Fight of the century! (1 Viewer)

Who will win?

• Total voters

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
You had a good post until this foolish statement. Floyd has a case for being the best boxer there ever was. Fine, it is arguable (personally i think Ali take it followed by Sugar Ray and Rocky Marciano) but Floyd is definitely up there and might even be the best of the best.

Floyd is a smart boxer. He adjusts to different styles and deals with them effectively. This may lead to boring fights for the casual viewers, but it cements his skill as being superb. Every one who knows boxing recognises Floyd as being the best of this era and arguably the best ever.

There is no boxer currently that will beat Floyd. I think there is one to challenge him and give him problems, but still not defeat him - Amir Khan.

The way he won shows that he is one hell of a smart effective great boxer capable of outsmarting previous greats.
what case lol? He ducks every rematch offered to him, won against ortiz in perhaps one of the most unsportsman-like victories of all time, has nowhere near the entertainment value of any of the other greats (the fight was an total snoozefest), has a great unbeaten career that is nevertheless not the longest undefeated streak anyway (sugar ray had about 91 matches in his unbeaten streak). He defs beat manny but in a less than emphatic manner and only accepted to fight manny when manny has been well past his prime (manny's record for his last 5 matches is 3-2). Not to mention that regardless of his skill as a boxer he is incredibly unlikeable, and being popular among boxing fans and the world is incredibly important to "greatness"

"Greatness is not guarding yourself from the people, greatness is being accepted by the people. " as Mike Tyson said. He is a fantastic boxer and skill wise he is definitely one of the greats, but his conduct will hold him back from being considered a legend in the same vein as the rest

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
what case lol? He ducks every rematch offered to him, won against ortiz in perhaps one of the most unsportsman-like victories of all time, has nowhere near the entertainment value of any of the other greats (the fight was an total snoozefest), has a great unbeaten career that is nevertheless not the longest undefeated streak anyway (sugar ray had about 91 matches in his unbeaten streak). He defs beat manny but in a less than emphatic manner and only accepted to fight manny when manny has been well past his prime (manny's record for his last 5 matches is 3-2). Not to mention that regardless of his skill as a boxer he is incredibly unlikeable, and being popular among boxing fans and the world is incredibly important to "greatness"

"Greatness is not guarding yourself from the people, greatness is being accepted by the people. " as Mike Tyson said. He is a fantastic boxer and skill wise he is definitely one of the greats, but his conduct will hold him back from being considered a legend in the same vein as the rest
I agree with the fact that there are other factors to be considered the greatest. That's why i have Ali as the all time best.

Floyd was dominating Ortiz in the fight. Ortiz had no chance of winning. Ortiz made a crucial boxing mistake of letting his guard down during a fight. No.1 rule in boxing is to never let your guard down under all circumstances during the fight, even if touching up with your opponent. After the loss ortiz showed what a crap boxer he is by losing every match thereafter.

I know most people see Floyd as an unlike-able character and touted Manny as the people's man, as if it was good vs evil. But in actuality Floyd is one of the best boxers whose beaten everyone out there. Yes he has done some cherry picking here and there but as of late his opponents have been of the best quality and he's made them seem as average fighters. In terms of his personality, few people manage to understand that it is simply, as he put it in his words, a 'smokescreen' to who he truly is.

si2136

HSC
N/A
If you searched Google carefully, there would be plenty of links :eek:

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
Once again, believe it or not, this 'hugging' is a technique in boxing. It is used in every match by every boxer in each round. Goes to show this is clearly the first time a lot of people are watching a boxing match.

The purpose of the 'hugging' is to clinch the other player so as he cannot fire any more shots. It is a cunning form of defence apart from the straight fist glove defending. I keep seeing these types of comments on social media 'oh Mayweather's a pussy, he kept running away and defending and hugging'. All us true boxing fans are just doing a massive facepalm. The running acually earns you more points as it shows ring presence and the clinching as i said is a cunning tactical form of defence.

lol.

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)