• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Federal Budget 2009-10 (3 Viewers)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
HOW CAN YOU NOT DISLIKE THIS BUDGET???!!!!

plz, any reasons why it is good would be much appreciated because i can't see anything....
Pensioners don't have to rely as much on dog food to maintain a balanced diet anymore?

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
They could in an unregulated economy.

And yeah, fuck rural people. They may have to move. Deal with it. Things change. That's how we progress. If we were going to protect every job, and every existing lifestyle pattern we'd never get anywhere.
I think if government regulation was going to wipe out your job you'd be a lot less sanguine.

Josh22

HSC
Pensioners don't have to rely as much on dog food to maintain a balanced diet anymore?
yep thats totally true :D thats a good point, but almost conversely the government has lowered the amount you can put into your superannuation fund and raised taxes when placing money in or taking money out of your the fund.
This ultimately results in the pensioners just relying upon this lowly amount of pension money rather than continuing with pension AND good superannuation installations, so where kinda screwing over the future pensioners anyway :(

blue_chameleon

HSC
Tally from Swan's Budget Speech:

Supporting Jobs 7
Global Recession 9
Stimulating Economy 4
Nation Building 13
Unprecedented 3
Pensioners 13
Working Families 6
Hard Choices 6
Unemployment 4

Not sure if these are exact, as I lost interest after a while when he rambled on about how much 'investing in infrastructure' they were doing.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Hockey was pretty impressive when Laurie Oakes was questioning him on Nine News.

Especially when I thought Laurie had a Labor alliance?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I agree. Hockey looked composed and bemused at the same time. Swan looked like he was clutching at straws.

Oakes: "I have been doing budgets for 40 years. I have never heard the budget deficit/surplus not mentioned in the speech". Swan "um...ahhh.... I said the current accounts deficit numerous times".

Lolled at Oakes' poster at the start too. Amusing because like you I always viewed him as staunchly Labor. Labor will hit back tomorrow no doubt on the 7.30 Report. Uncle Kerry will give Swan/Rudd an armchair ride.

blue_chameleon

HSC
I agree. Hockey looked composed and bemused at the same time. Swan looked like he was clutching at straws.

Oakes: "I have been doing budgets for 40 years. I have never heard the budget deficit/surplus not mentioned in the speech". Swan "um...ahhh.... I said the current accounts deficit numerous times".

Lolled at Oakes' poster at the start too. Amusing because like you I always viewed him as staunchly Labor. Labor will hit back tomorrow no doubt on the 7.30 Report. Uncle Kerry will give Swan/Rudd an armchair ride.
Yeah, I thought the poster was a little odd given Oakes' stature in the media world. A little immature, even if he needed to make Swan squirm over the budget. Squirm he certainly did.

Really, this budget is tame and being played against the election. Hardly "tough" on spending cuts. Did I hear correctly when Hockey pointed out budget cuts being a total of 1% of planned spending?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Over the next five years, yes.

Hockey played to the oppositions few remaining strengths. Wisely brought the small businesses into it. The big question is: does the electorate actually care about the budget?

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

HSC
The big question is: does the electorate actually care about the budget?
I posed this question in the Aus Politics thread, and I think it's an interesting point. I'd love to find out how the broad Baby Boomers generation are receiving the magnitude of debt the government are putting Australia in.

I don't really think the majority of Australians do care tbh.

Lentern

HSC
I posed this question in the Aus Politics thread, and I think it's an interesting point. I'd love to find out how the broad Baby Boomers generation are receiving the magnitude of debt the government are putting Australia in.

I don't really think the majority of Australians do care tbh.
It's curious your right. To my knowlege no other country in the world makes such a big about budgets. And all the press lauded Costello's final budget as his best recieved one, yet the libs lost the same year. So do the voters care or is it a journalstic elitism kind of thing? It's largely just a bunch of aspirations and projections with very little binding material in it whatsoever.

blue_chameleon

HSC
It's curious your right. To my knowlege no other country in the world makes such a big about budgets. And all the press lauded Costello's final budget as his best recieved one, yet the libs lost the same year. So do the voters care or is it a journalstic elitism kind of thing? It's largely just a bunch of aspirations and projections with very little binding material in it whatsoever.
...more specifically regarding the nearly $200 billion in debt we'll be pushed into? I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'd say i'm more worried than my grandparents would be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)