• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Fantasy? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I just now finished reading 'Prince of the Blood'. Feist is great.
before i make my comment let it be known ive only read
Magician
Silverthorn
Darkness at Sethanon
the first of the serpent war dont remember the name(read by accident)
&
Prince of the Blood
(all during the last term of year 12 when i should have been studying)
in my opinion Feist builds up an event only to bring everything to a sudden holt
eg. 'Darkness at sethanon' other than the great battle of Armengar the battle at sethanon is finished in about 3, 4 pages.
just now after reading Prince of the blood when Borric finally arrives at the heart of Kesh and only a small little fight seems to undergo through the palace walls. as i read all i wanted Borric to do once he was lead into the trap by Miya (or something) was to shout "Men of the Isle's, to me to me" and become encaptured in the struggle of the two nations in combat. however this never happened to my dissapointment.

im not that disheartened, however at the moment im tossing up between reading "kings buccaneer" "Starship troopers" by heinlen???? or maybe even reading the 'saga of the exiles by julian may' which i found in my fathers collection.

keladry

lady knight
HSC
Argonaut said:
Yes, I remember thinking Sethanon was far too short fo such a major battle. The same thing happened in Serpentwar, the Siege of Krondor was hadly a siege. If fantasy authors don't cut the battles and action short, then they're confusing as all hell. Even Tolkein did it, I had no idea at all as to what was going on at Helm's Deep and the Pelennor Fields.
well i suppose the movies can fill in the gaps in a way lol. battles in fantasy do have a way of being cut short. the descriptions of battles can get confusing if they go on for too long. and there's the fact that war can be boring, esp sieges. they can go on for years with only a few major events. still at least u knew it happened, which is better than something not happening at all, or being a footnote in the epilogue of book (i know someone's done that before, can't remember who tho).

cole-

HSC
N/A
Rather narrow-mindedly, I read nothing but this.

As it says on the back of her books, Robin Hobb is in a class all on her own.

Among my new favourites is Lady Pain by Rebecca Bradley. I picked it up in London for a quid. Score. It's fantastically funny, with great elements of the surreal.

There are some seriously brilliant Australian Fantasy authors too. Sara Douglass, Kate Forsyth, Traci Harding, Fiona McIntosh.

Raymond E. Feist is a must of course, and David Eddings.

God, I love this genre.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)