer)

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
I loved David and Leigh Eddings' books.....the Belgariad/mallorean series is the best of them all :)

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Originally posted by Navjeet
I loved David and Leigh Eddings' books.....the Belgariad/mallorean series is the best of them all :)
I agree but the redemption of althalus was like the same story, different character names. still good though.

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
Originally posted by Persephone87
I agree but the redemption of althalus was like the same story, different character names. still good though.
yes, very true. I read the belgariad/mallorean stories first, so they were awesome. But then I read the elenium/tamuli series', and found that they were also pretty much the same story too.....they're great books in their own right, but yeah...the recycled storyline was a bit annoying. The one thing i dont like abt David and Leigh Eddings is how they try to incorporate a love story into the plot and pair each character up when they really dont need to be.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Navjeet said:
yes, very true. I read the belgariad/mallorean stories first, so they were awesome. But then I read the elenium/tamuli series', and found that they were also pretty much the same story too.....they're great books in their own right, but yeah...the recycled storyline was a bit annoying. The one thing i dont like abt David and Leigh Eddings is how they try to incorporate a love story into the plot and pair each character up when they really dont need to be.
I guess it is a matter of preference but personally I have come to the conclussion from the Belgariad that David Eddings' writing style is very simplistic in terms of a plot/storyline and while this makes it a light enjoyable read it lacks the flair of other books. I do believe however that character development in his novels are wonderful and probably his strong point but I much rather prefer an intricate plot which is why I would have to lean towards Raymond E. Fiest.

On a different note does anyone know whether 'Across the Nightingale Floor' By Lian Hearn is a good novel to buy?

J

jhakka

As was said by many before, Eddings' stories follow the same formulas, though they are great for what they are.

I read the Belgariad/Malloreon again last year and picked up on all the sex jokes. Haha. :D

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i love Eddings and Fiest :D David's stuff is a bit.. simplistic with plot but i like the way he weaves his characters around the plot so that in the end it becomes about the characters... and the plots significance is minimal. Where as Raymond's stuff is very much more about following an elaborate plot, which is great.. if you start from the start of the series. Otherwise you get a bit lost with all the innuendo and then lose yourself all together! But even with that they still stand up by themselves as decent reads. Another 2 interesting authors who run along similar lines are Katherine Kerr and David Gemmell, alot 'heavier' reading for sure... but worth it.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Alright I have to say George RR Martins 'Clash of Thrones" is pretty great, im stuck into it already and I've only just picked it out. It has probably been mentioned but this looks like it may be another big upcoming fantasy series and as far as I know only three books have come out but all supposely good.

Jillie

I am addicted to WOT... I have loved it the whole way through, and didn't think that it got slower as it went on. New Spring is the BEST!

I saw that someone mention JV Jones - I love her too!! I have really enjoyed the Sword of Shadows series. Raif is one of the best characters ever, IMO.

Some of my other favourties are Charles de Lint, Philip Pullman, George RR Martin, and Kim Wilkins (only sorta fantasy, though - she is more horror.)

I can't stand Goodkind tho. Sorry! I stopped reading them a couple of books ago...

J

jhakka

Isn't Wheel of Time that series that has like 15 books and is still going?

Jillie

It only has 10 (and a novella) ... and yes, its still going.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Jillie said:
I am addicted to WOT... I have loved it the whole way through, and didn't think that it got slower as it went on. New Spring is the BEST!

I saw that someone mention JV Jones - I love her too!! I have really enjoyed the Sword of Shadows series. Raif is one of the best characters ever, IMO.

Some of my other favourties are Charles de Lint, Philip Pullman, George RR Martin, and Kim Wilkins (only sorta fantasy, though - she is more horror.)

I can't stand Goodkind tho. Sorry! I stopped reading them a couple of books ago...
I think WOT has slowed down with the last couple of books and while they are still reasonably well written, the pace and flair is definitely lacking comparitive to the opening books of the series . I haven't read New Spring so I can't comment on that but if it is that good I might have to get a copy.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Tommy_Lamp said:
Raymond E Feist is the greatest:

Riftwar Saga and the Serpent War Saga, best books ever
Personally I didn't find the Serpent War Saga as good as the Riftwar, not exactly sure why that is but I just felt the Riftwar Saga was better in particular with the characters. Conclave of the Shadows is good but written differently to the other books.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
ohh riftwar was fucking awesome, love milamber and tomas :D

i agree serpentwar wasnt as good, but it still rocked :D

Jillie

billbro said:
I haven't read New Spring so I can't comment on that but if it is that good I might have to get a copy.
It is the best. Lan is my favourite character, so thats a huge reason why I liked this book - but you get to learn a heap more about Moiraine, which is also cool. Its really weird to see her as a novice!

billbro

HSC
N/A
Jillie said:
It is the best. Lan is my favourite character, so thats a huge reason why I liked this book - but you get to learn a heap more about Moiraine, which is also cool. Its really weird to see her as a novice!
I will get a copy after I have finished with George RR Martin and Lian Hearn. Lan is a very cool character but you have to love a guy who has magical powers and voices in his head so Rand would have to be my favourite.

evanish

HSC
N/A
I didn't realise that there were so many ppl who like to read fantasy...hehehe... i lOVE fantasy books. Which may be why i can't stand reading the prescibed texts at school..BORING. I'd have to say that i loved the Phillip Pullman and Raymond. E. Feist. Has anyone mention J.K Rowling? I don't care what anyone else thinks...i think she's unbeliveable when it comes to her plots and the way things unravel.

cameronS

HSC
raymond e feist is the only fantasy writer i can read.

he fuckings owns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)