Federal Election (1 Viewer)

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: 2016 Federal Election

Solo is an idiot. The Australian Labor party has not swung far too the left and into bed with the Greens. The ALP in 2013 is the most right wing/ Conservative Labor outfit Australia has ever produced, just take a look at former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's PNG Solution. Kevin Rudd promised to terminate the carbon tax and replace it with a more cost effective/ lower carbon price in order to enhance international competitiveness and lower power bills.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Solo is an idiot. The Australian Labor party has not swung far too the left and into bed with the Greens. The ALP in 2013 is the most right wing/ Conservative Labor outfit Australia has ever produced, just take a look at former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's PNG Solution. Kevin Rudd promised to terminate the carbon tax and replace it with a more cost effective/ lower carbon price in order to enhance international competitiveness and lower power bills.
Mainstream enough that they got just 33% of the vote. If Labor doesn't change they won't survive in the future.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
If you're going to say silly things then knock yourself out but don't imply that I've said them by prefacing your silliness with "I agree."
I didn't say anything silly and I was agreeing with you.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Mainstream enough that they got just 33% of the vote. If Labor doesn't change they won't survive in the future.
If a third of the country isn't consider mainstream then I don't think you understand what the word means.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It's interesting that a lot of people are complaining that Abbott doesn't have enough women on his frontbench. Although the reality is that you promote people based on merit, not sex.

Lentern

HSC

I didn't say anything silly and I was agreeing with you.
I said nothing about Labor needing to lurch, I said they need to scale back their association with the trade union movement. If anything the ACTU often find themselves dragging Labor to the right with their socially conservative membership and their opposition to policies which may cost their members jobs(aside from IR).

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It's interesting that a lot of people are complaining that Abbott doesn't have enough women on his frontbench. Although the reality is that you promote people based on merit, not sex.
So you're saying that the LNP only has 1 competent female member? I don't really know if that's any better.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

So you're saying that the LNP only has 1 competent female member? I don't really know if that's any better.
For positions in the cabinet, yes. Competency isn't enough. It's imperative that a candidate for the Cabinet has the sufficient experience to hold the role.

Personally, I think the problem is much deeper than just failing to allocate roles to women. It's worth having a look a the pre-selection process for the past couple of elections to gather whether women on the conservative side of politics are feeling disengaged (it's very much a chicken or the egg scenario). The problem could actually be worse than people are actually making it out to be which is a shame,

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad

Solo fails to realize that the Australian Labor Party won almost 47 per cent of the 2 party preferred vote in the 2013 federal election. In Australia we live in an electoral system where it is two party preferred.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad

Tony Abbott is a man who makes our patriarchal society great. I don't believe in female affirmative action instead I believe promotion based on merit. I think that Tony Abbott is making some hard decisions in the national interest.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad

Labor slams the government's budget stall tactic.
Source: AFR
Prime Minister Tony Abbott is conceding defeat when it comes to economic management. Joe Hockey Treasurer of Australia admitted that his economic management skills are not up to scratch. The Coalition government announced that it will break a key promise made to the Australian people about releasing the budget update in September, known as the Mid Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
For positions in the cabinet, yes. Competency isn't enough. It's imperative that a candidate for the Cabinet has the sufficient experience to hold the role.

Personally, I think the problem is much deeper than just failing to allocate roles to women. It's worth having a look a the pre-selection process for the past couple of elections to gather whether women on the conservative side of politics are feeling disengaged (it's very much a chicken or the egg scenario). The problem could actually be worse than people are actually making it out to be which is a shame,
Yeah agreed. I actually don't think Abbot purposely excluded women, but I think it's a greater worry that there was only 1 that was seen as sufficiently qualified.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It's also worth considering how many women are receptive to conservative politics as well. It might be no surprise that Cabinet has so few women when I assume that the number of women which identify with the Coalition's ideologies would be lower compared to Labor and the other leftist parties.

In fact, it would be "good PR" for the Coalition if they did pick more women. On that basis I'm inclined to believe that this isn't an example of Abbott being anti-women. I think people thinking otherwise aren't looking at the issue as critically add they could be.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

you have to consider who succeeds in the liberal party: barristers, bankers, and senior executives, each of which are overwhelmingly male-dominated positions.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I want the AAO to come out, in still not sure if Sinodinos or Ciobo is my new minister

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
In fact, it would be "good PR" for the Coalition if they did pick more women. On that basis I'm inclined to believe that this isn't an example of Abbott being anti-women. I think people thinking otherwise aren't looking at the issue as critically add they could be.
I agree they should have added more women so they don't look sexist.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
2016 Federal Election

Head of Agriculture , climate change and industry departments sacked

Edit: canberra times made a boo boo immigration chief still there

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Once again you fail to understand how the public service works.
I understand that it is inefficient and where many people go to retire. The liberals will hopefully remove many of the public servants and cut down the APS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)