tbrooke18

HSC
Hey!

For our exam-replacement task coming up quite soon, we have to gather approximately 30 quotes and analyse the techniques used in them in relation to the three themes chosen, but I'm struggling to locate techniques within many of my quotes.

For the theme of dealing with grief, I've chosen several quotes but just need help finding the literary techniques inside them.

• Suddenly I was sucked deeper into that long black tunnel, the memories of Fin and Daniel and how we once were, and the worst thing, the knowing. Knowing more than anything I'd ever know that things would never be the same. (p. 51)
I wasn't sure but I thought perhaps imagery could apply here.

• The shriek of Matt’s discovery rang through the black night’s sky. We held onto each other, our sobs and choking breath not the only sounds to be heard. For louder than us, much louder, was the piercing silence of the dead. (p. 79)
I thought of talking about the oxymoron 'piercing silence of the dead' being louder than their cries.

• ‘Give him my love,’ she whispered. ‘Tell him I’m always thinking of him.’ (p. 132)
I thought for this quote I could talk about literal language because it is actually all her character does. She mopes around the place and neglects the rest of her family due to her mind constantly being on her imprisoned son, and she fails to really see the other perspectives (e.g. of the surviving victim, of all the victims' families).

• I thought of those words when the men walked on the moon: ‘One small step for man. One giant leap for mankind.’ ‘Cause today, for my family, that’s what it was like. (p. 157)
I thought this could possibly be a hyperbole as he's only really speaking about his mother getting out of bed for the first time since they moved after the accident, though it is a big step for Tess, and it dramatises the event.

If you can spot any issues or any other techniques I'd be happy to accept feedback or any sort of assistance.

Thanks!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello,

"Suddenly I was sucked deeper into that long black tunnel, the memories of Fin and Daniel and how we once were, and the worst thing, the knowing. Knowing more than anything I'd ever know that things would never be the same."

Imagery could be a technique used in this quote, as imagery generally aims to create an idea or mental image of something to ensure audiences have a very clear idea of what is happening and how it all looks.

I'm thinking of figurative language since it consists of language, words and/or expressions that have meaning beyond their literal interpretation, particularly being "sucked deeper into that long black tunnel".

I think a motif would also apply to this quote, considering that it is usually an idea, symbol, object, concept or theme that is always present throughout a whole text and plays a significant and/or symbolic role in the narrative. You could link this directly to the theme of grief.

"The shriek of Matt’s discovery rang through the black night’s sky. We held onto each other, our sobs and choking breath not the only sounds to be heard. For louder than us, much louder, was the piercing silence of the dead."

As I read the quote, I immediately thought of an oxymoron in "the piercing silence of the dead" and noticed that this was also the technique you identified. I definitely think that an oxymoron here is valid.

I think there might be a personification of the "shriek of Matt's discovery" which "rang through the black night's sky", emphasising the importance of Matt's discovery.

"Give him my love,’ she whispered. ‘Tell him I’m always thinking of him."

Literal language may be an appropriate technique to talk about since it effectively demonstrates the character's personality and it seems that you would be able to elaborate on this further.

I was also thinking of atmosphere/mood. The words "love", "whispered" and "always thinking of him" create an atmosphere characterised by the feeling of love and the deep connection that a mother has with her son.

"I thought of those words when the men walked on the moon: ‘One small step for man. One giant leap for mankind.’ ‘Cause today, for my family, that’s what it was like."

I also think a hyperbole would be appropriate when analysing this quote based on your analysis. Furthering the dramatisation effect you mentioned would be syntax. Sentences in this quote and the way they are structured, such as in 'One small step for man. One giant leap for mankind." (in this case, the repetition of the word "One" allows for a larger emphasis on the significance of this event.

I hope this helps! 😄

tbrooke18

HSC
Hello,

"Suddenly I was sucked deeper into that long black tunnel, the memories of Fin and Daniel and how we once were, and the worst thing, the knowing. Knowing more than anything I'd ever know that things would never be the same."

Imagery could be a technique used in this quote, as imagery generally aims to create an idea or mental image of something to ensure audiences have a very clear idea of what is happening and how it all looks.

I'm thinking of figurative language since it consists of language, words and/or expressions that have meaning beyond their literal interpretation, particularly being "sucked deeper into that long black tunnel".

I think a motif would also apply to this quote, considering that it is usually an idea, symbol, object, concept or theme that is always present throughout a whole text and plays a significant and/or symbolic role in the narrative. You could link this directly to the theme of grief.

"The shriek of Matt’s discovery rang through the black night’s sky. We held onto each other, our sobs and choking breath not the only sounds to be heard. For louder than us, much louder, was the piercing silence of the dead."

As I read the quote, I immediately thought of an oxymoron in "the piercing silence of the dead" and noticed that this was also the technique you identified. I definitely think that an oxymoron here is valid.

I think there might be a personification of the "shriek of Matt's discovery" which "rang through the black night's sky", emphasising the importance of Matt's discovery.

"Give him my love,’ she whispered. ‘Tell him I’m always thinking of him."

Literal language may be an appropriate technique to talk about since it effectively demonstrates the character's personality and it seems that you would be able to elaborate on this further.

I was also thinking of atmosphere/mood. The words "love", "whispered" and "always thinking of him" create an atmosphere characterised by the feeling of love and the deep connection that a mother has with her son.

"I thought of those words when the men walked on the moon: ‘One small step for man. One giant leap for mankind.’ ‘Cause today, for my family, that’s what it was like."

I also think a hyperbole would be appropriate when analysing this quote based on your analysis. Furthering the dramatisation effect you mentioned would be syntax. Sentences in this quote and the way they are structured, such as in 'One small step for man. One giant leap for mankind." (in this case, the repetition of the word "One" allows for a larger emphasis on the significance of this event.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thanks so much for your help! Your insight helped me loads with my practice essays, and I was able to then write a better essay in the task I just sat. :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks so much for your help! Your insight helped me loads with my practice essays, and I was able to then write a better essay in the task I just sat. :)
No worries, great to know this was helpful! Congratulations on successfully completing your task!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)