Favourite High Court Justice (1 Viewer)

Favourite Justice?

• Total voters

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Kirby's cool, he forworded my legal textbook and his pro-gay rights...yay.

L

LaraB

I htink Kirbys cool caus he isnt too worried by dissenting, ie he'll actually do it. His judgements are fairly easy to read, his reasoning's always clear and altho he is obviousloy pro rights of certain groups, its not evident as such in his rulings which is a good thing:)

i think he's taking a more modern, and i think as a result, better, approach to the law than some of the other oldies :p

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
LaraB said:
i think he's taking a more modern, and i think as a result, better, approach to the law than some of the other oldies :p
Oh no, judicial activism has been around long before Kirby. :p

L

LaraB

neo_o said:
Oh no, judicial activism has been around long before Kirby. :p
um duh:p

i said i think he's taking a more modern approach than some others - judiciasl activisim doesnt necessarily meana more modern approach...

i mean that kirby's views, i think, keep up with societal views and events more than the others

i mean, what judge doesnt exerciser some form of jusicial activism, be it on purpose of not lol:p its a hazard of the job

= Jennifer =

HSC
Kirby J definately gets my vote....McHugh's judgments are too long, Gummow J i just like his name :p , Heydon J makes very very brief judgments, Gleeson CJ pretty logical man

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Gleeson is my fav, I find he often has brilliant clarity - very sleek judgments. He's also not a bad speaker, has an intimidating grasp of the law (suprise suprise) and has a very scary death stare that he inadvertantly assumes randomly while speaking.

Kirby, Denning and Dixon are my runner-ups. Gummow, while obviously an extremely knowledable man, tends to write rather difficult judgments... he doesn't structure them as clearly. Callinan is often overly verbose and archaic with his language. McHugh is a reasonable chap, albeit a bit boring sometimes.

I think Gummow and Gaudron must have had the hots for each other lol... they wrote heaps of joint judgments
Rorix said:
http://www.absoluteanime.com/kirby/kirby.gif
Haha

The resemblance is uncanny too

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Kirby is one man.
Not Kirby is several men.
:. P(Me liking Not Kirby)>P(Me liking Kirby)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Kirby is one man.
Not Kirby is several men.
:. P(Me liking Not Kirby)>P(Me liking Kirby)
lol

"not kirby" = "[someone who is] not Kirby"

die maths man die

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I'm still waiting on Kirby's yearly motivational speech at our school.

yourdad

HSC
N/A
Kirby definitely the best

I usually find Kirby the easiest to read, and his reasoning makes more sense. I remember in crim, we had to read Clifton James Cutter v The Queen where this drunk guy stabbed a cop in the throat and Kirby's dissenting judgment was basically 'listen up dumbasses, if you stab someone in the throat then you have intent to kill them'.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't think he "makes more sense". You could make the argument he uses more "common sense" maybe.

Despite being the most difficult to understand (in my opinion), Gummow is widely regarded as the intellectual heart of the HC

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Dixon, Mason and more recently Gleeson - all simple to understand (in the cases I read anyway)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)