FINS1613 query (1 Viewer)

halapenyo

HSC
"We will make the marking more generous for the subject. To accommodate this, your final score will be the maximum of (a) final = 75% of the course; tutorial = 25% of the course, or (b) final = 50% of the course; tutorial = 50% of the course."

this was posted by the fins1613 lecturer on blackboard. could someone explain to me what they mean?

im guessing this means if you stuff up the tutorials but ace the final they will do (a) instead of (b).

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I'm guessing that's what they mean too, nice of them I suppose

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
If he is, we are all done for. He's finally "exercising his rights"

halapenyo

HSC
pretty extreme reaction though. brb setting hardest quiz imaginable to get back at those meddling kids.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I reckon the final will be just as hard. Papers had to be submitted weeks ago for approval and printing. If he wrote it while annoyed at being disrupted in lectures, good luck.

The fact that he has changed the assessment criteria now to benefit yous would support this argument (as it is way too late for him to change the exam now).

BiancaC

HSC
Yeah, but difference is we had 20 minutes to do 3 questions last week (close to 7 minutes a question). With that kind of time, you would expect difficult questions. In the final, we only have 2 hours to do 50 questions (2.4 minutes a question). He can't make the final as hard as last weeks quiz because no one would finish it.

Besides Mark (not Kyung) put out the annoucement about the changing mark structure on blackboard this morning. Makes me think that maybe Mark wrote part of the paper as well, so it may not be as hard as what Kyung would have written.

Last edited:

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, but difference is we had 20 minutes to do 3 questions last week (close to 7 minutes a question). With that kind of time, you would expect difficult questions. In the final, we only have 2 hours to do 50 questions (2.4 minutes a question). He can't the final as hard as last weeks quiz because no one would finish it.

Besides Mark (not Kyung) put out the annoucement about the changing mark structure on blackboard this morning. Makes me think that maybe Mark wrote part of the paper as well, so it may not be as hard as what Kyung would have written.
Let's hope so. I basically stuffed up my tutorials, so I really need good exam marks to pass this course. *sweatdrop*

But seriously. This announcement made me so happy, I wanted to cry. Now maybe, maybe I'll pass this course! *tears of joy*

packwolf

HSC
Mark wrote the first half of the test because those are the lectures he presented and kyung is writing the second half of the test.

Source: Kyung told us in the last lecture

HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I knew, Mark wrote test 1, Peter Andersen wrote test 2, Kyung wrote test 3 and 4.

BiancaC

HSC
Well its better than Kyung writing the entire thing!

And yeah no wonder test 2 was so good

JustJackie

HSC
Uni Grad
Well its better than Kyung writing the entire thing!

And yeah no wonder test 2 was so good
He just took one of last sem's quiz papers so I wouldn't call it writing it, maybe 're-writing'.

To answer the initial question, that is exactly what it means. Doesn't seem to be any other way to interpret it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)