Finding the greatest term in binomial expansions HELP NEEDED! (1 Viewer)

blackops23

HSC
Hi guys, new to binomials here, just wondering what you would do in these types of questions:

1. Find the greatest term in (1+3x)^7 if x = 2/5

2. Find the greatest coefficient in the expansion of (1+ (2/3)x)^10

So what do you do with these? Can someone please provide a solution of the quickest solution?

Thank you, appreciate the help!

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Greatest term occurs when:

i.e. when:

Last edited:

b3kh1t

HSC
Greatest term occurs when:

i.e. when:
The method I use would be the same for either of the questions. However the only difference is for the greatest term you are given the x value so you substitue it into the equation and get

You do not solve though, you then write it in the form Drongoski said, so and you solve from there.

Attempt the question now and let me know if you have further troubles.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Some books derive a standard formula for the ratio:

which, if allowed, simplifies your work somewhat.

math man

HSC
N/A
I never understood this. If Tk+1/Tk is >= 1, couldn't it be alot of things?
What this is actually trying to work out is which term (k+1) is greater than every other term k, the reason for the is cause there can sometimes be two greatest terms such in the expansion of

we see here that there are two greatest terms, and this actually will be the case for all odd powered expansions of just (1 +x) for n>0.

So in this case how would we determine if there are two greatest terms?

Well what would usually happen is that for:

you would get:

where M is a positive integer. When you get an integer in the equality you must test the number M, then either the number one greater than for or the number one less than M depending on the inequality.

I hope this helps you understand the greatest coef

math man

HSC
N/A
And to actually answer this question:

We want to find the greatest coef of the expansion, and the greatest coef is given by:

Now some tests actually make you derive the formula for the greatest coef, so ill do that here:

First remember the general term is given by:

Therefore,

Equating the part becomes:

Using the definition for combinations and indice laws this simplifies to:

Then we simplify this further to:

We further simply this again to:

And finally we arrive at:

Now we can use this formula to find the greatest term in your question:

Now we have:

n=7

a=1

Our aim is to find k, so we can work out the term, , which has the greatest coef.

So first we sub these into the formula i derived above:

and solve:

Subbing are above values this becomes:

and now we solve this for k:

and we get:

Therefore this means k=4 will give us our greatest coef, and that means is the greatest coef, which im sure you can evaluate now

Last edited:

blackops23

HSC
So in this case how would we determine if there are two greatest terms?

Well what would usually happen is that for:

you would get:

where M is a positive integer. When you get an integer in the equality you must test the number M, then either the number one greater than for or the number one less than M depending on the inequality.

I hope this helps you understand the greatest coef
Thankyou for the help math man, but I just have a few questions: On mathsonline.com.au, the guy in the video said you do T(k+1)/T(k) > 1 --> that is there is no inequality... I did a few exercises from the website and there were times where i got k < 6 --> i.e. a whole integer - and so I made k = 5, so T(k+1) = T(6) --> which turned out to be the CORRECT ANSWER --> basically I did not include the equality sign and use k=6, and yet the answer was still right

So do I need to include the inequality? The example you used to illustrate the occurrence of two greatest terms was (1+x)^3 --> but correct me if I am wrong, but would the occurrence of two greatest terms only occur if it was (1+x)^n, where n is odd?

Thank you, please explain to your best ability, thank you very much, appreciate the help!

Last edited:

blackops23

HSC
Thankyou for the help math man, but I just have a few questions: On mathsonline.com.au, the guy in the video said you do T(k+1)/T(k) > 1 --> that is there is no inequality... I did a few exercises from the website and there were times where i got k < 6 --> i.e. a whole integer - and so I made k = 5, so T(k+1) = T(6) --> which turned out to be the CORRECT ANSWER --> basically I did not include the equality sign and use k=6, and yet the answer was still right

So do I need to include the inequality? The example you used to illustrate the occurrence of two greatest terms was (1+x)^3 --> but correct me if I am wrong, but would the occurrence of two greatest terms only occur if it was (1+x)^n, where n is odd?

Thank you, please explain to your best ability, thank you very much, appreciate the help!
someone please answer my question LOL thanks

nightweaver066

HSC
someone please answer my question LOL thanks
You must use as you end up with exactly the same two terms but them being the greatest.

For your question, you ended up with so k = 6. You end up with it being 2 terms that are equal.

If it were , you must take and end up with only 1 term.

Remember the condition you used,
if the ratio between them two is
As you take a whole integer that is below 3.24, it becomes . If you could somehow take 3.24 (but you cannot in a question), it would be

So back to what you ended up with,

So you take the integer k = 6, and since T(k+1) = T(k), T(7) = T(6) and so you can evaluate either of those and end up with the greatest term.

Also, it does not matter if n is odd or not. Not all binomials given to you are in the form of (1 + ax)^n. They can be . If a binomial was in the form of (1 + x)^n where n is odd, you would end up with 2 term being the same and greater than all other terms.

Last edited:

math man

HSC
N/A

Yeh the expansion of (1+x) to the n, if n is odd will always have two greatest coef's as i did say before. And for your above example, sub k=6 in and see if it is the same answer, then get back to me
The reason for the equality part is there can be two greatest terms as i said before, so subbing k=5 is right, but sub k=6 and tell me what you get

Last edited:

Peeik

HSC
Hey just something very random......how do you guys write stuff like those equations so professionally on this website?? Please let me know so i can answer too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)